[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marshall Done For Season

byroz

Collapsed lung after the broken ribs. Out for the season. Which other wrs will see more playing time now?

The rookie Wilson and Morgan.

Wilson is 2nd year, though maybe only had like 2 catches last year.

Right, the rookie+2. LoL

I havent seen either of them play...are they talented enough to pick up in leagues? Or they worth just sitting on the WW?

After Marshall went out last night out was all, Bennett, forte and Jeffery. I've been waiting for Wilson to show up though.

In semi-deep leagues, sure. Or, if you're somewhat desperate, they're worth grabbing as a flier. But, neither one is going to come close to Marshall, in terms of production (or even targets), most likely. Maybe that's stating the obvious, but my point is that it's not a situation where the "next man up" can do what Marshall does.

On the other hand, this will probably allow defenses to focus more on Jeffery, leaving the other option(s) more opportunity to get open. It's hard to say if this will help or hurt Jeffery (I think one could argue either side), but if it does hurt him (because of more attention from the defense), it could mean even more dumpoffs for guys like Bennett, Forte, etc. Although, Bennett didn't exactly look healthy himself, towards the end of last night's contest.

Bottom line... What was turning out to be a terrible season for the Bears just got that much worse. One of the few bright spots was the simple fact that Cutler had 3-4 weapons in the passing game that were, as a group, better than what most NFL teams have (in terms of pure talent, anyway). Take Marshall away from that equation, and they go from above average in the passing game, to below average. Jeffery is a great asset to have as a #2, but without the #1 to tip the scales in his favor, I think there's a chance he has a tough time of it. That doesn't mean Cutler won't try to force-feed the ball to Jeffery, necessarily. But, there's one less really good option out there for him (Cutler).

Edit: Sorry... forgot to quote the original question (whether or not Morgan/Wilson were worth picking up).

Edited by Gopher

In semi-deep leagues, sure. Or, if you're somewhat desperate, they're worth grabbing as a flier. But, neither one is going to come close to Marshall, in terms of production (or even targets), most likely. Maybe that's stating the obvious, but my point is that it's not a situation where the "next man up" can do what Marshall does.

On the other hand, this will probably allow defenses to focus more on Jeffery, leaving the other option(s) more opportunity to get open. It's hard to say if this will help or hurt Jeffery (I think one could argue either side), but if it does hurt him (because of more attention from the defense), it could mean even more dumpoffs for guys like Bennett, Forte, etc. Although, Bennett didn't exactly look healthy himself, towards the end of last night's contest.

Bottom line... What was turning out to be a terrible season for the Bears just got that much worse. One of the few bright spots was the simple fact that Cutler had 3-4 weapons in the passing game that were, as a group, better than what most NFL teams have (in terms of pure talent, anyway). Take Marshall away from that equation, and they go from above average in the passing game, to below average. Jeffery is a great asset to have as a #2, but without the #1 to tip the scales in his favor, I think there's a chance he has a tough time of it. That doesn't mean Cutler won't try to force-feed the ball to Jeffery, necessarily. But, there's one less really good option out there for him (Cutler).

Edit: Sorry... forgot to quote the original question (whether or not Morgan/Wilson were worth picking up).

Bennett looked like he was hurtin pretty bad last night either an ankle or knee injury which made him limp a lot. I agree that not sure if this helps or hurts Jeffreys production, like you said one could argue either way. I think Forte will see more carries even though he should have atleast 20 every game no matter what, otherwise your holding him back. Just my opinion though.

So, in terms of fantasy (in my opinion), if I own....

Marshall - This sucks, obviously. But, from Marshall's point of view, at least it happened at the tail end of a bad season, as opposed to the beginning of a potentially good one. If I own Marshall in a league, I'm probably looking for replacements other than Wilson/Morgan, however, unless it's a pretty deep league (see below).

Bennett - I don't think this could really hurt him, but his ankle injury might. If he's healthy, he'll get a bunch of targets (like he did last night).

Forte - Ditto, pretty much (minus the injury).

Jeffery - I'm nervous, but maybe optomistic at the same time. Will this mean more balls thrown his way, or will this mean defensive secondaries swarm to him, making it difficult to get touches?

