[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys vs. Eagles for the division and a playoff birth

Cowboyz1

Hey Swamm! It's that time again.

Ok folks, here we go. The game of the year. The defining game of the season against our old nemesis Philly. Before I tell you why we win, I want to say this about our Cowboys. As I said earlier in the season, this team just might have enough to make believers out of the cynical. Me, I'm an optimist and as such I am always looking for the silver lining in an otherwise dark and unpredictable plight. If you haven't seen the transformation in this team and it's attitude, it's fight, and it's personnel, you haven't been paying attention. For as of right now we have perhaps the best O line in football, the back with the most yards from scrimmage in football and a QB that has shaken off the broken bones, the hateful words and the stigma that people have tattooed on him since that faithful day in Seattle, to put together one of his best season. He said before the season started, "You're going to see the best version of me this year". Perhaps we have? Yet I believe you're about to see El Matador take his game to another level.

So without painting the barn any further, I give you my prediction.

This game is about facing demons. It's about looking the past, the future, the present right in the face. The past failures when we didn't have the health to compete on defense, trotting out players that you still have never heard of to compete in all or nothing games. Years when Romo had to be responsible for every yard gained, every first down earned and every touchdown scored. When defenses only had to do one thing, play coverage against Romo and spend all four quarters trying to trick him into a mistake. Like playing from behind late in a game when the defense knows you have to throw and disguise coverage dropping linemen and LB in order to try force a mistake in the few ticks Romo had to decide who was open due to a porous O line. Try doing that all game, week in and week out, because there's no running game to lean on or slow down the hounds. Romo went into every game knowing that if he didn't score they wouldn't. If he didn't scramble there would be no time because there was no pocket. Even when he did find a way to do all that, score enough points, scramble to by time, get first downs, and be up late, there was the defense to worry about. Unable to stop teams despite there being little more than enough time to nuke some coffee, surrendering that hard fought lead in the time it takes to snap the ball and throw deep to a wide open WR. When you have no running game DC's can create a lot of traps and in four quarters you're bound to end up in one, and I don't care how good you are.

This game is about truth. How the league made sure the Cowboys would be exhausted before their match with their division rivals. It was plain to see the team had no legs to fights on that Thursday night. The Eagles didn't see the true Cowboys team. Sunday night they will.

This game is about rolling up the "December woes" sound bites the media loves to quip about followed by Romo's record in the same month and ferociously ramming it right down their collective throats.

Most importantly, this game is about redemption. For all the years we came in undermanned, hobbled, defenseless, deprived and ultimately defeated.

Sunday you will see a healthy and very hungry Cowboys team roll up into the Link and do what they have wanted to do for years. The O line will open holes for Murray to run and protect Romo. El Matador will play one of his best games of the year having time to read the coverage and pick out the open man. You will see the best O line in football own the line of scrimmage. You will see the rushing leader go over the century mark again giving the offense balance and forcing the Eagles defense to play honest or be overwhelmed. On Sunday you're going to see an offense that can score with anyone in the league because finally El Matador isn't alone. He has help. He has players that have the talent, the tenacity, and the technique to turn from the travesties of the past and doze a new course. If you've noticed, there hasn't been much pre-snap drive killing penalties, no more turnstile pass protection, no more "no gain" rushing attempts indirectly telling Romo "it's all on you".

I know what you're thinking, that's all well and good but what about this defense? Yeah, it's not that good, I have to concede that. However, they fight. If you recall last time they played, the Eagles had their way with us the entire first half. Even had short field due to a Beasley fumble. But this defense held them to field goals. It could have been a total and complete blow out. Sanchez had no pressure and I don't mean pass rush. He played with the lead the entire game. He felt comfortable all day. That won't happen Sunday. Sanchez is going to have to make plays and make a lot of them, consistently. Last time we played, he may as well been placed in a crib with a warm bottle of milk, his favorite toy and a lullaby. Not this time.

Sanchez will be pressured this game both mentally and physically. He will have to score points every time he gets the ball or be behind. We haven't got the sacks but we do get pressure. The secondary will find a way to remove that extra tick of time he had in the first game and force him to go to his second and third reads. If you take his first read away Sanchez begins to panic and gets happy feet. That's when he makes mistakes. We will force two and that will be all the offense needs.

I know this was a long write up but I have really studied this team this year. For when this team is healthy, and has a normal 7 day week they win. The only loses this team has is when Romo was either out or hurt along with one or two lineman out. I don't care about the records of the teams we beat, I watched how this team plays with Romo healthy enough to be himself, McClain healthy in the middle and the starting O line in tacked. Because when that happens, this team can play football at a very high level.

