[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beer & Microbrew thread

keggerz

I drank one of these last night, the only beer I had during the title game. I grabbed one in a build a six pack recently to see how it compares to the other Kentucky Bourbon Barrel aie I had before. I don't remember it having that much of a kick, I was going to drink it one night saw the 10% ABV and thought "nope that will put me to sleep now". (Checked the other was 8.2%)

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/430/144086/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ballast Point Sculpin IPAs - bought a couple in a build a six pack, the Grapefruit was pretty good, not too much fruity taste (why I've avoided most fruity sounding beers). I'm saving the Watermelon Dorado for a night when I'll only have a single one, as it 10%. And preferrably on a hot summer evening.

ETA

Drank that Watermelon Dorado last night to kick off the Cavs ass whooping in the Eastern Conference Finals..

Man that was a good beer, very tasty and quit the ass kicker. A couple of those on a summer afternoon and I'd need a siesta.

Edited by stevegrab
  • Like 1

Ballast Point Sculpin IPAs - bought a couple in a build a six pack, the Grapefruit was pretty good, not too much fruity taste (why I've avoided most fruity sounding beers). I'm saving the Watermelon Dorado for a night when I'll only have a single one, as it 10%. And preferrably on a hot summer evening.

ETA

Drank that Watermelon Dorado last night to kick off the Cavs ass whooping in the Eastern Conference Finals..

Man that was a good beer, very tasty and quit the ass kicker. A couple of those on a summer afternoon and I'd need a siesta.

Try the Pineapple Sculpin if you can find it. It is a little sweeter than the Grapefruit, but still a subtle fruitiness compared to some other fruit infused beers I have had.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was on vacation in Sparta NC, and had some Hoppyum ipa from Foothills Brewing in NC, pretty good stuff.

My friend stopped at Damascus Brewery (nearby in Virginia) and they will can their beer for you on site, they were huge 32oz cans for $6 each. I tried their Beaver Rage IPA and also had some mango flavored one (Honey Mango Shandy). He took several home back to Ohio with him. http://www.thedamascusbrewery.com/default.html

Damascus is a small town on US58 where the Appalachain Trail crosses, with some great surrounding twisty roads.

• Like 1

Foothills is a good brewery.

Willoughby Brewing Company by me does the canning of their beers on site. They're called Crowlers.

I was at a bar in Warren area where a musician friend plays (Up A Creek) and they've greatly expanded their draft beer selection. I asked the waitress what they had, she said go check the boards inside. Lots of the usual stuff (Sam Adams, Great Lakes, domestic junk) but they also had Deshutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, and Fat Head's Bumbleberry (plus others) which I drank.

And this is not a hip type bar, its more a neighborhood bar where many locals come and drinks lots of domestic beer (especially their buckets special 4/$9).

I'll be in New Orleans for business a couple days next week, no time to hit any of the breweries but I'll try local stuff at the bars when I'm out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On a steamy hot day in the mid 90's feeling like in the mid 100's there is nothing better than a nice cold Head High Pale Ale from Green Room Brewing.

• Like 1

I have had so many good beers lately, I can't remember them all.

Went down to FL over the July 4th weekend to visit with Cousins. Had plenty of Cigar City, Jai Alai, Florida Cracker and Maduro. Also stopped at two breweries, Saltwater and Copperpoint.

Saltwater I had a 13% strong ale with raspberries called The Black Current and their everyday handle IPA called Screamin' Reels. At Copperpoint, I had a grapefruit saison and a blood orange wit.

I also had Hops 4 Teacher IPA from J. Wakefield Brewing, another I've been wanting to try.

Stone's Citrusy Wit, Wisconsin Brewing's #022 (Nectarine), and Half Acre's Daisy Cutter were some of the more impressive tasting beers I've had this summer.

Had a lot of Moody Tongue's Sliced Nectarine lately. It's only an above average citrus IPA, but for some reason I can just drink the manure out of it. That and the Sculpins have been my go to beers lately.

• Like 1

I was in Vermont late June and bought some Long Trail IPA, and then some of the lager at the hotel bar. A few days later we were out on a motorcycle ride and went past the Long Trail brewery. At a welcome center I picked up a Craft Beer guide for Vermont listing many breweries with some info on their beers, hours, tours and food. And there was a large map foldout that showed them all, many were clustered in the NW part of the state near Burlington. I believe this Vermont Brewer's Association site was behind that brochure.

http://www.vermontbrewers.com/

I was in Vermont late June and bought some Long Trail IPA, and then some of the lager at the hotel bar. A few days later we were out on a motorcycle ride and went past the Long Trail brewery. At a welcome center I picked up a Craft Beer guide for Vermont listing many breweries with some info on their beers, hours, tours and food. And there was a large map foldout that showed them all, many were clustered in the NW part of the state near Burlington. I believe this Vermont Brewer's Association site was behind that brochure.

http://www.vermontbrewers.com/

I've seen some reviews that claim The Alchemist makes some of the best beers going. Never had one

Magic Hat is good. The Long Trail and Otter Creek I have gotten here in PA have been meh. Never realized Harpoon was from VT

Heady Topper from The Alchemist is one of the best IPAs out there

We liked it so much we tried brewing a clone of it. Wasn't nearly as good and since we didn't really have a decent filter, there was way too much sediment in the bottles. Our second double we've tried brewing. Was more successful then the first but still not saying much. They are a beast to get right (and not damage your equipment with all the gunk.)

• 3 weeks later...

Heady Topper from The Alchemist is one of the best IPAs out there

Can't argue with that - also was able to have some Lawson's Sip of Sunshine and Neshaminy Creek Shape of Hops to Come on tap in the past few months too - also outstanding.

Friend gave me a 3 Floyds Zombie Dust - was very good but not up to the hype I expected.

Been drinking a lot of good/very good IPAs over the past few months - hard to keep them all apart.

Just kicked a sixtel of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed and put on Fat Tire Head Hunter IPA last week.

Anyone else using the Untappd app?

I'm on untappd

FatHead's Head Hunter is excellent as well and brewed right here.

I had Sip of Sunshine and thought it was good.

Zombie Dust is good but it will never live up to the hype.

Try trading for some Hoof Hearted, they are doing the NE style IPA (cloudy) and people really like it or hate it. From near Columbus

Not sure if it's been mentioned here before, but the Kona Big Wave is the perfect hot-weather post-golfing beer. Very refreshing with a pineapple finish.

One of my favorite kick back and relax beers.

In fact, as I just bought a new BBQ yesterday (being delivered tomorrow), I plan on picking up a six pack of this and finding time to break in the new BBQ with some NY steaks and grilled veggies.