[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty/Salary Cap Format...Does TRich have any value?

sksmith

I've taken over a team in a Dynasty/Salary Cap format with IDP, and it's my first venture in that world.

Been offered a trade of my M Kendricks (PHI LB) for TRich, straight up...

I can't see TRich as even a late season waiver pickup anymore, but my evaluation of him is purely redraft league driven. The move would save me just shy of $4 mil in cap space yearly. The existing RBs on this new team of mine are S Vereen, C Michael, and R Turbin; not exactly a point scoring trio, and no practice squad prospect.

Is my perceived value of TRich in line with his value in dynasty format? Does the $4 mil cap savings make up for this? Should I attempt to counter offer and get a draft pick + TRich (and which round, out of 6, would be best)? Or just say no?

Wait, no...I'd be the one giving up Kendricks to get TRich.

The only reason I'm even giving it a bit of thought is salary cap savings of $4 mil; can I do enough work with that much new spending money to make up for the Kendricks loss or is the hole known as TRich just too big to get out of?

You are getting sharked. As Zooty said, Kendricks is a stud LB. This is really an easy answer, go to MFL, sort by position, and list out the top scorers at each position. It really depends on your league's rules, but the salary cap consideration should be a very distant one. Unless you're crippled by cap space and/or your league is overly penalizing for cap (mis-)management, I can't imagine it's worth the 10+ ppg you'd lose here.

Obvious question - what will you do with this new-found $4M? Who's available to sign/promote into it?

Wait, no...I'd be the one giving up Kendricks to get TRich.

The only reason I'm even giving it a bit of thought is salary cap savings of $4 mil; can I do enough work with that much new spending money to make up for the Kendricks loss or is the hole known as TRich just too big to get out of?

Yeah, not a chance

I'm not crippled, but certainly hampered by existing contract salaries/years.

I've only had time for cursory research into my IDP roster and Kendricks is clearly one of the better players (and I think his contract is in line with his value). My IDP group as a whole is actually the cornerstone of the team's point total for the year, the offense is horribly lacking.

I'm mainly throwing this out there to see if how I'm thinking I should approach dynasty v. redraft is on the right track; that I'm placing value "properly" on players for use now and later. I see this team's current makeup as completely out of contention next season, there's just not enough to work with and any move made is to shore up stability in future seasons. The gained cap space from the trade in question could be used to land AP during preseason FA auction, but then I'd probably have to spend a good majority of overall cap to get him and then I'm left with crumbs for any other waiver pickups or good rookie contracts.

This is how I viewed the proposed trade initially: Kendricks for TRich is essentially the same as dropping Kendricks to save the gained cap space, because TRich is talentless and roster waste...and now that I've talked it thru, I'm a tad more confident in how I'm approaching this team

Yeah again your league rules will be key, but I have found cap space to be a much smaller issue than it looks like once you're up close. Most FF leagues use the cap as a broad brush to minimize dominance rather than the razor-thin line between harmony and disaster it can be in the NFL, so unless it's overly complex or penalizing I would tend to not make decisions around it.

Cap penalties are only a concern when dropping a player prior to contract expiration...with the trade, you'd simply acquire new players contract and lose previously owned players' contract

In the end, TRich is still TRich no matter what league format...unless some other trade presents itself beforehand, my next big question for this team is who to take first in rookie draft: Amari Cooper, Melvin Gordon, or Todd Gurley