[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Benjamin Watson's - Ferguson Post on FB

Dont Rookie Me........

It was an extremely well written and well thought out piece; at the other end of the spectrum as far as players actions off the field this year.

Absolutely! My only issue with it was the last part about why he was encouraged. I'm not a religious person myself and I respect those who follow a specific faith but this last part is an awful ending to what was a really great piece of writing.

BUT I'M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through the his son Jesus and with it, a transformed heart and mind. One that's capable of looking past the outward and seeing what's truly important in every human being. The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner tragedies is not education or exposure. It's the Gospel. So, finally, I'M ENCOURAGED because the Gospel gives mankind hope."

I'm sorry but the gospel is not the answer, people have prayed and read the gospel and bad things still happen in the world. And anything that has gotten better is not because of gospel reading. We don't make change by praying for it, we make change by actively changing the things that need changing. Don't sit back waiting for "God" and the words from a book to change the world, go out and make the change/s yourself. You don't need "god" and books of faith, and buildings of faith, to learn how to be a good person and we certainly can't use it to make all of life's wrongs disappear, that's just ignorant. Praying and worshipping creates a mindset and we as people need to follow through on said mindset whether we're religious or not. Respecting each other, being open-minded and sympathetic/empathetic towards others is the religion we should all practice.

ETA: BTW, a little education and exposure certainly wouldn't hurt towards making the world a better place to live in. So, even though a common cure for the issues that plague our society might not be able to be agreed upon, to dismiss education and exposure as not answers is also ignorant. In my 36 years of life on this Earth, some of the most ignorant people are religious and some of the most insightful, are those who aren't religious but who are educated and exposed to all different faiths and ways of life, therefore, being able to be open-minded and respectful of everyone. (not saying religious folks can't be educated, cause obviously Mr. Watson is as are many others).

Edited by irish
  • Like 2

Absolutely! My only issue with it was the last part about why he was encouraged. I'm not a religious person myself and I respect those who follow a specific faith but this last part is an awful ending to what was a really great piece of writing.

BUT I'M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through the his son Jesus and with it, a transformed heart and mind. One that's capable of looking past the outward and seeing what's truly important in every human being. The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner tragedies is not education or exposure. It's the Gospel. So, finally, I'M ENCOURAGED because the Gospel gives mankind hope."

I'm sorry but the gospel is not the answer, people have prayed and read the gospel and bad things still happen in the world. And anything that has gotten better is not because of gospel reading. We don't make change by praying for it, we make change by actively changing the things that need changing. Don't sit back waiting for "God" and the words from a book to change the world, go out and make the change/s yourself. You don't need "god" and books of faith, and buildings of faith, to learn how to be a good person and we certainly can't use it to make all of life's wrongs disappear, that's just ignorant. Praying and worshipping creates a mindset and we as people need to follow through on said mindset whether we're religious or not. Respecting each other, being open-minded and sympathetic/empathetic towards others is the religion we should all practice.

ETA: BTW, a little education and exposure certainly wouldn't hurt towards making the world a better place to live in. So, even though a common cure for the issues that plague our society might not be able to be agreed upon, to dismiss education and exposure as not answers is also ignorant. In my 36 years of life on this Earth, some of the most ignorant people are religious and some of the most insightful, are those who aren't religious but who are educated and exposed to all different faiths and ways of life, therefore, being able to be open-minded and respectful of everyone. (not saying religious folks can't be educated, cause obviously Mr. Watson is as is many others).

Closed-mined, ignorant, uninsightful, disrespectful. Congratulations, you've displayed in a single post all the negative things you accuse religious people of being.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 3

Closed-mined, ignorant, uninsightful, disrespectful. Congratulations, you've displayed in a single post all the negative things you accuse religious people of being.

Your reading comprehension is broken. What's ignorant about my post? The fact that my opinion is that I don't feel people should depend on the gospel to make change in their life and instead depend on education, exposure and themselves to do so, which Watson discredits (education/exposure)?

Are you suggesting that I'm ignorant because I have an opinion that contradicts yours?

Edited by irish

Irish, are you really trying to stir a religious debate here? GTFO with trying to bait people into a religious discussion on a fantasy forum

Nah, there's no debate to be had. Just read the piece, thought it was great until I read that the gospel is the cure to racism and other terrible things and threw up. F'ing joke!

Edited by irish

Religion and football don't mix. But don't talk out of your ass either, Irish.

Tell that to the players who pray in a huddle after every game. And I'm not talking out of my ass, I've spoken truth. Reading gospel is not a solution. And to say that education and exposure aren't part of a solution is talking out of one's ass.

Edited by irish

Congratulations on winning the smart guy award. Everyone is really proud of and impressed by you.

