[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stand by for "DeflationGate"

tazinib1

After looking at the stats a bit, one thing I realized is that Tom Brady's fumble rate went way down as his career progressed. This could be damning since he and Peyton were the ones who pushed for deflated balls. Or maybe he just got better at not fumbling with more experience. Either way, my guess is if you take away Brady's fumbles, the Pats fumble rate isn't that impressive, even with Law Firm not fumbling ever in 4 years. Quarterback's fumble rates "dwarf" running back fumble rates. Here is Brady's fumbles by year:

2001: 12

2002: 11

2003: 13

2004: 7

2005: 4

2006: 12

2007: 6

2009: 4

2010: 3

2011: 6

2012: 2

2013: 10

2014: 6

If you think about it, there's no way how much the ball is inflated would impact a QB's fumble rate. Most of the fumbles occur on blind sided hits or when their arm is hit.

Then why was he the main instigator in the NFL rule change?? If a lower PSI doesnt matter, as some have you to believe, why such the strong push??

I was just pointing out it won't affect the QB's fumble rate. I'm sure it's helpful to some QB's in regards to gripping the ball.

I was just pointing out it won't affect the QB's fumble rate. I'm sure it's helpful to some QB's in regards to gripping the ball.

It's not a question of how he grips it. It's a question of inflation ratios. A 7.4" hand can't grip an 12.5psi football. That's my point.

• Like 3

And after it was initially reported that Colts LB Jackson who intercepted Brady "noticed the ball was underinflated and informed others" he has refuted that, and we're hearing that a member of the equipment staff noticed the ball was under inflated.

What do you base the bolded on. Say 10 years, 160 regular season games, how many turnovers per game, maybe 2, that would be 320 times a year that a Pats opponent touches the ball. Would need to be 6 turnovers a year to exceed 1000.

See the bolded part of kegz post above, opposing players would not be touching the ball that frequently, and it would be at very key points (turnovers) with huge excitement and adrenaline rushes.

Does everybody remember that part of in "A Few Good Men" where they're talking about Col. Jessup "You think he's going to just tell you he issued the code red?" "I think he wants to tell you." This is how I see BB, he'd love to tell the media and the NFL "You're damn straight I ordeded those balls deflated! You realize how many fewer turnovers you get when you do that? I don't care what you panzies and your rules say. Am I done here?"

They will touch the balls way more than just on turnovers. Turnovers are going to be less than half of TBT (total ball touches) from the other team per game on average. We could extrapolate TBT over a 10 year period at 9.914 TBTPG and see that it is well over 1000.

BTW not a single person has mentioned how the Falcons have been using artificial crown noise for the last two years and got in trouble for it. They aren't the Patriots, and they aren't winning, so no one cares.

Edited by coordi88

They will touch the balls way more than just on turnovers. Turnovers are going to be less than half of TBT (total ball touches) from the other team per game on average. We could extrapolate TBT over a 10 year period at 9.914 TBTPG and see that it is well over 1000.

BTW not a single person has mentioned how the Falcons have been using artificial crown noise for the last two years and got in trouble for it. They aren't the Patriots, and they aren't winning, so no one cares.

Just saw something about that and if they are guilty then they do deserve to be punished.

There was an investigation where they were found guilty of multiple years of cheating. Compared to what happend with #deflategate where there was nothing but accusations that exploded all over the place.

This is what I read a couple hours ago; story posted today.

The Atlanta Falcons are reportedly under investigation for creating artificial crowd noise during home games, an offense that could result in the loss of a draft pick should the NFL find them guilty.

ESPN's Adam Schefter broke the news, citing a source who said "the tactics originated from the Falcons' game operations development." The investigation covers the last two seasons.

The offense is expected to result in discipline, with the Falcons being fined and quite possibly losing a draft choice, according to sources.

"We were informed during the season that the league office is looking into crowd noise during our games," a Falcons team spokesman said. "We have cooperated fully with them, and we're awaiting the outcome."

Ive seen multiple reports that make it look like they are guilty, but its not finalized. The point was, there was a big investigation, there wasn't a huge news release where the NFL fueled the flames, and this is essentially a minor footnote.

You wont see anyone analyzing the last couple years worth of statistics to find the edge this gave the Falcons

Edited by coordi88

The offense is expected to result in discipline, with the Falcons being fined and quite possibly losing a draft choice, according to sources.

"We were informed during the season that the league office is looking into crowd noise during our games," a Falcons team spokesman said. "We have cooperated fully with them, and we're awaiting the outcome."

Ive seen multiple reports that make it look like they are guilty, but its not finalized. The point was, there was a big investigation, there wasn't a huge news release where the NFL fueled the flames, and this is essentially a minor footnote.

You wont see anyone analyzing the last couple years worth of statistics to find the edge this gave the Falcons

I looked and found that they are 6-10 at home the past two years (3-5 each year). That was enough for me to not need to look any further. If they were cheating they weren't good at it or it didn't provide much of an advantage based on that record. However, if they are found guilty they need to be punished.
  • Like 1

Just wondering - has anyone seen this story mentioned on ESPN or their site? It's from nfl.com - and I've seen SI and profootball talk mention it - but I've missed any talk or coverage of it on ESPN.

Someone's NFL's source is pretty far off base here. Rapoport's saying he's been told that only 1 ball was 2PSI under / I'm pretty sure the initial reports from ESPN (Mort?) were that 11 of the 12 balls were 2 PSI under.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466783/article/more-details-on-the-investigation-of-patriots-deflated-footballs

We'll need to wait for the Wells' report to actually know what the NFL has figured out. Somehow I doubt we'll get answers that anyone feels is complete.

Just wondering - has anyone seen this story mentioned on ESPN or their site? It's from nfl.com - and I've seen SI and profootball talk mention it - but I've missed any talk or coverage of it on ESPN.

Someone's NFL's source is pretty far off base here. Rapoport's saying he's been told that only 1 ball was 2PSI under / I'm pretty sure the initial reports from ESPN (Mort?) were that 11 of the 12 balls were 2 PSI under.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466783/article/more-details-on-the-investigation-of-patriots-deflated-footballs

We'll need to wait for the Wells' report to actually know what the NFL has figured out. Somehow I doubt we'll get answers that anyone feels is complete.

there were reports everywhere last wk saying only 1 was that far under

The NFL has already stated 11 balls were 2lbs psi deflated.

Where has the NFL stated that? Do you have a link? Because I think it is just people reporting this with some unnamed (and untrustworthy) source.

What I last read/heard was that NFL head of officials Blandino "let it slip" last week in AZ during some interview before the SB that only 1 of the 11 balls was 2 PSI low, the other ere less. Rumors now say that the one ball 2PSI low was the one that DQ Jackson picked off and turned over to Colts staff (then conspiracy theorists say that the Colts took more air out).

There's also this article which apparently is meant as satire, but includes some of those facts and other theories/speculation. Personally I think the author is a biased hack and a moron. (Just because Kraft demands and apology that means they didn't do anything wrong.)

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/05/hurley-failed-deflategate-accusations-means-its-time-for-irsay-pagano-to-be-banned-from-nfl/

The real problem is the NFL has not said anything about this. Then some report has an unnamed source, reports something and it is reported (copy & paste journalism) over and over and soon it becomes fact.

• Like 2