Wilson/Morgan - If nothing else, I'd pay close attention to how this next week plays out, if I was in need of a WR in a deep(er) league. Will one of them (or both) become fantasy-relevant? Even if they do, would you risk starting one of them in Week 15? Probably not, but again, if you're desperate, it might be worth a shot.

I'd consider any of the following before looking at Wilson/Morgan.....

Stills (NO)

Johnson (MIN)

Woods (BUF)

Bailey (STL)

Washington (TEN)

Moncrief (IND)

If those aren't available, I'd consider Wilson.

[inToolWeTrust]

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????

:rofl:

I AM RIGHT!

[/inToolWeTrust]

Dez sucks

Id rather have Jeffrey on the bench hurt not playing than have Dez start for me

Your all wrong im right

Dez sucks Jeffreys the best wr in the game

/toolwetrust

They were high on wilson in camp. He is young and came out early after being disruptive at washington state.

he would be the desperation play here if you needed to get someone.

Good skills...very raw. I see the same garbage time fantasy opportunity for him next Monday.

Too risky of a play for me if I am still in it next week.

So, in terms of fantasy (in my opinion), if I own....

Marshall - This sucks, obviously. But, from Marshall's point of view, at least it happened at the tail end of a bad season, as opposed to the beginning of a potentially good one. If I own Marshall in a league, I'm probably looking for replacements other than Wilson/Morgan, however, unless it's a pretty deep league (see below).

Bennett - I don't think this could really hurt him, but his ankle injury might. If he's healthy, he'll get a bunch of targets (like he did last night).

Forte - Ditto, pretty much (minus the injury).

Jeffery - I'm nervous, but maybe optomistic at the same time. Will this mean more balls thrown his way, or will this mean defensive secondaries swarm to him, making it difficult to get touches?

Wilson/Morgan - If nothing else, I'd pay close attention to how this next week plays out, if I was in need of a WR in a deep(er) league. Will one of them (or both) become fantasy-relevant? Even if they do, would you risk starting one of them in Week 15? Probably not, but again, if you're desperate, it might be worth a shot.

I'd consider any of the following before looking at Wilson/Morgan.....

Stills (NO)

Johnson (MIN)

Woods (BUF)

Bailey (STL)

Washington (TEN)

Moncrief (IND)

If those aren't available, I'd consider Wilson.

I lost Marshall and have S. Bailey or Boldin to replace him with. Those are my best options, I guess I'll worry about who to play if I advance this week

When did he start for the season :missing:? 5 weeks put up WR1 numbers..1,2,6,10 and 11. He was injured and his QB's hot and cold but his recent production won't be missed. But Alshon will draw the #1 cover corner now and coverage will roll his way for under and over schemes? Not sure who will replace the touches/targets but I think they kick the tires on the rookie Wilson and see what they really drafted? 5 to 7 targets and see what he does? IMO but Bennet and Forte will surely be used more because Cutler has all the tools except the mental aspect. Remember not only did he lose his #1 Wr but he also lost his secruity blanket. Marshalls talent allowed the whole throw it anwhere and he will catch it, that has made Cutler look better for years, even as a Bronco.

Edited by IrishPride

Someone who loves attention and there are lots of people who act differently in order to attain what they covet.

It has been a tough season for the Bears and Marshall. He has not been healthy and I think he is over-spent. I think we have seen his plateau.

So, I keep hearing he's "done for the season," but I have been unable to find any confirmation the Bears have "officially" put him on IR...is there any reason they would delay that transaction? is it remotely possible he returns Wks 15 or 16, or is it just a foregone conclusion he's definitely not coming back? I generally try to hold players until I do see the team's official transaction, placing the player on IR, and the Bears certainly do have a juicy match-up against the Saints next week (not so much vs. Lions, Wk 16), so I'm wondering if anyone is still "holding" Marshall at this point, pending official designation?

So, I keep hearing he's "done for the season," but I have been unable to find any confirmation the Bears have "officially" put him on IR...is there any reason they would delay that transaction? is it remotely possible he returns Wks 15 or 16, or is it just a foregone conclusion he's definitely not coming back? I generally try to hold players until I do see the team's official transaction, placing the player on IR, and the Bears certainly do have a juicy match-up against the Saints next week (not so much vs. Lions, Wk 16), so I'm wondering if anyone is still "holding" Marshall at this point, pending official designation?

He was just put on IR.