[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Theories and approaches to Rookie Draft picks...

sksmith

What is your valuation for rookie draft picks when looking at trades (meaning you give up the pick for something)?

Clearly team needs vs draft position are key factors, as well as current draft class. Let's use my situation for example: pick 1.05 in a 16-team/IDP league. Getting some specific A for B offers and some open ended "who do you like" offers.

Curious as to how valuable you view such a pick and what/who you'd be willing to take (and also give, we can look at it from that angle, too) in exchange...I'm not sure I'll move the pick at all, but I'm interested in how others look at this situation

Lately I've been ignoring any offer that starts "What do you want for.....". If they can't just send an offer to start than truck 'em. Or I'll say that I'd take whomever their best player but be willing to work down from there.

Anyway. Doesn't answer your question but general strategy stuff could be better discussed in the main forum.

Picks vary from year to year and the weight changes drastically from 10 to 12 to 16 team leagues and more so when you add IDP (and consider starters on D as well).

In a vacuum hard to say what I would weigh 1.05 but in a 16 team/ IDP league I'd say pretty valuable. Price will go up as we get closer to the draft and peak the day your draft starts. Unless the combine and draft process this year is a bust and the rookie crop is poor. Lots of moving parts to consider

I use startup dynasty ADP/mocks/drafts to establish baseline value then apply personal preference. Last May Sammy Watkins was going for around #30 in startups, which put the 1.01 pick in the range of Luck/Ball/Stacy/Garcon, for example. I personally didn't have Watkins #1, but being the first rookie off most boards established the value pretty solidly.

In terms of "what do you want" I generally respond with what pieces I need, not necessarily names. I might say "I need a better starting QB and a solid flex-caliber RB to replace Ellington" for example. Even worse than "what do you want" is the "make me an offer" comeback. Talk about wasting time. Ok, I'll offer you a QB you have no interest in (not that I know that) and a RB you have as the highest bust factor in the draft (but you've been posing in the other league that you like so you can trade him off). What's that? You'll pass with no counter? Super, thanks. Sometimes the what do you want is just fishing for a lowball price, but usually it's done to establish a baseline value.

Edited by flemingd

Well generally if I'm the team looking to acquire a guy I will make some sort of offer and throw some names out.

Very tiring with guys who want player X from you but are completely unwilling to even throw out a couple names they would part with to get the player they apparently covet since they are the ones that contacted me. :hscratch:

If it's out of the blue, yeah that's probably a fair expectation. I was more referring to when people put up posts with OTB list or WTS X player, then won't give an idea what they are looking for.

of course as soon as you see a name on a OTB list you have a though in your mind of what you'd be willing to give

Most of the "what do you want" offers have been fully vague (no mention of players willing to swap), so I typically respond w/ going directly for their top player...those that actually want to bargain will come back and start using names, the others disappear...currently haven't heard back from the TY Hilton owner

Is it a little too early to have a good valuation of such a pick? In other words, because the draft itself is so far away the so called prime players for early round pickups aren't fully set in stone. Is moving too early a bit of a case of selling yourself short at this point, meaning you take a WR2 now but could have graduated to a borderline WR1/2 by waiting for the mock drafts to start showing up?

To my personal situation, the opportunity for J Landry/B Cooks/T Kelce for my pick are current serious potentials (individually, obviously)