We are going to watch our beloved Cowboys beat the Eagles on Sunday and look very very good doing it for two reasons.

1. The Cowboys offense is going to score 30+ points and force Sanchez to play above his ability trying to keep up. El Matador is going to play like he knows there are limited opportunities in his future and raise his game up.

2. The roles have been reversed, this time the Cowboys are fully rested and the Eagles just came off playing a physical Seahawks team. They won't be able to match as physical the Cowboys are going to be on Sunday. The O line will be it's dominant self, and our defense is going to be flying around laying the lumber on all that step between the lines on Sunday.

Sunday is for the division and a playoff berth. The Cowboys are going grab it and force it into a choke hold to make sure it doesn't get away, then face up to the history demon and knock it fricken teeth out.

Go Cowboys.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 1

Even though they lost the 1st to the Eagles, I'm really glad they went 2-1 in that crazy 3 game span in just 12 days with 2 away games out of the 3 (they lost their only home game obviously).

My concern is if the Cowboys do indeed beat the Eagles this week, but then lose next week to the Colts and finally beat the Redskins (or vice versa) while Philadelphia ends up beating the Redskins and Giants in their last two. Both teams would finish 11-5 with the Eagles having the better divisional record leaving us battling for a wild card spot. Doesn't that mean beating the Eagles this Sunday night is still far from confirming the division title and a playoff birth? A loss, however, would ultimately confirm no division title and no playoff birth even with a 11-5 record.

How Bout Em' Cowboys!

Even though they lost the 1st to the Eagles, I'm really glad they went 2-1 in that crazy 3 game span in just 12 days with 2 away games out of the 3 (they lost their only home game obviously).

My concern is if the Cowboys do indeed beat the Eagles this week, but then lose next week to the Colts and finally beat the Redskins (or vice versa) while Philadelphia ends up beating the Redskins and Giants in their last two. Both teams would finish 11-5 with the Eagles having the better divisional record leaving us battling for a wild card spot. Doesn't that mean beating the Eagles this Sunday night is still far from confirming the division title and a playoff birth? A loss, however, would ultimately confirm no division title and no playoff birth even with a 11-5 record.

How Bout Em' Cowboys!

Staying hyper focused on Sunday night, I say this game ultimately will decide the division and get us in the playoffs. Sunday Night is do or die. It's that simple.

This game is about truth. How the league made sure the Cowboys would be exhausted before their match with their division rivals. It was plain to see the team had no legs to fights on that Thursday night. The Eagles didn't see the true Cowboys team. Sunday night they will.

It's not like the Eagles had more time to rest for that game than the Cowboys did. Both teams played Sunday, both teams played the following Thursday. If anything, the Cowboys should have been the fresher team - that week 13 matchup was only 11 days after their bye. Philly's bye was a month earlier in week 7.

Edited by bud29

It's not like the Eagles had more time to rest for that game than the Cowboys did. Both teams played Sunday, both teams played the following Thursday. If anything, the Cowboys should have been the fresher team - that week 13 matchup was only 11 days after their bye. Philly's bye was a month earlier in week 7.

Ok, I know what I saw but hey, no matter. Both teams were screwed yet the Eagles were better that day. Fine. There won't be any excuses in this one agreed?

In Beyond TDs & Tackles (up soon on the main page) I included this game in the FOURTH DOWN section. It includes some tidbits on what happens to the chances for each team based on winning and/or losing this game. Plus there's a link to a cool tool on "Who To Root For In Week 15" to see what's best for your favorite team's playoff hopes.

Doesn't matter Texas' new favorite team the Browns is all that matters in Texas. Johnny Football man, go baby go..... :) (Well at least all of Texas will be able to see the game, and I'm sure many will be rooting for him.)

Dallas still has a decent shot at the playoffs with a loss, but needs to win out and get some help (losses by Lions and/or Seahawks).

Looking forward to the games this week.

If history is any indicator here, I see a close, hard-fought game into the 4th quarter. Then one of Romo's receivers will run the wrong route on an audible or simply fall down leading to a pass thrown straight into a defender's arms for a game changing INT and a loss(as always seems to happen in this type of game). 98% of fans will chalk it up as simply another Romo choke and Romo won't throw his receiver under the bus.

If history is any indicator here, I see a close, hard-fought game into the 4th quarter. Then one of Romo's receivers will run the wrong route on an audible or simply fall down leading to a pass thrown straight into a defender's arms for a game changing INT and a loss(as always seems to happen in this type of game). 98% of fans will chalk it up as simply another Romo choke and Romo won't throw his receiver under the bus.

this

Oy Vey...I dread tomorrow's post if this holds up

LMAO! I'm excited and can't wait!