[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about scoring adjustments

hezagenius

So I caught the last bit of the Titans/Jets game and saw that last play where there were a few laterals and Tennessee picked up like 60 yards before getting tackled/running out of bounds. The time ran out so that was the last play of the game.

It looked to me like the final lateral to Delanie Walker was an illegal forward pass but it wasn't called that at the time. I know stat keepers go back to review plays to make sure sacks are awarded to the right person or to make sure a QB threw a forward pass vs making a lateral and that sort of thing. I recall a few years back that Warner had a pass get changed to a lateral. Would a play like the final play in the Titans/Jets lateral ever get reviewed and the NFL make a ruling that said there was an illegal forward pass so the yardage that occured after that doesn't count?

Yes, I am playing against Walker so I have a vested interest in it. I don't recall the NFL ever going back and changing something like that but maybe it's just because I wasn't impacted by it.

I dont know for certain but I very much doubt they'd change it because it was a refereeing decision on whether the lateral pass went forward or not. No flag was thrown and any controversy was avoided, fantasy aside, so I'd assume the points stand. The NFL isn't in the business of publicly questioning the officials calls unless absolutely necessary so I doubt they will here.

If they can change the result of a non-call in a game then they could have gone back and changed the outcome of the Fail Mary pass in 2012.

Edited by Dolphin_Akie

Here is the play by play:

(:00) 12-C.Whitehurst pass short middle to 22-D.McCluster to TEN 48 for 6 yards. Lateral to 85-N.Washington to TEN 38 for -10 yards. Lateral to 12-C.Whitehurst to NYJ 42 for 20 yards. Lateral to 82-D.Walker to NYJ 9 for 33 yards (26-D.Landry).

McCluster gets 6 yards receiving plus a reception

Washington gets -10 yards receiving

Whitehurst gets 20 yards receiving

Walker gets 33 yards receiving

Whitehurst also gets 49 yards passing. (6-10+20+33=49)

Here is the play by play:

(:00) 12-C.Whitehurst pass short middle to 22-D.McCluster to TEN 48 for 6 yards. Lateral to 85-N.Washington to TEN 38 for -10 yards. Lateral to 12-C.Whitehurst to NYJ 42 for 20 yards. Lateral to 82-D.Walker to NYJ 9 for 33 yards (26-D.Landry).

McCluster gets 6 yards receiving plus a reception

Washington gets -10 yards receiving

Whitehurst gets 20 yards receiving

Walker gets 33 yards receiving

Whitehurst also gets 49 yards passing. (6-10+20+33=49)

ah..its under receiving..

So I caught the last bit of the Titans/Jets game and saw that last play where there were a few laterals and Tennessee picked up like 60 yards before getting tackled/running out of bounds. The time ran out so that was the last play of the game.

It looked to me like the final lateral to Delanie Walker was an illegal forward pass but it wasn't called that at the time. I know stat keepers go back to review plays to make sure sacks are awarded to the right person or to make sure a QB threw a forward pass vs making a lateral and that sort of thing. I recall a few years back that Warner had a pass get changed to a lateral. Would a play like the final play in the Titans/Jets lateral ever get reviewed and the NFL make a ruling that said there was an illegal forward pass so the yardage that occured after that doesn't count?

Yes, I am playing against Walker so I have a vested interest in it. I don't recall the NFL ever going back and changing something like that but maybe it's just because I wasn't impacted by it.

I won a game last wk on a stat change that took 4 rush yds from Fitzpatrick. Elias changes come out by thursday

Maybe Elias is only allowed to change a pass to lateral or vice versa because it is only stats being moved around (from rushing to passing/receiving). But to rule the final lateral in that play would be more of an officials decision, and they cannot do that.

Would be interesting to hear more about what limits they have to work with regarding stats changes.

Yeah, it's more just wishful thinking but I didn't know if it's ever happened before. I'm still burned up because until about the last 2.5 minutes of the game, Walker had 2 receptions for 9 yards. And then he ends up with 4 rec for 93 yards. That's a 9.4 point swing in the last 2.5 minutes and now I'm down 12.2 points with Stills left. I'd much rather be down only 2.8 points.

Sucks but all yards on that play count towards whomever takes the ball from wherever they take the ball from. Just like a pitch on an option play 20 yards past the LOS the RB gets the yards from there to where he's stopped. Contrary to those who stated otherwise in this thread they are wrong

I'm aware of how the yardage is accounted for. My issue is that it appeared to be an illegal forward lateral and the play should have been blown dead before Walker accumulated any yardage.

It's just like every other blown call in the history of the NFL. It stands. Has a call EVER been changed after a game was completed?

• Like 1

How is this not ruled a sack? Doesn't affect win/loss, but it does affect our league's (i.e. my) rotisserie points for the week.

In the 3rd quarter... play starts at their own 49, QB fumbles snap and recovers it himself, then "no gain" to 43 yard line. Had he recovered in time to throw the ball, this wouldn't have been "no gain". Seems odd, almost unfair it's not a sack.

3-3-HOU 49

7:10) (Shotgun) 3-T.Savage FUMBLES (Aborted) at HOU 44, and recovers at HOU 43. 3-T.Savage to HOU 43 for no gain (92-B.Werner).

How is this not ruled a sack? Doesn't affect win/loss, but it does affect our league's (i.e. my) rotisserie points for the week.

In the 3rd quarter... play starts at their own 49, QB fumbles snap and recovers it himself, then "no gain" to 43 yard line. Had he recovered in time to throw the ball, this wouldn't have been "no gain". Seems odd, almost unfair it's not a sack.

3-3-HOU 49

7:10) (Shotgun) 3-T.Savage FUMBLES (Aborted) at HOU 44, and recovers at HOU 43. 3-T.Savage to HOU 43 for no gain (92-B.Werner).

Don't know the technicalities but I think for it to be a sack the QB has to have the intention of throwing the football during the play. Just like on a read-option if the QB keeps and is tackled for a loss, the defense isn't credited with a sack.

In this case Tom Savage didn't even begin to attempt to throw the ball because of the fumble so it's just classed as him recovering the fumble and rushing for a one yard loss I'm guessing.

Don't know the technicalities but I think for it to be a sack the QB has to have the intention of throwing the football during the play. Just like on a read-option if the QB keeps and is tackled for a loss, the defense isn't credited with a sack.

In this case Tom Savage didn't even begin to attempt to throw the ball because of the fumble so it's just classed as him recovering the fumble and rushing for a one yard loss I'm guessing.

I believe that is correct, every tackle behind LOS isn't a sack, whether it is the QB or another player. If a RB takes a hand off then starts trying to throw and is tackled for a loss that is (or should be) a sack as well.