[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Report: Andre Johnson will be released if the Texans can't trade him.

Wolverines Fan

http://blog.chron.co...01=0&29382103=0

Receiver Andre Johnson’s exit from the Texans after 12 seasons that established him as a candidate for the Pro Football Hall of Fame could lead him to his first Super Bowl.

The Texans gave Johnson’s agent, Kennard McGuire, permission to seek a trade for one of the greatest

receivers in history. If a trade can’t be worked out, Johnson will be placed on waivers, making him an unrestricted free agent.

If money isn’t an issue, Johnson might be able to sign with a perennial Super Bowl contender like New England, Seattle, Baltimore or Denver, where Gary Kubiak is in his first season as the Broncos’ coach.

Johnson played his greatest seasons in his eight years with Kubiak.

Johnson is leaving Houston the same way he came to town –- in a first-class manner.

He sent out a message on his Instagram account on Monday night that read, “Thank you Houston for a wonderful 12 years. And a special thanks to all the fans who have supported me throughout my career.”

Fans are going to miss the familiar No. 80, who always represented the organization and the city in the best possible fashion.

As for the Texans, finding a replacement for Johnson will be the top priority in free agency or the draft.

Green Bay’s Randall Cobb and Philadelphia’s Jeremy Maclin are the top free agent receivers. For the second consecutive year, wide receiver is the strongest position in the draft.

The Texans save $8.82 million in salary cap space by trading or cutting Johnson. They’ll have about $21.9 million in cap space.

General manager Rick Smith hasn’t made a splash in free agency since 2011 when they signed cornerback Johnathan Joseph and safety Daniel Manning to improve the league’s worst secondary.

Free safety Ed Reed was a big name in 2013. But he was close to the end of his career, got hurt and was released before completing his first season – a huge bust.

Johnson, who turns 34 in July, had 85 catches for 936 yards (11-yard average) and three touchdowns last season when the Texans finished 9-7 in coach Bill O’Brien’s first season. Johnson wants to play at least two more seasons.

During a meeting with O’Brien last week, Johnson was told his role would be reduced next season.

Johnson, who’s been the featured receiver since he was the third overall selection in 2003, wasn’t interested in being the No. 2 receiver behind DeAndre Hopkins, so he asked to be traded or cut.

Those close to the situation said the two sides didn’t get around to discussing Johnson’s contract that has two years left, including a base salary of $10.5 million this season and a salary cap hit of $16.1 million. He also receives a $1 million workout bonus.

In 2016, Johnson is scheduled to receive an $11 million base salary and the $1 million workout bonus.

McGuire probably will negotiate a new deal for Johnson with his new team.

If Johnson had stayed another season in a reduced role and become the second receiver behind DeAndre Hopkins, he would have been asked to take less money. It never got that far.

After the Texans selected him from the University of Miami, Johnson became one of the most productive receivers in league history. He ranks ninth with 1,012 receptions to go with 13,597 yards and 64 touchdowns.

Last year, Johnson missed the offseason program. He wanted the Texans to guarantee his contract in 2015 to avoid his current situation. He reported to camp and led the team in receiving again, despite working with four quarterbacks.

john.mcclain@chron.com

It'll be very weird seeing him in a uniform other than the Texans'. Definitely bumps Hopkins up a little bit on some draft boards for now (although it would be much nicer if Houston had a QB).

Time moves on. 34 year old wideout has to face reality but I can understand why he would balk at the prospect of a reduced role.

But where is he going to go and be the #1 WR? Or is it ok to be a #2/3 on a team contending for a title?

His salary is a sticking point in remaining and goes away when released. There are plenty of teams mentioned above that could benefit having him and that have weak enough WRs that even a 34 year old can be the primary of sorts.

Quote on ESPN.com

"I don't know how you tell a guy who catches 85 balls that he'll only probably catch 40. I feel like the role they were trying to put me in I'd be held back from maximizing my talents. I feel like that was the best thing for both sides. Why sit there and be miserable when I can go somewhere else and be able to show my talents."

Uh, maybe because you're supposed to be a team guy first, and will do whatever it takes to help your organization win? You know, like Larry Fitzgerald has had to do for the last 5 years?

Local (Phoenix, AZ) radio - they're saying the Colts are gonna go hard after Johnson once the Texans cut him next week..

Well is he is a taller version of Reggie so I guess it makes sense...though as many have already mentioned it seems like the focus should be on other positions.

Playoff contender, sure, not Super Bowl...just me, though...and I'm a Steelers fan

Ahh makes sense now, LOL

Yeah any team that perennially makes the playoffs would be a Super Bowl contender even if they are in the same division as the yellow and black team ;)

Ahh makes sense now, LOL

Yeah any team that perennially makes the playoffs would be a Super Bowl contender even if they are in the same division as the yellow and black team ;)

Not to mention they won the SB 3 yrs ago

Quote on ESPN.com

"I don't know how you tell a guy who catches 85 balls that he'll only probably catch 40. I feel like the role they were trying to put me in I'd be held back from maximizing my talents. I feel like that was the best thing for both sides. Why sit there and be miserable when I can go somewhere else and be able to show my talents."

Uh, maybe because you're supposed to be a team guy first, and will do whatever it takes to help your organization win? You know, like Larry Fitzgerald has had to do for the last 5 years?

Except Fitz has never been told he's only going to catch 40 passes after catching 85. And he his production has not fallen off that far, last 5 years he's averaged 77 receptions (90,80,71,82,63) and his career average is 82 receptions. He has dropped off more because of poor QB play (esp. last year) than because they are using somebody else more. I think saying Johnson isn't a team guy is wrong.

Playoff contender, sure, not Super Bowl...just me, though...and I'm a Steelers fan

Its not like they are the Bengals who make the playoffs a lot but lose their first playoff game most years. Looking at the last 9 years shows they have

- won a SB

- lost twice in AFC title game

- lost 4 times in divisional round (was the first playoff once)

Surely that is more than just a playoff contender, its a playoff team over 75% of the time, and they win at least one playoff game 85% of the time they make it. Won a SB and gone to 2 conference title games 2 other times, in 9 years. That is as close to a perennial SB contender as there is. Toss in a 2nd SB and 2 more playoffs in their first 10 years of existinence, and that's pretty good. Hate it as a Browns fan, but it is the truth. Probably even better than the Steelers, who have won 2 SB in the last 10, but have also lost their opening round playoff game at least 3 times (Wild Card round). (PIT does have a SB loss and 3 more losses in conf. titles, so they are also a strong contender.)

fixed

That too, though many players restructure their deals to make it work. Johnson knows he isn't going to make $11.5M anywhere else, so he certainly had to have known we wasn't going to make it in Houston either. If he had wanted to retire a Texan, he could have.

Being a dick sealed the deal, though.