[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When was the last WR rookie class like this?

bpr103

Obviously 2011 had some big name rookies: Jones, Green, Torrey Smith and Randall Cobb...

But this year's immediate impacts: Watkins, Evans, Benjamin, Beckham, Cooks, Landry, Matthews...

Flashes of greatness from Moncrief, Bryant, Adams, John Brown...

Conventional wisdom says it usually takes a couple of years for WRs to grasp the NFL, but we're looking at a bunch of guys that are already their teams' WR1 and making waves even in systems with unstable QB situations (Evans, Matthews, Watkins).

Anyone recall a rookie crop like this?

1996 was decent

Keyshawn Johnson

Terry Glenn

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

Eric Moulds

Amani Toomer

Muhsin Muhammed

Bobby Engram

Derrick Mayes

Terrell Owens

Joe Horn

Patrick Jeffers

David Patten

Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 1

Its awesome no doubt but dont forget the rules are being enforced this year, the no touching anyone who catches the ball beyond the line of scrimage. These guys are awesome but imagine if you couldnt touch Jerry Rice or Randy Moss? Just saying, no concrete evidence but just another opinion....but they are very talented. Imagine how may points MJ would have scored if hand checking was illegal in the NBA, like it is now?

Edited by IrishPride
  • Like 1

I am in a dynasty league and one owner has tanked this season and traded his veteran WR for a bunch of this rookie class. We kind of laughed at first, but his dynasty team has the following rookie WR:

Watkins

Evans

Beckham

Cooks

Matthews

Moncrief

Adams

He had the #1 pick and took Evans. He traded players for picks to take Watkins and Cooks in the first round. Beckham fell to him in the second. The rest were trades (Matthews and Adams) and waivers (Moncrief).

I tip my cap to him for having the foresight to see this class was special. He will finish in the bottom three, have a high draft pick and should rebound nicely next season.

I've got a good stable of WR going into 2014 with keepers of D Thomas, Calvin, Fitz. I drafted Matthews and later added Landry. I see one of those two replacing Fitz as one of my 5 keepers next year. I may be able to trade one for some value as well.

Wish I was this good finding long term success with RBs, maybe I'll hit it this year with Latavius Murray or Charles Sims.

Good points, all.

Captain Hook's comment is a cautionary one... out of that 1996 list, only TO and Harrison (Keyshawn and Toomer strung together 4-5 consistent years, too) could be considered big threats for the long haul.

Also look at all the rbs who are having good years as rb1/rb2...Tre mason/Crowell/Sankey/Blue etc. A lot that are back ups are starters just waiting for an injury to the studs. Great class.

Yeah, where are all the honks that were saying this class was "weak"? Hiding in a cave or under a bridge somewhere, probably.

Edited by darin3

Never had a class like this before IMO. And everyone seems to forget Paul Richardson because he's stuck in the Pacific Northwasteland (at least for WRs).

Never heard of him and looking at his stats it is hard to say he is having the season these other guys are. If he's that good SEA should use him more because their WR are not very good. (Where as guys like Landry, Matthews and Adams are getting plenty of action with other established good WR on their teams.)

Never heard of him and looking at his stats it is hard to say he is having the season these other guys are. If he's that good SEA should use him more because their WR are not very good. (Where as guys like Landry, Matthews and Adams are getting plenty of action with other established good WR on their teams.)

Just another example of some of these kids making there impact next season.

I am in a 16 team keeper league all players stay. I drafted benjamin with 4th pick over watkins and cooks. I had the first pick in the draft but traded it to get the 4th, and 20th pick. I grabbed marqise Lee with 2nd rd pick. I took ASJ with the 9th pick. Mathews and beckham where available for the 9th pick but thin at TE position. Needless to say i dont think i would have regretted any of the WR coming out of this draft class. Because of Benjamin and now Lee my team went from last place to 4th place and back in the playoffs after maybe 4 year drought.

Does anyone see any of these rookie WR's going in the first 2 rounds next year? Maybe Beckham?

If Cruz is able to get back to form, I think they eat into each other's production... making them both kinda in the WR2 with WR1 upside type of players.

That said, we see situations like Cobb/Nelson and Marshall/Jeffery where the 2 WRs are both ultra-valuable and in some leagues, go in the 2nd.

I don't think - at least with a flippy-floppy Manning - this is that kind of situation.

Edited by darin3