[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerome Bettis Makes The Hall Of Fame

Menudo

I've always said that my first trip to the Hall of Fame would be when Bettis gets inducted. He is one of my all-time favorite Steelers.

I've heard people say that he was just a stats accumulator. However, this is one of the things I find most impressive about Bettis' career. Most big backs like him don't have long careers. The only other "big" back that had a career as long as Bettis was Riggins. However, in 11 years, Bettis had about 550 carries more than Riggins did over 13 years. Most of the other successful big backs didn't last very long. Ear Campbell, considered the best of the bruising backs, only lasted 8 years and a tad over 2,000 carries.

The thing I found most impressive about Bettis was the way he could finish a game. I didn't realize what we had until it was gone. The Steelers would get a lead and truly barely pass and sometimes not pass at all in the 2nd half. The other team would have 10 in the box and Bettis would still churn out first downs. He was always much better in the 3rd and 4th quarter as he was in the 1st half. He would simply wear guys down.

The guy also had an ability or a determination to play through pain. I read his book, and in the last several years of his career, he couldn't walk during the days after games. He would go down his stairs on his butt. However, he would be suited up and ready to go. I also remember that there were several times when Steeler fans, including myself though he was washed up and ready to retire, only to be proven wrong by him time and time again.

The guy is also a class act. I'm extremely proud that he is getting inducted and I'm looking forward to my first trip to Canton !

This is my favorite Bettis picture and one of my favorite moments. This was during the 2005 Steelers, when they had to win out to make the playoffs, prior to winning the Super Bowl as the #6 seed. Bettis ran over Urlacher in the snow on his way to the end zone. It was a great win and a great picture.

http://www.tseshop.com/assets/images/bettisoverurlachervertical.jpg

P.S. He was also the namesake for my wife and I's first dog, which can be seen in my signature.

Edited by Menudo
  • Like 1

Jerome Bettis over Marvin Harrison is a JOKE!!!!

Rushing Yards: Bettis 6th all time

Receiving Yards: Harrison 7th all time

Rushing Attempts Bettis 4th all time

Receptions: Harrison 3rd all time

Rushing TD: Bettis tied for 10th all time

Receiving TD: Harrison 5th all time

Total TD: Bettis tied for 24th (94)

Total TD: Harrison 9th (128)

Rushing yards per game: Bettis 39th all time

Receiving yards per game: Harrison 8th all time

Harrison still holds an NFL record for 143 receptions in a single season.

Harrison played in two less games than Jerome Bettis.

Marvin is a first ballot HOFer. The fact he has now gone two years is ridiculous.

Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 4

Congrats to Jerome, but TD was robbed.

You can't be serious. TD being in the HOF would have been a joke.

Bettis isn't worthy either IMO (though far more than TD). We really need a "Hall of the Very Good but not quite HOF material." Bettis had what, 2 or 3 really good years? You shouldn't get in for hanging around a long time. Don't get me wrong, I liked Bettis, but not a HOFer IMO.

And yes Harrison not being a 1st ballot HOF is a joke too, but that has nothing to do w/my take on Bettis (or TD).

PS on a better note, Tim Brown FINALLY gets in. If Harrison had to get skipped so he could, I'd be fine with Harrison waiting another year...but that wasn't necessary. Oh well

Edited by BeeR

You can't be serious. TD being in the HOF would have been a joke.

Yeah...because putting the most dominant playoff RB ever into the HOF is silly.

Dude averaged 142 ypg over 8 playoff games. Over 100 yds in every game but one. At least one TD in every game except the SB blowout win over ATL. Super Bowl MVP. League MVP. Yeah, just crazy to put him in.

Gimme a trucking break.

Edited by BA Baracus
  • Like 1

I love the Bus but no way is he a HOF player. Definition of accumulator. YPC was way subpar for HOF. Shaun Alexander was a better player. The Bus was really never considered elite at his position. Maybe for a year or two. This is stupid. We need to get to a point where a guy or two get in the hall every year, otherwise there are going to be hundreds of guys in the hall soon, too many of whom will not be truly elite.

