[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Harbaugh recruiting for Michigan

Savage Beatings

Everyone seems to be of the opinion that Jim Harbaugh will bring in a ton of top talent to Michigan now (at least that's the majority opinion of the local MN sports professionals). I'm wondering though... does anyone think that this could backfire, and kids will actually avoid Michigan now because they don't want to play for a dick? :shrug:

He's at one of the most storied programs in college football history. He's an alum. He's been a successful NFL coach and player. Kids are gonna flock to play at Michigan. I wouldn't be surprised if they increase their blue chip recruits by a whopping margin.

• Like 1

There is also the entirely different dynamic between player and coach in college vs pro. In college the coach is more of an authority figure and you either buy in or get out as a player.

The coach also doesn't have a bunch of front office suits telling him how to run the team. Sure, there is input from the administration and prominent boosters, but in terms of 'football' decisions, the HC is essentially God.

In many ways it can really benefit a college program to have an eccentric or polarizing HC because he can create a sort of 'cult'ture that can gain a momentum of its own.

The more i think about it, I actually think a college HC gig suits Harbaugh better than an NFL HC gig.

• Like 1

Thought I'd do a little research on this. Michigan has 6 players that have committed so far. 3 are blue chips. After Harbaugh signed on, the #1/4/5/6DE,#1DT,#1/#2/#3CB,#1/#4OLB,#2/#4ILB,#1RB,#1/2/3WR and #1QB have all been offered scholarships and have either scheduled visits or finished visits and are considering. That's a GIGANTIC leap for the recruiting class. If HALF of those blue chips commit, Michigan scores big time. And this is within a very short time period for Harbaugh. Give that dude a full season and watch out.

• Like 1

The Harbaugh vs Myer rivalry could become pretty epic pretty fast

That was one of my first thoughts when he came to Michigan. The OSU-Michigan rivalry may become interesting again! All of this at the expense of my poor Huskers.... :(

As a Michigan State fan, I can say that this news does not overly excite me. To add to that, I work with several annoying Michigan fans who were terribly annoying even when they were struggling. I would like to see Michigan regain some glory but I don't know if I can put up with it from their fanbase, which is incredibly overbearing! I think he will do an amazing job, which will cause me to hate Michigan even more, not because of their success or failures, but because of their mister fans!