[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ESPN Site to restrictive on IR

gschnauzer

When making reserve moves ESPN is to restrictive. Players are out for weeks but ESPN makes them Questionable or Doubtful which means you can't pick up players. Any other free sites that let you have good live scoring and transactions but aren't as restrictive. Just looking for some direction for next year. Thanks

ESPN doesn't make the questionable or doubtful, the team and the NFL do.

Easier solution is just get rid of IR and add an extra roster slot for everyone

This, though, in redrafts, I am more of a fan of making owners manage their rosters and make the tough decision about whether or not to hold on to an injured player that takes up a valuable roster spot or dump them for a more immediate need.

This, though, in redrafts, I am more of a fan of making owners manage their rosters and make the tough decision about whether or not to hold on to an injured player that takes up a valuable roster spot or dump them for a more immediate need.

I agree with this as well but didn't want to get into a rant about how redrafts shouldn't even have IR

Wouldn't that be the opposite effect? If a guy is out for the year, that redraft is going to drop him like a hot potato. It's the keeper guy that's going to agonize over whether or not Victor Cruz is worth holding long term and will bounce back or if he should be dropped for immediate help. Even guys not on NFL IR, but in bad shape, say Montee Ball, there's more motivation keeper-wise to keep him than there is for immediate help. Ball may not get on the field again this year, and if he does it's probably going to be in a share, but man I'd still like to see if that lottery ticket can pay off next year when he's fully healthy. In a redraft there's no reason to hold him right now.

I think IR has value in redrafts when byes and inuries kick in at the same time. Look at Calvin Johnson. He's been dead weight for the heart of the bye season. Holding him against your active roster is a killer, and if you get into a nasty bye situation he can cost you losses. Yes, more roster spots solves that, but takes away from the week-to-week FA pool, a staple in redraft leagues. I don't want an owner forced to drop Calvin because Maclin is on bye so he's gotta go grab Andre Holmes and pray for the best.

Wouldn't that be the opposite effect? If a guy is out for the year, that redraft is going to drop him like a hot potato. It's the keeper guy that's going to agonize over whether or not Victor Cruz is worth holding long term and will bounce back or if he should be dropped for immediate help. Even guys not on NFL IR, but in bad shape, say Montee Ball, there's more motivation keeper-wise to keep him than there is for immediate help. Ball may not get on the field again this year, and if he does it's probably going to be in a share, but man I'd still like to see if that lottery ticket can pay off next year when he's fully healthy. In a redraft there's no reason to hold him right now.

I think IR has value in redrafts when byes and inuries kick in at the same time. Look at Calvin Johnson. He's been dead weight for the heart of the bye season. Holding him against your active roster is a killer, and if you get into a nasty bye situation he can cost you losses. Yes, more roster spots solves that, but takes away from the week-to-week FA pool, a staple in redraft leagues. I don't want an owner forced to drop Calvin because Maclin is on bye so he's gotta go grab Andre Holmes and pray for the best.

You Calvin Johnson situation is exactly the tough decision owners should have to face. If you play in a league with a very short bench, these are the things you will, and should, face.

With a slightly deeper bench, you can make other moves. Heck, in one league I am in we have 10 starting spots and only a 16 man roster. I only carried one QB, 1 kicker and 1 defense for the majority of the season, and still held on to Hillman through his first injury hoping he would come back ok. At times I would drop my backup TE to be able to keep more. To me, that is the fun of fantasy football - making tough roster decisions, taking chances, etc.

Thanks for the input. I think ESPN makes the designations early as NFL does not change status til Wednesday at the earliest. We have a simple rule that you do not have to activate a player from IR until he plays in a game and with ESPN we can't handle that. I suppose we could add an additional roster spot but figured there must be a better free site out there. We had been with CBS for quite some time, actually the only online service we ever used. The league is in its 29th year so we have been around the block with rules/redrafts/keepers etc. Thanks again