I may be biased...but he was in the top ten of yards amassed when stopping the run was the point of the defense. His qbs were subpar for the most part and they often relied on him in the 4th to win the game because of that. All other top 10 rbs are in the hall of fame except LT and I am sure he makes it. Comparing him to other positions is silly.

I go by the "dominance" idea - was this guy one where you look at his career and say "man, he was one of the 2-3 best at his position for FIVE years"

I count Bettis as being a dominant RB for 3 yrs. And not consecutively. Doesn't belong for on-field performance, IMO. Menudo should be butthurt mainly because they're putting the wrong Steeler players in.

If I had to pick out someone who didn't get in that really SHOULD have, I'd say Pace got robbed. Haley is borderline - by which I mean I can see not putting him in, but I have no quibble with him getting in.

Jerome Bettis over Marvin Harrison is a JOKE!!!!

Rushing Yards: Bettis 6th all time

Receiving Yards: Harrison 7th all time

Rushing Attempts Bettis 4th all time

Receptions: Harrison 3rd all time

Rushing TD: Bettis tied for 10th all time

Receiving TD: Harrison 5th all time

Total TD: Bettis tied for 24th (94)

Total TD: Harrison 9th (128)

Rushing yards per game: Bettis 39th all time

Receiving yards per game: Harrison 8th all time

Harrison still holds an NFL record for 143 receptions in a single season.

Harrison played in two less games than Jerome Bettis.

Marvin is a first ballot HOFer. The fact he has now gone two years is ridiculous.

Involved in a shooting after football career-

Marvin -1

Jerome-0

Involved in a shooting after football career-

Marvin -1

Jerome-0

relevance to a HoF career?

0.00%

Friendly with the media and all over TV on Sundays with an announcing gig?- 50% increase in votes

• Like 2

agree with this.

You don't think any voters would skip over Marvin because of the the shooting accusations?

would or should?

NFL unlike MLB is supposed to be about on the field only right? I agree that they do hold it against him but they shouldn't. You saw how long they held Haley out

I'm just happy one of my favorites got in. Whether others agree doesn't really matter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Longevity definitely helped, but, I still say that longevity for a big back like him is part of what made him special.

You guys can't rain on my parade. :) I'm anxious for my first trip to Canton in early August. It will be an awesome trip to take my son too. :tup:

Tim Brown played 65 MORE GAMES than Marvin Harrison.

Marvin has more receptions, TD's, and yards per game.

Not that you're capable of a rational discussion on the topic, but Brown played zero games with anyone anywhere near Manning's level. Brown was equally deserving of Harrison getting in, and was a few years ahead of him. It was a travesty when he got passed over for some of the donkeys he did, as much or more than Harrison's wait has been.

• Like 1

I'm just happy one of my favorites got in. Whether others agree doesn't really matter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Longevity definitely helped, but, I still say that longevity for a big back like him is part of what made him special.

You guys can't rain on my parade. :) I'm anxious for my first trip to Canton in early August. It will be an awesome trip to take my son too. :tup:

You will LOVE it. It's not a place that you can go to over and over again. Kinda like the Rock Hall. But it should be on everyone's bucket list that posts here.

Not that you're capable of a rational discussion on the topic, but Brown played zero games with anyone anywhere near Manning's level. Brown was equally deserving of Harrison getting in, and was a few years ahead of him. It was a travesty when he got passed over for some of the donkeys he did, as much or more than Harrison's wait has been.

If you honestly would take Tim Brown over Marvin Harrison, we have nothing more to talk about. I'm willing to bet most wouldn't.

In back-to-back years, Marvin has been passed over for Andre Reed and Tim Brown. He was better than both. His numbers are better than both. Is it about the best players getting in? Or waiting your turn?

Edited by CaptainHook

You will LOVE it. It's not a place that you can go to over and over again. Kinda like the Rock Hall. But it should be on everyone's bucket list that posts here.

Yep. One thing I will note, it while you can't go over and over again, you also can't get it all in in one trip. Physically you can, that's not the problem, but there is just so much you can take in. I took two nephews last summer and came out thinking how little I actually got to immerse into it. I'll be going back in August with a couple more in tow and hoping to retain some more.