[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerome Bettis Makes The Hall Of Fame

Menudo

If you honestly would take Tim Brown over Marvin Harrison, we have nothing more to talk about. I'm willing to bet most wouldn't.

Just for kicks sake I think Tim Brown did more with less. Harrison may have had the most prolific passer of all time throwing to him, someone had to gain. TB worked with Gannon, Hostetler, Schroeder, George none of which are going to make the hall of fame (i think). When push comes to shove if someone looked up the stats on yards per season vs yards per that receiver I bet it was close. In all honesty both will be in one day, but TB definitely deserves it.

Just for kicks sake I think Tim Brown did more with less. Harrison may have had the most prolific passer of all time throwing to him, someone had to gain. TB worked with Gannon, Hostetler, Schroeder, George none of which are going to make the hall of fame (i think). When push comes to shove if someone looked up the stats on yards per season vs yards per that receiver I bet it was close. In all honesty both will be in one day, but TB definitely deserves it.

Some sort of comparison of each WR's YPT and their QB's overall AYA could potentially be interesting.

Marvin Harrison had 137 catches for 1702 yards and 14 TD's in his first two seasons with Jim Harbaugh, Paul Justin, Kerwin Bell, and Kelly Holcomb throwing the ball.

Tim Brown did not eclipse those numbers until his fifth year in the league.

Jerome Bettis over Marvin Harrison is a JOKE!!!!

Rushing Yards: Bettis 6th all time

Receiving Yards: Harrison 7th all time

Rushing Attempts Bettis 4th all time

Receptions: Harrison 3rd all time

Rushing TD: Bettis tied for 10th all time

Receiving TD: Harrison 5th all time

Total TD: Bettis tied for 24th (94)

Total TD: Harrison 9th (128)

Rushing yards per game: Bettis 39th all time

Receiving yards per game: Harrison 8th all time

Harrison still holds an NFL record for 143 receptions in a single season.

Harrison played in two less games than Jerome Bettis.

Marvin is a first ballot HOFer. The fact he has now gone two years is ridiculous.

This

its basically criminal that Harrison is not in Hall yet

and if only choir boys got in ( after their careers ) , i have no idea how Lawrence Taylor got in

If you honestly would take Tim Brown over Marvin Harrison, we have nothing more to talk about. I'm willing to bet most wouldn't.

In back-to-back years, Marvin has been passed over for Andre Reed and Tim Brown. He was better than both. His numbers are better than both. Is it about the best players getting in? Or waiting your turn?

THIS

Receptions

Harrison 1,102 (3rd all time)

Brown 1,094 (5)

Reed 951 (12)

Receiving Yards

Brown 14,934 (6)

Harrison 14,580 (7)

Reed 13,198 (15)

Receiving TD

Harrison 128 (5)

Brown 100 (T7)

Reed 87 (14)

Games

Brown 255

Reed 234

Harrison 190

I'm just happy one of my favorites got in. Whether others agree doesn't really matter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Longevity definitely helped, but, I still say that longevity for a big back like him is part of what made him special.

You guys can't rain on my parade. :) I'm anxious for my first trip to Canton in early August. It will be an awesome trip to take my son too. :tup:

Steeler fans are not allowed to enter Ohio to visit the Pro Football HOF ;) Coming for the induction ceremony will be cool, but I wonder how well you get to see the HOF while there (huge crowds).

Enjoy your visit when you go. For the huge football and Steeler fan you are (and their many years of success) I'm very surprised you've never gone before. I haven't been in about 7 years, and believe they've made some major renovations again since then.

Like others I don't think he deserved to be in. He was not really a dominant player. I saw Football Life Terrell Davis on NFLN a while back, the guy was a beast and the primary reason for the Broncos SB titles (Elway had 3 tries before that and failed). Only an injury cut short his great career. Shame that some guys don't make it becaue of that while others make it because they managed to stay healthy. I also believe that the voters definitely let their personal bias play a role, guys like Bettis get extra points while Haley, Newton and others get negative points.

In back-to-back years, Marvin has been passed over for Andre Reed and Tim Brown. He was better than both. His numbers are better than both. Is it about the best players getting in? Or waiting your turn?

Sometimes it is about waiting your turn. Look at how long Art Monk waited.

What about Jerry Kramer, I've heard poeple say he deserved it for a long time and didn't get in. Now the modern day OL are getting in (Pace will in time) like Shields and Jones this year. When does he get his turn. (I didn't see him play but have read a lot about how he deserves it.)

They also recently changed the rules to allow more contributors to be inducted because of a large backlog. So some players may get left off because of that.

I also agree that at some point inducing fewer players is needed otherwise it will be a glut of very good players along with the few elite. They've inducted near the max (believe it is 7 or maybe 8, but with some fixed number only for contributors and senior players) for many of the past 15 years.

Steeler fans are not allowed to enter Ohio to visit the Pro Football HOF ;) Coming for the induction ceremony will be cool, but I wonder how well you get to see the HOF while there (huge crowds).

Enjoy your visit when you go. For the huge football and Steeler fan you are (and their many years of success) I'm very surprised you've never gone before. I haven't been in about 7 years, and believe they've made some major renovations again since then.

I will definitely make a long weekend out of it so that I can see everything. I might even buck up for a VIP package that I saw advertised. I'm really looking forward to it !

As for Bettis, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If being a well respected guy helped nudge him in, that is fine with me. Like I said before, I also respect that he is the only big back to have such longevity. Most of them have very short careers. I've also never seen another guy that could hold a lead in the 2nd half and allowed the Steelers to completely take the air out of the ball. 11 in the box and he'd still get first downs.

Harrison will get in. There has been such a logjam at WR for a long time, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

So he waits. Just like the others have.

I see Harrison as probably one of the last slam-dunks at WR. Harrison, Moss, Owens....beyond that, maybe Holt, Jimmy Smith, and Rod Smith have outside shots. Fitz and Megatron of the current generation, maybe Reggie Wayne. I think that numbers-wise the "best 3" are going to be so up-and-down with the passing rules that it'll be tough to pick out the really great WRs, and it'll be tilted more towards compilers than ever before.