[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WTF is wrong with the Niners?

daBlaze710

Kaep and Wilson are wildcards that I feel are falling into the Cam Newton trap: highly mobile (adds pts), quick thinkers (subtracts points), fantastic arms (adds points), but require time to decide which to use (subtracts points)... It's like looking at Donovan McNabb or early Michael Vick. It can be amazing at times, and it produces amazing highlights, but it's usually pretty hum-drum for 6-12 plays until a kicker takes the field.

As far as QB goes for fantasy purposes, you want consistency. None of these running QBs can offer that. You want consistency? You want someone who throws the ball a ton without even planning on running.

Kaep and Wilson are wildcards that I feel are falling into the Cam Newton trap: highly mobile (adds pts), quick thinkers (subtracts points), fantastic arms (adds points), but require time to decide which to use (subtracts points)... It's like looking at Donovan McNabb or early Michael Vick. It can be amazing at times, and it produces amazing highlights, but it's usually pretty hum-drum for 6-12 plays until a kicker takes the field.

As far as QB goes for fantasy purposes, you want consistency. None of these running QBs can offer that. You want consistency? You want someone who throws the ball a ton without even planning on running.

This is the reason Luck will be the class of these QBs when all is said and done.

I've seen numerous discussions (both here and elsewhere on the interwebs) where the premise revolved around the NFL moving to a extremely pass friendly offense. From a fantasy perspective, it is often surmised that the role of the RB will/is diminishing greatly because of this.

What I haven't seen in these talks is mention of QB and their value (both real and fantasy). To me, it seems logical that the mobile QB will fail in a pass happy system because that type of QB has never had to rely on their arm; so much so that when it comes down to it, they're really not good passers at all. Cam, RG3, Kaep, and Russel to an extent, just aren't good in the pocket; don't have the accuracy, timing, and finesse of pure passers. And while the risk of them using their legs may still be good for a few first downs, they aren't really at risk to win games/seasons that way. Russell seems to be the most adept passer of the current mobile QB crop. As mentioned by another, A Luck is the QB of the future: he's athletic enough to get that 3rd and long on his feet, but the lanes are open because defenses fear his arm far more than his legs.

i think the 49er defense is starting to improve with key players getting healthy. generally speaking, even their backups have done as well as could be expected (some surpassing expectations).

this year the major issues with the 49ers seems to be on the offensive side of the ball (with the exception being the d committing bad penalties which extended drives). before the season i was very excited about the upgrade at wr (a weakness last year due to injury). this year many problems stemmed from poor oline production both. we have also seen poor playcalling. the most glaring issue week in and week out is CK's decision making. it seems like the staff is trying to coach him into being a better pocket passer ( ala steve young). he still makes mistakes he made when "the decision" was made..... poor decision making, risk taking, physically missing receivers (inaccuracy), mentally missing receivers (reads), poor game and play clock management.... and now it looks like he is deliberately not running when lanes are open. harbaugh has been doing this for the past couple of years- "unleashing" him in the playoffs. i have seen big drops by misc. players but CK is having problems consistently moving the ball.

just another observation: they seem to play decent 1st halves, then implode. so coaching/playcalling plays into this as well.

Edited by Bier Meister

Man....I just don't think Kaep and Wilson are really that similar....at all.

Man....I just don't think Kaep and Wilson are really that similar....at all.

They aren't. Wilson can progress through all the reads. Kaep can get to the 2nd read...sometimes...maybe. Wilson is probably better than Cam (he's obviously smarter than Cam) and Cam is better than Kaep. Hell, Alex Smith is better than Kaep.

Kaep and Vick is a fair comparison.

The offensive playcalling is suspect Kap hasn't developed. He caught everyone off guard his first 1.5 years and after the defenses figured him out he lost those big plays he previously made. Kap can't seem to see past his 1st read(Cosell has done analysis on him) and he seems easy to rattle when other players try to get into his head.

For now Kap is a good athlete that is trying to become an NFL QB. The OC should be dialing up more plays that help him because I don't think he's able to put the team on his back and win the games himself.

They aren't. Wilson can progress through all the reads. Kaep can get to the 2nd read...sometimes...maybe. Wilson is probably better than Cam (he's obviously smarter than Cam) and Cam is better than Kaep.

Pretty much. One of the reasons that Wilson looks so good throwing out of the pocket is because he's forced to throw out the pocket often. He's had horrible pass protection since his rookie year. Not to mention his top receiving options are 3 undrafted free agent WRs with alternative options consisting of Tony Moekai, Luke Willson, and Cooper Heflet.

The game against San Fran still was a near 3 TD passing game. Tony Moekai's run after the catch to the one yard line looked like he was caught in a web of Christmas lights and that illegal pick call on Richardson's TD was pretty weak.

It was still 15/22 235 and 1 TD vs. 16/29 121 yards 0 TDs and 2 Ints for Kaepernick.

Edited by Bobby Brown

With Russell only being 5'10" or 5'11", I'm sure his down field vision improves when he leaves the pocket. He is so short that he can't even see over his linemen's shoulder pads. It makes what he does even that more impressive.

QBs learn to look thru lanes. Plus there are timing routes that can be run where it doesn't matter what he sees, just throw it to a spot (but I don't think the Hawks do much of that).