[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worst NFL analyst or just sports analyst?

IrishPride

I know several people don't like them (Collinsworth in particular), but IMO they enhance the viewing experience as opposed to other announcers who detract from it.

My only problem with Collinsworth his is constant anointment of whatever player he is currently talking about as "The best in the NFL". And he does it without fail.

Edited by tazinib1

I'll add +1 to the Joe Buck haters list. His voice really bothers me. I wouldn't say that he's necessarily a poor analyst. More or less he's just a bonehead who says some really stupid things at times with a voice that drives me insane. His lack of coaching/playing pedigree also bothers me, but I'm sure there are many others in the broadcasting world that are like him.

My only problem with Collinsworth his is constant anointment of whatever player he is currently talking about as "The best in the NFL". And he does it without fail.

Gruden does this a lot as well, every guy he is talking about is "one of the best ever" at what he does (QB, RB, whatever). Which if course is nonsense, especially when you are covering games that are not on the A (or even B) list of talented teams.

Personally I never liked Dennis Miller in booth, his comedy is ok, but he was so out of place in the booth and trying to do his high brow humor to a football audience just seemed too strange.

I don't really hate any of them too much, I can tune them out to some degree if needed.

I've heard many people who don't like Buck, and I agree he can be pompous. Also at the top of many don't like lists is Chris Meyers and Gus Johnson.

For me on pure analysts type shows (not game broadcaster) I cannot stand Michael Irvin, talk about a homer and somebody who just yells/screams everything. Not a fan of Deion either and Bermman's schtick was old about 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Joe Buck seems to be making his way to the top?

Sad but true. I think it is his non-offensiveness. He just is. I think he appeals to the casual fan more than a diehard. Anyone that knows much about football probably knows more than he does and it is usually pretty evident when he talks. But he is good at the casual conversation during the game so when casual fans watch, they can relate to him.

I totally forgot Bob Costas. I cannot stand him. He tries so hard to be clever.

+2 Deon Sanders preaches about a player.......nothing wrong with that but it belongs in a church, not Thursday Night Football? Again so I don't take any heat, IMO he sounds like he's preaching? I keep waiting for him to heal somebody or ask me for a donation?

Absolutely love Gruden...blasphemy stevegrab can not stand Wigglesworth he sounds to much like a politician to me stating the obvious and blowing it up to make it dramatic.

Didn't say I don't like Gruden, actually I do and I wasn't a fan of Mayock (talked to much about "what they did in college"). Just pointing out Gruden is also over the top in praise of too many players. (I think its a production gimmick ESPN has taught him, trying to make every game they cover sound like the best one ever).

Forgot about Sapp, completely over the top.

One thing I like about him is he occassionally puts Irvin in line, hip checking on the set or giving him the evil eye or just lauging insanely at his idiotic homer boasts about the Cowboys. But if you hate the U (Miami) their "U know it" segment will make you :sick: .

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000228847/U-Know-It-Best-preseason-storylines

Almost forgot about Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp. What a horrible collection of loud mouths.

Michael Irvin lost any chance of respect from me when he referred to the player as "James Trash".

No class at all. Doesn't matter to me if Thrash was actually good or not. Completely unprofessional.

Cannot stand Stephen A Smith or Skip Bayless ... putting them together only elevates the level of horrible. I will turn the TV off before I watch their show.

Michael Irvin is a thug with lots of money that is convinced he is God's gift to us mere mortals on earth. He has a clear bias to wide receivers and black athletes. Not a fan of Deion Sanders either but he is better than Irvin. Putting them together has convinced me not to watch the NFL network.

Never been a fan of Colin Blowhard. For some reason he thinks everything in sports relates to his vast and superior understanding of the business world. They should pair him with Joe Buck so that we could have two blow hards on one show that I would refuse to watch.

I do get tired of Gruden's and Collinsworth's love affairs with the player of the moment in their games.

• Like 1

Random thoughts:

- I agree that Joe Buck and Colin Cowherd are both ridiculously full of themselves. Can't stand either.

- Can Chris Berman retire already? I never watch the homerun derby any more on All Star weekend because I can't stand hearing "back...back...back...back...GONE" ever again. His Schtick is beyond stale.

- Gus Johnson is the best play by play guy around today. And it isn't really close.

- Remember the Bryant Gumbel experience when NFLN first started Thursday night games? (chuckle)

- And the Tony Kornheiser experience on MNF? LOL! He only works when paired with Mike Wilbon.

- Speaking of Wilbon, I've liked seeing him as part of NBA announcer crews for ABC.

- When the hell did Brady Quinn start calling games? I about lost my lunch when I saw him the other day calling the Lions game. There just HAVE to be better options, Fox Sports. Really.

- I like Mike Mayock. His contributions always seem smart, and he explains things well. He doesn't come across as an arrogant prick.

• Like 1

Agree with the Mayock supporters. Dude provides good insight, particularly on what happens in the trenches.

I really enjoy the NFL Matchup show on ESPN on Saturday mornings. Jaws and Merril Hoge do some nice breakdowns.