[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garrett signs 5 year extension.

Tripleshot

Seriously, I mean their D wasn't great... but it was better, and he did things with virtual nobodies. Rookies, also-rans, etc. If they can bring in a playmaker or 2, that D can improve a LOT.

It definitely wasn't great. But it was a lot better and the guys played hard every time I saw them play. Swarmed to the ball. Had the 'attitude' I want to see in a defense. And you make a good point, no one heard of a lot of these guys before this season

Unreal another 5 years of this clown

Just cause he has red hair... that's not right.

Edited by irish

SB nation is reporting that Jason Garrett signed a 5 year extension. Good news for Cowboys fans.

Hmmm, so do Dallas fans think Garrett is a clown (he's 10 games over .500, but he was 8 games over this year and an uninspiring 29-27 in his first 3 1/2 yrs), or was he making something resembling chicken salad out of a chicken mess roster? I mean, all credit to Jones for building a top tier offense, but he's been known to kneecap his own team with stupid contracts.

Marinelli is all but a lock to be in Tampa.

Good move and shows how patience is a great trait for organizations to have.

From Rotoworld

Cowboys re-signed DC Rod Marinelli.

Marinelli let word leak that he was interested in reuniting with Lovie Smith in Tampa, and it prompted a swift, decisive effort from the Cowboys to lock him up. Retaining Marinelli was a must for the Cowboys after he helped turn a historically-bad unit into a competent one. Dallas allowed 6,645 yards and 432 points in 2013. Marinelli helped slash those numbers to 5,681 and 352, respectively. Marinelli's main task for 2015 will be goosing a pass rush that generated only 28 sacks this season, though the onus for that is more on owner/GM Jerry Jones, who must upgrade his defensive personnel.

Related: Buccaneers

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 13 - 5:08 PM

From Rotoworld

Cowboys re-signed DC Rod Marinelli.

Marinelli let word leak that he was interested in reuniting with Lovie Smith in Tampa, and it prompted a swift, decisive effort from the Cowboys to lock him up. Retaining Marinelli was a must for the Cowboys after he helped turn a historically-bad unit into a competent one. Dallas allowed 6,645 yards and 432 points in 2013. Marinelli helped slash those numbers to 5,681 and 352, respectively. Marinelli's main task for 2015 will be goosing a pass rush that generated only 28 sacks this season, though the onus for that is more on owner/GM Jerry Jones, who must upgrade his defensive personnel.

Related: Buccaneers

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 13 - 5:08 PM

I saw that. Cowboys site still says they are "close"

you have a better choice that's available in mind?

Can't say I do, but seems like a bit of money and a lot of time (5 years?) for a HC that was basically neutered coming into this season. The man seems to have minimal game day duties. Not saying get rid of him, just expected a little more modest contract (especially in terms of length) for a coach that doesn't appear to bring much to the team.

it's a known fact that jerrah's (and danny-boy snyder's) checks are as big as their egos...no offense to the DAL faithful, but everybody knows garret is jerrah's puppet, so if he wants to pay him that much, i say carpe diem! i didn't read any of the contract details - is it all guaranteed (as snyder's HC contracts tend to be)? not a bad extension, imo...

Edited by the outlaw

Can't say I do, but seems like a bit of money and a lot of time (5 years?) for a HC that was basically neutered coming into this season. The man seems to have minimal game day duties. Not saying get rid of him, just expected a little more modest contract (especially in terms of length) for a coach that doesn't appear to bring much to the team.

Idk. He inherited crap. Lately Jerry has drafted OK, especially building the line through the draft. Dallas' writers say that Garrett has been a big part of Jerry drafting that way and not blowing as much cap space on high $ free agents that are past their prime. Whether any of that is true idk, but it seems to be. The players seem to love him too. It is kinda funny though that he goes from being a lame duck this season to someone the fans are happy to see extended for 5 yrs. These are the times we live in though...what have you done for me lately and 1 bad yr you're gone..

Idk. He inherited crap. Lately Jerry has drafted OK, especially building the line through the draft. Dallas' writers say that Garrett has been a big part of Jerry drafting that way and not blowing as much cap space on high $ free agents that are past their prime. Whether any of that is true idk, but it seems to be. The players seem to love him too. It is kinda funny though that he goes from being a lame duck this season to someone the fans are happy to see extended for 5 yrs. These are the times we live in though...what have you done for me lately and 1 bad yr you're gone..

In some cases multiple good years and you're gone (or walk), see Jim Harbaugh and John Fox.