[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beer & Microbrew thread

keggerz

I saw a post in another thread about starting a thread about beer and figured since we do the Tapped In segments that focus on beer in the Blitzed Podcast that I might as well get this thing kicked off.

fwiw, In our episode that will be up the week ending January 23rd we are scheduled to have an interview with the founder of Founder's Brewing.

What is this Untappd that you speak of?

Allagash makes some good brew, haven't seen Curieux yet. A trip to Alcoholic Warehouse (aka Total Wine & Sprits) is in order for a You Pick 6 (or 12)

I'm currently finishing up my New Belgium Accumulation, love that brewery!

I don't know where you live, is the joys of growler use available to you? I was recently introduced to that method of beer purchase visiting my bro in GA and oh my! It's fantastic!

What is this Untappd that you speak of?

Allagash makes some good brew, haven't seen Curieux yet. A trip to Alcoholic Warehouse (aka Total Wine & Sprits) is in order for a You Pick 6 (or 12)

I'm currently finishing up my New Belgium Accumulation, love that brewery!

I don't know where you live, is the joys of growler use available to you? I was recently introduced to that method of beer purchase visiting my bro in GA and oh my! It's fantastic!

Untappd is a free app that allows you to track, rate, and share opinions/comments of the various beers you try. Kinda like a mobile BeerAdvocate for the masses.

My affinity for reds & browns comes and goes throughout the year, but if you can find Tilburgs Dutch Brown Ale on tap, it is one of the best out there; not all that great in a bottle, though

The Publix down the street has its own liquor store attached. The manager there is given pretty much free rein with inventory choices and I've taken the opportunity to successfully lobby for new beer selections. New Belgium and Sweetwater breweries being my first couple victories and, after checking in last night, found that my Fullers ESB was in stock! This 6-pack won't last long, shoulda bought 2...Red Hook makes a very good ESB, too

for north america, check out:

new belgium: lips of faith, tripple, double, grand cru

unibroue: all excellent

Allegash

ommegang

avery

North coast: just did a beer paring this week with them

russian river

kona: i like them in the summer (we just went there for lunch yesterday)

firestone walker

Got a growler of Stone Project's Master of Disguise for the big game last night.

Love that beer! We also had a 6 pack of The Brew Kettle's White Rajah (IPA), a bottle of Fat Head's Shakedown Stout (tasted like an IPA Stout) Jackie O's Dark Apparition, Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero.

We've got quite a few breweries around here and I'm starting to get into other beers. I'm mostly a simple lager guy (Yuengling is my staple) but also like Pale Ales, and IPAs. Not a fan of stouts or porters, taste is just too strong.

I do like New Belgium their Ranger and Fat Tire are regulars in my fridge. Also had a lot of Christmas Ales over the holidays, mostly from local breweries Great Lakes and Thirsty Dog (Akron). Also made a couple trips to Fat Heads (suburban Cleveland) where I learned the manager is an old friend from my 20s. The Brew Kettle is another local one, and I had some of their beer earlier this year (might have been an Oktoberfest).

Last year I attended a motorcycle event with my brother in northern Michigan in the town of Bellaire, home to Short's brewery. We had dinner there one night and a good sandwich, and had some of their beer from the store during the weekend.

Haven't done a growler in a while, but might give them a try in the future.

Love me some Ommegang.

New Belgium is good too.

I have been going the somewhat cheaper route lately while beer shopping, but I really enjoy Schells beers (made in New Ulm, MN and is the 2nd oldest family owned brewery in the country), and Point Brewery out of Steven's Point, WI has really stepped up their quality over the last few years and makes some very enjoyable beers as well. A buddy of mine is the assistant brewmaster there and they have really stepped up their game.

I think I've forgotten more micro brews than I remember. I used to be able to put together a list about 20 long without thinking about it.

My opinion is possibly skewed by the amount I drank, but while at the Highland Games yesterday the beer was provided by local guys Dunedin Brewery and both their red and gold ales are quite tasty, go down smooth...nothing like walking around with a sword on your back, pitcher full of beer (no need for a cup, straight out the pitcher), watching dudes throw heavy sh*t around

^still part of The Blitz or something else?

Couldn't resist since I hadn't seen or had it in quite a while, got some Rogue Dead Guy Ale at the grocery store the other night...was a good decision

^still part of The Blitz or something else?

Couldn't resist since I hadn't seen or had it in quite a while, got some Rogue Dead Guy Ale at the grocery store the other night...was a good decision

Yep, still part of the Blitzed Podcast...we're just recording once per month during the offseason.

Local bar is having a Founders event today at 4. Not gonna make it for it but they are having a flight of Breakfast Stout, Kentucky Breakfast Stout and Canadian Breakfast Stout. $15. Man, I really wanna go as I've been dying to try that CBS for a looong time. Can't leave at 3 to make it though.

Will be opening some Goose Island Bourbon County Stout this weekend. Typically like my beers (even stouts) on the cooler side. For this one though, seen a couple advising it to be warm. Any thoughts or opinions from those that have had it?

Will be opening some Goose Island Bourbon County Stout this weekend. Typically like my beers (even stouts) on the cooler side. For this one though, seen a couple advising it to be warm. Any thoughts or opinions from those that have had it?

I've tried the whole room temperature thing with a few beers upon suggestion of proper serving technique...never did enough to the taste compared to chilled for me to say "yeah, let's not put it in the fridge". Maybe an acquired taste type thing, but I'm no fan of it in general

I like my stouts and porters on the warmer side. Some dark ales too. 55 or above. sometimes if I'm slow drinking it, it will get to room temp. Most have better flavor there. I keep my dark beers in a wine fridge at about 50 and other beers in a beer fridge at 35

I have a bottle of 2013 in the cellar. When I do drink it, it will be on the warmer side. It really opens it up