[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trade thoughts...

sksmith

Dynasty format w/ IDPs:

Eli Manning and Bobby Wagner for Drew Brees plus 3rd and 4th round draft picks

Contract length is identical for the QBs (3 yrs). Trading Wags would leave team LB-less, but the crop of available FA LBs is quite plentiful and a few top-15 ranked guys. The picks would be nice as team currently only has a first rounder and one player on DTS (an average safety with an assigned single year contract if/when promoted). The move for Brees would cost $2 mil in cap space, though overall available monies for upcoming FAA is pretty solid (considering freeing up more space by dropping P Garçon)

Is either side blatantly "winning", is it a wash, or is it more of a "how do you plan on building the team over the coming years?" Lack of picks and DTS players to build from has me leaning toward the trade

(no, this isn't a BoTH league)

to my eye, it's in what mode are you now? Win now, I keep bobby, does brees even get you 3 more years? I don't know how many teams in the league, do most teams have tons of cap space or are they up to their ears? (and therefore your able to buy replacements) Is scoring somewhat balanced so the thirds and forth are worth something, or just long shots in the dark?

Drew's longevity is a bit of a dilemma; and with OBJ's emergence, can Eli be less of a mouth breather than usual? It's a 16-team league, there are a couple teams with excessive cap space available, I'm in the upper end of available space, and then a lot with somewhat minimal space available.

Even with Wags I don't think win now is all that possible next season for this team, the overhaul is a year or two in the making. Scoring is pretty standard, no one position is overly favored; and looking at last year's draft the late rounds carry good value

In the end, I think Drew still outranks Eli and should do so for 2 more years...so is Wags worth 2 mid/late round picks as a means of team building? Of the available LB free agents, 14 were in the top 30 points scored for that position last season, so there is lots to choose from in that regard

If you're building a team you don't want Brees and you want to keep Wagner.

If you are a QB away from winning you make the deal.

Don't get too enamored with any RFA crop either especially when most leagues allow current owners right to first refusal. Cap space and cash doesn't guarantee that the current owner doesn't match all the great options and you end up overpaying for Demeco Ryans as your #1 LB cause he was all that was left