[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beer & Microbrew thread

keggerz

I've tried the whole room temperature thing with a few beers upon suggestion of proper serving technique...never did enough to the taste compared to chilled for me to say "yeah, let's not put it in the fridge". Maybe an acquired taste type thing, but I'm no fan of it in general

A lot of the Belgian Ales I drink taste much, much better at the proper serving temp. If it's too cold you don't catch all the subtleties and the flavor just isn't there as a result.

Had a couple interesting ones this past weekend, a gift from a friend whose son works at Akron's Thirsty Dog Brewery.

- Citra Dog American IPA - very strong grapefuit taste, not bad but a little too fruity for me

- Hoppus Maximus - I liked this one, not too strong

Heading to Fat Head's Brewery (North Olmsted OH) with some friends on Saturday, they're big craft beer drinkers and I'll see about trying some new flavors/styles. So far some of the ones I've tried and liked

Trail Head Pale Ale

Starlight Lager - German Style lager

Goggle Fogger - German Style Hefe-Weizen

One of their most popular for sale in stores is Bumble Berry a honey/blueberry ale, just cannot get into so much fruit taste in my beer.

Oh and I'm definitely looking forward to some dry rub wings and one of their monster sandwiches or other fine food.

I love, love, love Fat Head's. I was just there on Sunday and had a Shakedown Stout and the Alpenglow. Since you liked Goggle Fogger, you have to try Alpenglow.

I also had the Fat Italian as I'm on a quest to find the best Hot Italian sandwich I can find. Loved it. Don't make the mistake and order the smokehuse wings, those are the full wing and 12 will actually be 24 once you break them apart.

Thanks loaf, I'll give the Alpenglow a try.

I think last time I had small order (3-4) dry rub wings to tie me over until dinner (no lunch). Then later I had a sandwich which was huge. Another time I was there with family and the manager (Ted) who we know sent over some appetizer for us to try. So we waited to order our food, I think only one person in our group of 5 was able to finish what they ordered. I had the the brisket sandwich that time, and took about half of it home for lunch the next day, they really are as big as the manager's head.

A friend of mine from New Phily is joining me and I sent him a link to their menu to wet his appetite, he loved the beer selection but wondered who was going to drive home :)

What's everyone drinking today?

I got

Stone Enjoy By 2-14-2015 IPA

Stone Green Tea IPA

couple White Rajah's IPA from The Brew Kettle here

Shakedown Stout from Fat Head's

Six Point Hi Res double IPA

Jackie O's (Athens OH) Rum Barrel Aged Oil Of Aphrodite Imperial Stout

I brought who knows how old PBRs on the golf outting yesterday, not sure I wanna drink beer tonight after that...do have some Goose Island 312 and Magic Hat #9 if I so choose

loaf,

Thanks for the recommendation on the Alpenglow it was good. I also had (in order) Starlight Lager, Alpenglow, Goggle Fogger, Trail Head Pale Ale, Head Hunter IPA. Trail Head is still one of my favorites from and one of the Pale Ales I'll drink at home regularly. The friend I took from New Phily took a growler home to drink during the SB. He loved the place.

Had a Codfather headwich (for those who've never been, sandwichs are the size of a head) and some dry rub wings before that. Half that sandwich and the home made chips were lunch before the SB.

Speaking of the SB I was drinking New Belgium Fat Tire & Ranger IPA, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Love Alpenglow. Wish it would be bottled.

And that is one thing that really irritates me about most of the local breweries, they offer very few options in bottles for sale. Great Lakes is one of the few (and they're huge compared to the others) that have more than a few. Thirsty Dog is starting to offer more. Maybe I need to seek out a beer/beverage store, though my local Giant Eagle has a good selection including many I've never heard of or tried.

Bottling/canning takes a ton more space than your average local brewery has. Fat Head's opened up a new brewing facility in Middleburgh Heights which is why we're seeing more from them. I know the West Point Market has a great beer selection. Lizardville in

Copley too. Any Market District from Giant Eagle or Whole Foods also have great beer selections.

• Like 1

Stoudts Brewery- Belsnickel Lager- decent for winter brew, fruit and spices wasn't obnoxious, very drinkable. I had 2 champagne bottles of it that I got at the brewery and it was a little flat for my taste. Could have had a bit more carbonation but then it may have been like a soda. Otherwise I liked it, the ginger was just right

from their website

This dark rich full bodied lager is perfect to help warm you on those cold winter nights. Subtle hints of plum, raisin, ginger and cinnamon creep through the dark malt character from the use of natural flavorings and extracts during the brewing process. Moderate amounts of noble hops are used to give it just a hint of extra spiciness which helps round off the beer. On tap in the pub while supplies last.

Victory Earth & Flame:

Bourbon barrel aged scotch ale. Perfect. I have had some of these novelty beers before and sometimes the bourbon is too much or the beer is not good. This is very drinkable. Makes you nice and warm. Probably can't drink too many either....

http://www.victorybeer.com/news/victory-brewing-company-collaborates-earth-bread-brewery-create-original-bourbon-barrel-aged-scotch-ale/

Stone Brewing- Lukcy Basartd Ale (no not a typo)\

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/lukcybasartd/default.asp

A dry-hopped blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale

I love all their beer. No exception here. Only issue is my wife bought me a case and I have to "drink it now". LOL

• Like 1