[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff Fantasy Football

Shorttynaz

Just curious if anyone out there does something like this - and/or if there's sites to manage it - or would it all have to be done via email.

I've been a part of my local yearly redraft for the past 12-13 years or so.. The league is ran on ESPN - it's a 10 team PPR league - $100 buy in. I'm thinking of extending this to a regular season & optional playoff league..

At draft day next August, when we all come to the table with our $100 and buy into the league, offer anyone who wants to be part of this playoff league to buy in for $20 or something like that. Play out the regular season, determine a winner, payouts, etc.

Between week 17 and wild card weekend - for all those who bought into the playoff league, hold a new draft. Draft a standard 10 man roster so that it's filled with the standard positions that we had in our regular season. You can't make any adds/drops/trades throughout this 4 week season. There is actually a lot of strategy that goes into this.. Do I draft A Luck who could be a stud in week 1, but could easily be knocked out of the playoffs - or do I draft a D Thomas or T Brady - they won't play week 1 but could be studs week 2, 3, and potentially the superbowl. This would just be a winner take all type of thing. Whoever paid into it at the beginning of the season gets to draft a team. Whatever the fee was (anything over $100) goes into a pot - and after the superbowl, whatever team scored the most points through the playoff's wins the playoff championship and that pot.

I like the potential here - just curious if anyone else runs any sort of playoff league - if it's similar to this or different?

CBS allows each team to draft whatever players they want and gives 7 or 8 "swaps" where you can substitute any of your picks with new players in between playoff rounds. We have been doing this for a few years now in our league, but we don't put money on it. We use it to determine draft order for the following year. Winner gets to pick his draft position, 2nd place goes next, etc.

I run a playoff league/contest every year on MFL. They (MFL) offer free playoff leagues, so it pays out 100% (I keep nothing). Pick a lineup every week, but you can only use any given player one time (during the 4 weeks of playoffs). Similar to what DMD does here (SPIT I think it's called), but this one costs $20 per team. I had 60+ players last year (including a few Huddlers... D3, Irish, etc.) Here is what my payouts looked like last year:

1st place - $500

2nd place - $225

3rd place - $125

4th place - $75

5th place - $50

Weekly high scores - ($60 x 4 = 240)

Highest single-week score - $65 (in addition to the $60 for weekly high score)

$1280 total (64 x $20)

I will post something here after this weekend, in case anybody is interested in joining. Here is a link to last year's contest, in case anyone is curious:

http://www2.myfantasyleague.com/2013/home/49959#0

It's either DMD or Keg that sets up one of these for message board participants to get in on. It is run through MFL.

There is also the Playoff Challenge on NFL.com. You can create private groups on that game. I play this every year and it is a ton of fun.

I run a playoff league/contest every year on MFL. They (MFL) offer free playoff leagues, so it pays out 100% (I keep nothing). Pick a lineup every week, but you can only use any given player one time (during the 4 weeks of playoffs). Similar to what DMD does here (SPIT I think it's called), but this one costs $20 per team. I had 60+ players last year (including a few Huddlers... D3, Irish, etc.) Here is what my payouts looked like last year:

1st place - $500

2nd place - $225

3rd place - $125

4th place - $75

5th place - $50

$1280 total (64 x $20)

I will post something here after this weekend, in case anybody is interested in joining. Here is a link to last year's contest, in case anyone is curious:

http://www2.myfantas...13/home/49959#0

:tup:

Please shoot me a reminder text/email when you got this all set up. I'll definitely be in and you can just pull $20 from one of the league winnings. B)

1st place - $500

2nd place - $225

3rd place - $125

4th place - $75

5th place - $50

$1280 total (64 x $20)

http://www2.myfantas...13/home/49959#0

Do you have this set up yet? I'm interested too.

Just renewed my league on MFL. For those who have already posted that they're interested, I'll send you a PM by this weekend. For others who may be interested, post here, and I'll send you one as well. Here is a quick rundown of the rules:

- $20 per contestant

- Must pick a lineup for each week of the NFL playoffs (including Super Bowl)

- Each lineup must contain a QB, 2 RB’s, 3 WR’s, a TE, and kicker (No defense).

- You can only use each player once during the 4 weeks of the playoffs.

- Official NFL scoring will be used for the contest.

- Players lock at kickoff of their game.

- Lineups are not visible until the last game of each week has kicked off.

Scoring:

- 4 pts for a TD pass

- 6 pts for a TD run or catch

- 2 pts for a 2-pt conversion run, pass, or catch (A 2-pt throw would be worth 2 for both the passer and the receiver)

- 1 pt for every 10 yards rushing/receiving, to the nearest tenth of a point (81 yards rushing = 8.1 pts, etc.)

