[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon suspended for Week 17

Wolverines Fan

Gordon loses an accrued year of tenure because of missing this game, so he's an RFA after this season instead of a UFA. I wonder if the Browns intended to do this to him all along so he couldn't walk. Not saying he didn't miss the walk through, but it sure is convenient for the Browns that this happened in a meaningless week 17 game.

• Like 1

I bet the Browns are kicking themselves for not drafting one of the rookie RW in the first round now. It would make trading Gordon so much easier.

This has Patriots written all over it. Belichick trades a #2 and a #5 for Gordon, Gordon gets motivated. Brady has a new toy. 2-3 years of bliss in NE.

I bet the Browns are kicking themselves for not drafting one of the rookie RW in the first round now. It would make trading Gordon so much easier.

This has Patriots written all over it. Belichick trades a #2 and a #5 for Gordon, Gordon gets motivated. Brady has a new toy. 2-3 years of bliss in NE.

I would take that trade. I don't see Belichick offering it. Maybe a conditional 4th.

As a dynasty Gordon owner this would be awesome. As a hater of all things Patriots, this would suck.

Gordon loses an accrued year of tenure because of missing this game, so he's an RFA after this season instead of a UFA. I wonder if the Browns intended to do this to him all along so he couldn't walk. Not saying he didn't miss the walk through, but it sure is convenient for the Browns that this happened in a meaningless week 17 game.

After next season. He has one year remaining still on the current contract.

this kid doesn't get it.

Another example of million dollat talent with a 10 cent head.

According to a local article, he may not lose tht accrued season

But a league source told cleveland.com that Gordon's camp and the Browns are currently in talks to determine if he'll lose the accrued season, which requires six games on the active roster.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/johnny_manziel_josh_gordon_bot.html#incart_big-photo

The story also says the game suspension was the next step for the Browns in dealing with Gordon who has been late or missed other team functions and fined.

After next season. He has one year remaining still on the current contract.

Correct, losing 2014 as a season means RFA-UFA status gets pushed out to after 2015-16. Keep in mind that was going to be the case had he remained suspended all season.

From the article I linked above

If the two sides can't reach an agreement and Gordon is credited with only five games, he'll have to wait until after 2016 to become an unrestricted free agent. He will, however, be eligible for restricted free agency after next season, which means a team can make him an offer that the Browns would have the chance to match.

Can only hope..Brady never gets the great receivers :(

Correct, losing 2014 as a season means RFA-UFA status gets pushed out to after 2015-16. Keep in mind that was going to be the case had he remained suspended all season.

No it doesn't. He was always scheduled to be a Free Agent in 2016. Losing 2014 as an accrued season means that at that time he will be a Restricted FA instead of Unrestricted. To be an Unrestricted FA a player have 4 accrued seasons, and now Gordon won't.

No it doesn't. He was always scheduled to be a Free Agent in 2016. Losing 2014 as an accrued season means that at that time he will be a Restricted FA instead of Unrestricted. To be an Unrestricted FA a player have 4 accrued seasons, and now Gordon won't.

Ok thanks, still his losing 2014 means waiting another year for free agency.

Taz, where did you see Gilbert was suspended? Article I read mentioned he missed some meetings and was fined or not allowed to play.

No, still a free agent in 2016. If you mean another year until he's Unrestricted, it's actually likely much worse than that. Who's going to be willing to offer him a 1 year deal/extension, knowing they then have to then try to re-sign him a year later with UFA leverage? There aren't a whole lot of RFA contracts to model after, but he's probably going to have to accept a 2 or 3 year deal.

Taz, where did you see Gilbert was suspended? Article I read mentioned he missed some meetings and was fined or not allowed to play.

The news on Gilbert must have come later I did hear more about it today. Wonder if all these guys were at JF's big party. I guess the whole team wasn't invited or most of the others had enough sense to go to bed earlier or set an alarm so they make it to practice on time.

The owner and coach say this BS will not be accepted, several vets went to them and told them they better straighten the younger guys out.

No, still a free agent in 2016. If you mean another year until he's Unrestricted, it's actually likely much worse than that. Who's going to be willing to offer him a 1 year deal/extension, knowing they then have to then try to re-sign him a year later with UFA leverage? There aren't a whole lot of RFA contracts to model after, but he's probably going to have to accept a 2 or 3 year deal.

Yes I did mean Unrestricted, but I guess I'm still not fully understanding all of this. But the end result is losing this game is not good for Gordon.

Edited by stevegrab

Yes I did mean Unrestricted, but I guess I'm still not fully understanding all of this. But the end result is losing this game is not good for Gordon.

It's kind of like taking only one college class your junior year. You're still 22 years old, you are still in your 4th calendar year after HS, but you haven't earned enough credit to be a Senior.

The contract is 4 years. It's not 4 accrued seasons. So after 2015, Gordon's contract has run its course regardless of how many games, yards, catches, or anything else. However, only three of those years "count" toward Free Agency. There are multiple levels of Free Agency:

Exclusive Rights Free Agent - less that three accrued seasons

Restricted Free Agent - three accrued seasons

Unrestricted Free Agent - 4 or more accrued seasons or no qualifying offer made in earlier year

ERFA can't negotiate with anyone other than the original team.

RFA gets complex, but short story is they can negotiate and sign offers sheet from any team, but original team can match or get compensation from any team signing the RFA away

UFA can negotiate and sign with anyone, no matching or compensation required unless Franchise/Transition tag used (but that's another thread haha).

• Like 3