[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeMarco Murray to have hand surgery

Big John

Your time here in the past wasn't wasting time? Those 30,000+ posts were you being productive? We are all wasting time here except those few lucky enough to get paid. You know football. And you enjoy expressing your opinion. That should be enough.

Productive is a relative term. Like his approach or not Grits spent a large amount of his time helping folks out in the advice forum, hence the high number of posts. He also was very active in this forum with debates and discussion. So, yeah, relative to The Huddle he was extremely productive. Something that is sorely missed.

... and speaking of peaking ... I am very concerned that my fantasy team peaked this week. Nice getting to the championship and all, but after this week I just see my team coming out flat next week.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I probably shouldn't have won this week, but once again OBJ bailed me out. Next week I get the team with Manning, Le'Veon Bell, Dez & Emmanuel Sanders. I have a feeling that I'm going to get demolished for the 2nd championship appearance in a row.

From Rotoworld:

According to DallasCowboys.com's Bryan Broaddus, the "early thinking" is DeMarco Murray (hand) will play in Week 16 against the Colts.

A former longtime Cowboys and NFL scout, Broaddus is as plugged-in as anyone covering the team. Cowboys VP Stephen Jones stated on Sirius XM Radio Monday that Murray faced an "uphill battle" to face Indianapolis, but that may have been gamesmanship ahead of arguably the biggest game of Week 16. It's worth noting that Murray's band surgery on his hand was performed on his left hand. Murray primarily carries the ball with his right hand. The injury could affect him in pass protection and as a receiver, but Murray should be all systems go as a ball carrier against the Colts.

For fear of hijacking this.................

We have waivers open through the playoffs in one of my leagues. The teams eligible to use it include the main playoffs and toilet bowl playoff teams, and we continue to use our rolling waiver wire method to set the order. The Murray owner - who qualified for the championship - is last among the remaining teams. The team he will likely face in the finals is first among the remaining teams.

Now if the other championship team picks him up to block the Murray owner from getting him, I don't have a problem with that, that's just strategy.

My question is if you were a toilet bowl team that was still active, would you make the move to get Randle? I am in that position, but I thought about it and I am not going to do it. It just seems like a total dick move for a toilet bowl team to do something like that, but that's my opinion on it. The Murray owner is going to be potentially hurting at RB this week as well because all he has left is Charles (and Knile Davis), along with Herron (and T-Rich), and Donald Brown.

FWIW, my team is decimated by injuries at RB and WR as well, which is why I am where I am, but I hate to potentially influence the outcome of our league championship for a lousy toilet bowl title. Sure there's some cash involved to whoever wins it, but it's really the principle of the thing to me.

I'd play in a league with you any day, great attitude and fully respect you not wanting to screw over somebody competing for a title. Many would say "screw it, there's money on the line for me, so I'd add Randle and F the Murray owner."

PS I also don't see using Randle as a desperation move, whether the owner has Murray or not. There is great potential there, unless you're already stacked at RB (or flex) he is worth adding and using. The Murray owner in our league is in the title game, and I fully expect him to try and add Randle through waivers tonight.

You make a good point. Dallas can't worry about the playoffs. They need to do whatever it takes to get to the playoffs. It will be sad if Tony Romo never wins a playoff game, but it will be sadder if Dallas misses the playoffs again this year.

And welcome back! It's good that you are back. And talking about football. You know football. Let's keep these good dialogues coming!

I couldn't agree more, this has been some of the best discussion (and best posts I've read from Grits) in quite a while.

I think this is all a smoke screen by the Cowboys so the Colts prepare for Murray. I do not think he will play.

I think fans of the game believe this stuff happens far more often than it does. How big a difference is there planning for Murray or no Murray? It isn't like a running QB vs. a pocket QB.

So I just looked ... on the year Randle as a total of 34 carries for 237 yards // 6.9 YPC.

With only 34 touches on the year I am even MORE convinced that his YPC is fool's gold. There is nothing that leads me to believe that if Randle gets a number of touches in a game that is equivalent to the number of touches he has on the ENTIRE season to this point that he would be able to produce the same YPC.

I think fans of the game believe this stuff happens far more often than it does. How big a difference is there planning for Murray or no Murray? It isn't like a running QB vs. a pocket QB.

If you don't think teams scout individual running backs tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses, you're crazy.

Hell, the Bengals coaches admitted they went back and looked at tape from Manziel in college in losses. You scout the player you are going to see the most

Honestly I am not sure what I think about this. Do you start the guy, only to have him find that it's bothering him in the game? 5-6 carries in the first quarter and they end up running Randle/Dunbar for the rest of the game?

Part of me wishes he'd just sit this out and let Randle run so I'm not stuck with a potential 3-4 points out of the guy.

If you don't think teams scout individual running backs tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses, you're crazy.

Hell, the Bengals coaches admitted they went back and looked at tape from Manziel in college in losses. You scout the player you are going to see the most

I believe coaches scout and use every bit of info they have available. I just don't think it makes that big a difference in how the game plan for Murray or no-Murray (more Randle).

But primarily I don't think coaches play games "this guy will start or is a GTD" to get the opponent to game plan that way. Maybe I'm naive, but it just sounds like made up drama.

Honestly I am not sure what I think about this. Do you start the guy, only to have him find that it's bothering him in the game? 5-6 carries in the first quarter and they end up running Randle/Dunbar for the rest of the game?

Part of me wishes he'd just sit this out and let Randle run so I'm not stuck with a potential 3-4 points out of the guy.

Unless something major crops up (knock on wood), I think he plays. And plays a ton like normal. Maybe 5 less touches.

Just a gut feeling I have that he's hearing his name with Emmitt's right now, and that has become a HUGH sense of pride for him. Playoffs on the line. Contract year. Unless he has no left hand at all come Sunday... he's playing. A lot.

I believe coaches scout and use every bit of info they have available. I just don't think it makes that big a difference in how the game plan for Murray or no-Murray (more Randle).

But primarily I don't think coaches play games "this guy will start or is a GTD" to get the opponent to game plan that way. Maybe I'm naive, but it just sounds like made up drama.

I tend to agree when we are talking about running backs. It is still the same offensive line, the same blocking scheme, and the same playbook (or maybe a playbook that is pared down). I get that they make try to identify specific tendencies in a RB ... say something like he always carries the ball in his left hand ... but I don't think a change of RB has that big of an impact in defensive game planning. Might be a different story with quarter backs when you go from a pure pocket passer to a running quarterback.

• Like 1