- 1 pt for every 20 yards passing, to two decimal places (.05 pts per yard passing)

- 1 pt for every kicker PAT

- 3 pts for every field goal

Payouts vary from year to year (this contest is growing quickly), but I can guarantee that 100% of entry fees are paid to the winners (nothing withheld, and MFL cost is zero). In 2012, I had 44 participants ($880 paid out), and the overall winner received $300. Last year, the total number increased by 20 (to 64). The total payout was $1280, and 1st place took home $500. Here is an example of what was paid in 2012:

1st place - $300

2nd place - $120

3rd place - $80

4th place - $60

5th place - $40

Weekly high scores - $220 ($55 x 4)

Highest single-week score - $60

$880 total

At the very least, those same payouts will occur this year (top five, weekly high scores, as well as single-week high score). Depending on how many people participate, I may consider going beyond just the top 5 (or paying out two spots each week). But, again, everybody that goes into this contest is paid out. That is why it continues to grow... Everybody enjoys it, and is paid promptly. I have had very few people participate, and not stick around for future years. :)

Just renewed my league on MFL. For those who have already posted that they're interested, I'll send you a PM by this weekend. For others who may be interested, post here, and I'll send you one as well. Here is a quick rundown of the rules:

- $20 per contestant

- Must pick a lineup for each week of the NFL playoffs (including Super Bowl)

- Each lineup must contain a QB, 2 RB’s, 3 WR’s, a TE, and kicker (No defense).

- You can only use each player once during the 4 weeks of the playoffs.

- Official NFL scoring will be used for the contest.

- Players lock at kickoff of their game.

- Lineups are not visible until the last game of each week has kicked off.

Scoring:

- 4 pts for a TD pass

- 6 pts for a TD run or catch

- 2 pts for a 2-pt conversion run, pass, or catch (A 2-pt throw would be worth 2 for both the passer and the receiver)

- 1 pt for every 10 yards rushing/receiving, to the nearest tenth of a point (81 yards rushing = 8.1 pts, etc.)

- 1 pt for every 20 yards passing, to two decimal places (.05 pts per yard passing)

- 1 pt for every kicker PAT

- 3 pts for every field goal

Payouts vary from year to year (this contest is growing quickly), but I can guarantee that 100% of entry fees are paid to the winners (nothing withheld, and MFL cost is zero). In 2012, I had 44 participants ($880 paid out), and the overall winner received $300. Last year, the total number increased by 20 (to 64). The total payout was $1280, and 1st place took home $500. Here is an example of what was paid in 2012:

1st place - $300

2nd place - $120

3rd place - $80

4th place - $60

5th place - $40

Weekly high scores - $220 ($55 x 4)

Highest single-week score - $60

$880 total

At the very least, those same payouts will occur this year (top five, weekly high scores, as well as single-week high score). Depending on how many people participate, I may consider going beyond just the top 5 (or paying out two spots each week). But, again, everybody that goes into this contest is paid out. That is why it continues to grow... Everybody enjoys it, and is paid promptly. I have had very few people participate, and not stick around for future years. :)

I'm in if there is any more room. Thanks!

"You can only use each player once during the 4 weeks of the playoffs."

This seems simplistic, but I'll confirm: it's a bit of a survivor pool approach? Pick your weekly players carefully as you'll want to be leaving those you believe to be SB bound untouched until that game? ie: don't go picking Russell Wilson week 1 if you think the Seahawks will be going for a repeat title, otherwise you might not have a QB to choose from for SB week lineup

"You can only use each player once during the 4 weeks of the playoffs."

This seems simplistic, but I'll confirm: it's a bit of a survivor pool approach? Pick your weekly players carefully as you'll want to be leaving those you believe to be SB bound untouched until that game? ie: don't go picking Russell Wilson week 1 if you think the Seahawks will be going for a repeat title, otherwise you might not have a QB to choose from for SB week lineup

Correct. You want to pick the players who score the most points, obviously. But, if you just blindly attempt to do so, without factoring in who you think will win whatsoever, there's a good chance you might be left without a starting QB (or kicker) for the SB. It adds a bit of (extra) strategy, and makes for an interesting four week contest.

Call me old-school if you want, but we've kept this contest pretty simple... No PPR, no team defense, no extra points added for long(er) FG's, etc. The only thing that has changed, since I started this contest, was switching to MFL in 2008 (prior to that, I literally tracked everything on an Excel spreadsheet). Of course, for the first half-dozen years or so, there were only about 10-15 of us each year, so it was easier to use Excel. It's grown pretty steadily since then... From about 18 participants in 2008, to 44 in 2012, and then a big jump (to 64) last year.