[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beer & Microbrew thread

keggerz

I thought Pliny was famously also distributed to the Philly area?

nope, PA is regulated statewide and rarely available. It has popped up at beer events but usually by the keg. Pretty sporadic on the east coast as a whole in my experience

Brewing a dubbel tomorrow. First time adding honey in, so I'm hoping it will be a good batch and ready by draft day. :brew:

Honey should give a nice bump to the ABV... or so I've been told by friends who brew.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on a small but expensive buying spree on Sunday.

Found this Sour in a 12.7 oz bottle:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22893/173869/

Got this from Rivertown in Cinci:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22157/84292/

but I don't remember mine being barrel aged. It may be.

I bought one of these for a good time:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14879/57110/

and I also got a Three Floyds Zombie Dust 12 oz

Not as adventurous as some of you, but I am very happy that Sam Adams Summer Ale is back. Anyone suggest anything similar to that or like Breck's Avalanche Ale that I would like?

I just can't enjoy a dark beer or a sweet beer or an IPA.

Not as adventurous as some of you, but I am very happy that Sam Adams Summer Ale is back. Anyone suggest anything similar to that or like Breck's Avalanche Ale that I would like?

Fat Tire?

Left Hand Brewing had some stuff on par with Sam Adams IMO

Maybe try any seasonal Kolsh. Maybe pilsners or pale or American Ales. That's what I feed my neighbors who are Yuengling and Sam Adams drinkers

Edited by Zooty

Goose Island does a pretty good Summer Ale too.

http://www.evilgeniusbeer.com/current.html

Evil Genius Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter. Yuck. Not even close to the offering from Terrapin or Sweet Baby Jesus. From a bottle- Kind of flat tasting, very little chocolate or PB flavor. The name was the best part, Chocolate Monkey Dishwasher. More like dishwater.

Looked at reviews on BA and people generally liked it. Ehhh, maybe the bottle I got had been sitting

I'll probably try some of their other stuff since they are local but not promising so far.

I know this isn't an IPA or super trendy beer/microbrew, but my go to for a hot day (or night) is quickly becoming Kona Big Wave Golden Ale.

Fairly low ABV at I believe 4.7%, but tastes good to me. Even more so after running practices outdoor or while grilling some burgers/dogs/steaks.

Oktoberfest hasn't officially started, but the brews are in the stores now. We usually have an Oktoberfest Bracket in September with 16 different marzens/octoberfests.

Leinenkugel, Yuengling, Sam Adams & Shiner were the breweries whose offerings made it to the final 4 last year.

What's YOUR favorite marzen?

Try the Oktoberfest from Great Lakes Brewing Company if it makes it down to you

Also a good one. I really like their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter too.

ETA: fixed spelling

Edited by DisplacedMercs

I know this isn't an IPA or super trendy beer/microbrew, but my go to for a hot day (or night) is quickly becoming Kona Big Wave Golden Ale.

Fairly low ABV at I believe 4.7%, but tastes good to me. Even more so after running practices outdoor or while grilling some burgers/dogs/steaks.

i typically have my germans and belgians in the fridge, but in the summer i also have either pacifico or kona's longboard lager in there.

in jan we went to the big island and my bier rep took care of us at kona brewing. they had some good stuff we cannot buy stateside.

Edited by Bier Meister

• 2 weeks later...

Oktoberfest hasn't officially started, but the brews are in the stores now. We usually have an Oktoberfest Bracket in September with 16 different marzens/octoberfests.

Leinenkugel, Yuengling, Sam Adams & Shiner were the breweries whose offerings made it to the final 4 last year.

What's YOUR favorite marzen?

Seems way too early for Octoberfest beers. I've liked Leinenkugel, I usually try 6-10 every season.

I just bought Pirate Noir from Prairie Artisan Ales. Rum barrel aged imperial stout. Can't wait to try it.

Also got the 7th Planet in the Bell's Planet series, Neptune. I've been pretty underwhelmed by the series save for a couple. This one has rave reviews though. It's a stout with peppers and dates and raisins and maple syrup and other ingredients...probably going to be a draft night drinker

Seems way too early for Octoberfest beers. I've liked Leinenkugel, I usually try 6-10 every season.

They usually show up in August. Octoberfest ends in early October, so getting an early start here in the US is fine by me,

On the dot of 12 noon on Saturday, September 19th, Munich’s mayor Dieter Reiter will tap the first barrel thus declaring the "Wiesn“ - as the Munich people call it – officially open. The festivities continue until Sunday, October 4th, 2015

Next Thursday one of our local spots is having a Russian River night...... tapping at least 4 of their brews, but have not announced which ones. I have a dinner meeting elsewhere at 7, so hoping that it doesn't run too late so I can get over there and squeeze in for a couple pours.

• Like 1