Now, for the love of God (or, if you'd prefer, for the love of science), let's talk some football! Benjamin Watson caught a nice TD today, didn't he?

Congratulations on winning the smart guy award. Everyone is really proud of and impressed by you.

Now, for the love of God (or, if you'd prefer, for the love of science), let's talk some football! Benjamin Watson caught a nice TD today, didn't he?

I missed it. I do know that I got screwed getting a big zero from Graham.

I'm sorry but the gospel is not the answer, people have prayed and read the gospel and bad things still happen in the world. And anything that has gotten better is not because of gospel reading. We don't make change by praying for it, we make change by actively changing the things that need

changing. Don't sit back waiting for "God" and the words from a book to change the world, go out and make the change's yourself.

People have been educated and bad things still happen in the world. So how does that make your argument that more education is the answer? By that same argument, I could say that more religion is the answer. And how could you possibly say that nothing has gotten better because of Gospel reading? Watson reads the Gospel, his words were formed based on what he's learned from it. I'm sure Mother Theresa would GREATLY disagree with you there.

"A solution for sin through his son Jesus and with it a transformed

heart and mind. One that's capable of looking past the outward and

seeing what's truly important in every human being."

Some very well-thought-out and poignant words by Watson and, judging by your response, I don't feel like you comprehend them at all. He said nothing about sitting back, praying for change and waiting for God to change the world like you suggest and certainly neither does the Gospel. He's saying by following the Gospel you can change your heart and mind... (to see) what is truly important in every human being. If Michael Brown were a follower of the Gospel as Watson speaks, would he have been where he was? Would he have robbed that store? Would he have attacked that officer? I'm pretty certain he wouldn't. What amount of education up to that point in his life would have changed his course? What class in school would have taught him the difference between wrong and right?

If you study the bible or go to church or were religious at all then you would know that the Gospel doesn't teach you to "just sit back and pray." You have to follow the teachings of the Gospel and live your life in accordance with the scripture, through your thoughts, through your words and actions & in your heart. That idea is driven home to us every time we step into a church, every time we read the Gospel and lay the sign of the cross on our forehead, lips and chest. It is a basic principle of all religions to "practice what you preach." I can't claim the most "religious" person in the world, I don't necessarily believe all of the Bible was written as a true account of history, nor do I completely agree with all of the teachings or interpretations of the church. However, I do believe in the lessons that the Gospel teaches and I do believe that it can have an incredible influence on moral behavior and I do know that anyone living their life in accordance with the teachings of the Gospel would have been exponentially less likely to have found themselves in the situation that happened in Ferguson.

Praying and worshipping creates a mindset and we as people need to follow through on said mindset whether we're religious or not. Respecting each other, being open-minded and sympathetic/empathetic towards others is the religion we should all practice.

ETA: BTW, a little education and exposure certainly wouldn't hurt towards making the world a better place to live in. So, even though a common cure for the issues that plague our society might not be able to be agreed upon, to dismiss education and exposure as not answers is also ignorant.

That's a great first quote. I especially liked the second sentance

The Bible is a book that teaches morality. Agree or not the stories within are fact or fiction, but the idea behind religion is to give people a moral guidance, to give them hope that the world can live in peace and harmony with one-another. Watson's particular religion may not be the answer for all, but it is the answer for him and he proves that by his example. It very well could have been the answer for Michael Brown as well if it had been provided to him.

In my 36 years of life on this Earth, some of the most ignorant people are religious and some of the most insightful are those who aren't religious but who are educated and exposed to all different faiths and ways of life, therefore, being able to be open-minded and respectful of everyone. (not saying religious folks can't be educated, cause obviously Mr. Watson is as is many others).

In my 42 years of life on this Earth, some of the most intelligent and caring people I have ever met are people who have deep faith in their religion. Some of the most vile and disgusting people I have ever known are highly educated and have little to no faith whatsoever.

You don't need "god" and books of faith, and buildings of faith, to learn how to be a good person and we certainly can't use it to make all of life's wrongs disappear, that's just ignorant.

You don't need teachers and math books, and schools, to learn how to add two and two, but they sure as hell can help you get there.

• Like 7

Great post rajn, I was going to try and express my thoughts but you said it very well.

Irish,

You can believe or not, but please don't resort to the "religious people are idiots" angle unless you are looking for a hondastorm. I don't care what your beliefs are, but don't ridicule or belittle mine.

• Like 4

My take on Irish's post was not that he is saying religion is bad, rather that he took exception to Watson saying that education is not an answer. Not trying to put words in his mouth...but the point I took is that people need to take responsibility for adressing racism and violence and not just pawn it off to their God as some thing that will eventually work itself out.

• Like 2