[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My commish emailed league about playoff tie breaker

chiefswarpath

The commish just sent out an email about playoff tie breaker. My team is the Hernandez Hitmen. Should I make it over the other team mentioned? I copied the bulk of the email and would like some opinions on the matter.

Here is his email......

Okay, we have another 3 way tie for two spots in the playoffs. Big Birds, Flexall, and Hernandez hitmen all finished with a 7-6 record.

The website has Flexall and Big Birds making the champions playoff and leaving Hernandez hitmen out. According to the website, the tie breaker for the playoffs is head to head record. The only team that played the other two teams was Big Birds beating Hernandez and splitting with Flexall 1-1. Unfortunately, this is the only filter for tie breakers on the NFL website.

So Big Birds should get the first open playoff spot. Flexall and Hernandez did not play each other. Here is an argument for each team.

Flexall - has a 3-3 divisional record, but has only scored 1415 points this year. 9th best power ranking (seen on the standings page under breakdown)

Hernandez Hitmen - only has a 2-4 divisional record, but has scored the second most points with 1804. 3rd best power ranking

So what do you think? Should I be in?

According to the website, the tie breaker for the playoffs is head to head record.

I find it a little difficult to believe nfl.com only offered one tie breaker. What does the rules on the website show?

On our league site the only tie breaker listed is head to head. I do not know if the commish set the league up incorrectly but on the NFL.com site when looking up generic rules it has them 1) H2H 2) Division record 3) Total pts. Again, on our league site it has H2H as the only tie breaker listed. I have always played where pts is the first tie breaker. In another league I am in I lost out on a week 1 bye because I finished 6 pts behind a team I was 2-0 against, with same overall record. If they go with division that sucks for me because the #1 and #2 overall ranked teams were in my division.

Edited by chiefswarpath

biggest issue is fact that commissioner wrotes " here is an argument for each team " ...Fantasy football leagues are not based on opinion but rather on facts and stats . He had to have a tie breaker listed that covers each scenario and spells out who advances way before you guys ever go to this point

• Like 2

Sucks that you didn't have more tie breakers specified. We even have a last resort of "owner agreement or coin flip" meaning if the two owners want to work it out and decide who advances and how they might split the winnings or something, fine if not we flip a coin. It has never come to that, total points has always been enough (and we don't do decimal scoring).

Or if we use H2H where it actually means all games involving just those 3 teams Flexall is 1-1 while Hernandez is 0-1, which would also favor Hernandez.

We usually use divison record (teams in same division) and total points, so that's what I'd probably apply. If you're in the same division Flexall gets it, if not the total points edge is to Hernandez.

Hopefully your league can come up with a fair decision and ammend your rules to handle it properly in the future (even if NFL.com cannot).

I concur with others that it absolutely sucks the Commish potentially blew the set-up at the beginning of the season. Although, having said that, IMO I believe in the absence of any league-specific tie breakers that were set-up before the season started, you have to go to the website's defaults/generic settings as your second tier tie breaker(s), meaning TB1 = H2H (as set-up by Commish), TB2 = division record, TB3 = total points, etc. I also realize this even further sucks for you because you have a worse division record.

Finally, I would suggest that next year the owners either ensure the Commish adds extra tie breakers, or find a new league.

Are youy guys in the same division?

Based on your comments, it seems that you are not. If you are not in the same division, then division record should be a non-factor as it is not a measurement against common opponents.

As to who should get in, really depends on your league rules. If H2H is truly the only listed tiebreak, and you guys did not play each other, and there is not a second or third tiebreaker listed, then really a coin flip is the only "fair" way to break the tie.

In other threads I've already stated my opinion on the use of H2H records as tiebreakers. I think they are fairly stupid and I think points is a better indicator of season long performance.

We usually use divison record (teams in same division) and total points, so that's what I'd probably apply. If you're in the same division Flexall gets it, if not the total points edge is to Hernandez.

Based on your comments, it seems that you are not. If you are not in the same division, then division record should be a non-factor as it is not a measurement against common opponents.

This and this