[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MFL player position designation...

I've seen mention a few times the topic of players having their position changed by MFL, specifically on the IDP side of things. This being my first year taking on that type of league setup, I'm not quite up to speed on such scenarios.

How often do such changes happen? For example, a longtime DE gets a new coordinator that switches from 4-3 to 3-4 and suddenly he's an OLB. Does that players' value change in your mind? Can you prepare for such changes (simply make sure you have enough rostered players in that position or other methods of contingency)?

yes it could be a huge issue, chandler jones, nink and hughes being a few notable de that could be moved to lb,

and from another site i visit

" I switched the positions of notable 3-4 OLBs (using Rotoworld as the position source) in a test league, to come up with some data.

The following players were switched from LB to DE:"

Suggs, Terrell BAL

Morgan, Derrick TEN

Shaughnessy, Matt ARI

Barwin, Connor PHI

Smith, Aldon SFO

Kerrigan, Ryan WAS

Dumervil, Elvis BAL

Graham, Brandon PHI

Mathis, Robert IND

Ford, Dee KCC

Brooks, Ahmad SFO

Ingram, Melvin SDC

Houston, Justin KCC

Matthews, Clay GBP

Miller, Von DEN

McPhee, Pernell CHI

Coples, Quinton NYJ

Jones, Jarvis PIT

Worilds, Jason PIT

Cole, Trent IND

Upshaw, Courtney BAL

Orakpo, Brian TEN

Pace, Calvin NYJ

Wimbley, Kamerion TEN

Mingo, Barkevious CLE

Attaochu, Jeremiah SDC

Hali, Tamba KCC

Kruger, Paul CLE

Okafor, Alex ARI

Peppers, Julius GBP

Mercilus, Whitney HOU

Clowney, Jadeveon HOU

I've seen mention a few times the topic of players having their position changed by MFL, specifically on the IDP side of things. This being my first year taking on that type of league setup, I'm not quite up to speed on such scenarios.

How often do such changes happen?

MFL updates from Rotoworld, and does a couple of imports throughout the pre-season.

For example, a longtime DE gets a new coordinator that switches from 4-3 to 3-4 and suddenly he's an OLB. Does that players' value change in your mind? Can you prepare for such changes (simply make sure you have enough rostered players in that position or other methods of contingency)?

It's heavily dependent on league scoring, but it's potentially drastic. Clowney as a LB lost all value in my leagues, because they are very tackle-heavy leagues so the typical stud DL scores 12 while the typical stud LB scores 18. Generally speaking in these leagues, 3-4 OLB are worthless and many 4-3 OLB struggle as well, especially those with heavy pass rush responsibility. They just don't get enough tackles to keep up with ILB/MLB/occasional 4-3 WLB.

A league that's more balanced IDP scoring this may be minimized. It's not just 3-4 OLB, but a lot of OLB in 4-3 suffer depending on their usage. Some of the stud OLB that get a lot of sacks would make up a lot of ground if sacks were worth more. It's very indicative that a guy like Von Miller is barely startable in my leagues based on scoring. Miller, in his best season of 2012 with an absurd 31.5 TFL and 18 sacks was just LB37 at 12.59 PPG. Kuechly and Ray Lewis were over 18 PPG.

I re-emphasize the point I made above - it's heavily dependent on league scoring. There is a ton of variance in IDP league setup, much moreso than non-IDP in my experience. Some group CB and S as DB. Some require min starters at both. Some require __ CB, __ S, and __ flex DB. Others just flex any IDP position. You need to model each position's scoring potential and weigh it against the requirements. If a league gives CB more points for tackles than S, or DT more points per sack than DL, that can have HUGE swings. Making sacks and worth an extra 2 points each and TFL 1 point each would move Miller's 2012 season to around 16.8 PPG, good for about LB8 numbers.

• Like 1

Good info, guys. Are the updates scheduled closer to start of season or just random? By the list given, it doesn't look like I'll be terribly affected on the LB side of things. However, those switching to DE could help on the DL part of the equation as I'm lacking in that department