[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Donte Moncrief, Playoff Sleeper?

MTSuper7

I see a Colts team with a few problems on offense right now that might put Moncrief in a position of relevance for the close of the fantasy season.

1 - Losing Ahmad Bradshaw hurts the passing game.

2 - Reggie Wayne is done as an impact player.

3 - Dwayne Allen isn't healthy.

4 - Hakeem Nicks underwhelms. Significantly.

5 - Moncrief has difference making talent.

I do not own Moncrief in any dynasty formats where he would be a great stash for the future. But I am holding him in 2 leagues knowing that he out snapped Nicks last week and that the Colts could use someone to step up opposite Hilton besides Fleener. I think Moncrief could be a nice upside WR3 / Flex type throughout the fantasy playoffs. At this stage in the game, it feels like now is the time to stash a guy waiting in the wings who may earn his shot sooner than later. And if he out snaps Nicks again tomorrow vs. WAS, I have a feeling that he won't be so easy to nab come waiver runs next week.

Yeah, so he caught two bombs against a pitiful secondary today. Right now he's a true boom or bust candidate. If you're comfortable with a high risk/high reward player in the playoffs, go for it. Chances are that since you made the playoffs in the first place, you likely already have better/safer options on your roster.

Yeah, so he caught two bombs against a pitiful secondary today. Right now he's a true boom or bust candidate. If you're comfortable with a high risk/high reward player in the playoffs, go for it. Chances are that since you made the playoffs in the first place, you likely already have better/safer options on your roster.

He's exactly the guy that a team that sneaks into the playoffs plays for the first time all season and knocks the favorite out of the playoffs with. Edited by keggerz
  • Like 1

I see a Colts team with a few problems on offense right now that might put Moncrief in a position of relevance for the close of the fantasy season.

1 - Losing Ahmad Bradshaw hurts the passing game.

2 - Reggie Wayne is done as an impact player.

3 - Dwayne Allen isn't healthy.

4 - Hakeem Nicks underwhelms. Significantly.

5 - Moncrief has difference making talent.

I do not own Moncrief in any dynasty formats where he would be a great stash for the future. But I am holding him in 2 leagues knowing that he out snapped Nicks last week and that the Colts could use someone to step up opposite Hilton besides Fleener. I think Moncrief could be a nice upside WR3 / Flex type throughout the fantasy playoffs. At this stage in the game, it feels like now is the time to stash a guy waiting in the wings who may earn his shot sooner than later. And if he out snaps Nicks again tomorrow vs. WAS, I have a feeling that he won't be so easy to nab come waiver runs next week.

Good call dude.

So is Charles Johnson, as someone else tried to point out earlier. :pop:

Except Moncrief plays on an elite offense with Andrew Luck tossing him bombs and Johnson plays on a middling to poor offense with a weak armed rookie QB.

I think there's a good chance that Johnson is the better receiving talent though.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not putting a ton of stock in the two long TDs today either because that's as much WAS ineptitude as it is Moncrief emerging. But the snap counts don't lie - Moncrief has essentially replaced Nicks as the starter opposite Wayne in 3 wide sets. Nicks wasn't getting that many looks anyway, but Wayne continues to look done. So it'll be interesting to see if they make it a point to get an extra look or two to Moncrief. Of course, assuming Dwayne Allen is back next week, I don't know how much 3 wide they'll run (or how often Fleener might play out wide in those cases).

Still, Moncrief may have just earned a flex start in week 15 against the horrendous Texan pass D. Feels good to have a bye next week to see if any more clarity comes from this situation before needing to decide.