[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Under new rule Dez still didn't make the catch

Randall

Fisher really hits that one on the head, if you're going to the ground while making a catch (which Dez was) you MUST maintain control of the ball. This is nothing new but removes the ambiguity about football moves and such.

I know some older fans don't like it because "it looks like a catch, so it should be a catch" but they felt the same way about the call that went against Calvin Johnson some years ago. They probably think the penalties called for hits are wrong. But the game is evolving, nothing new really it has been going on for some time, and will continue. If you cannot adapt to or buy into the new rules you'll always be debating that it wasn't the right call. But when your argument is "I don't care about the new rules" you're simply wrong.

Fisher really hits that one on the head, if you're going to the ground while making a catch (which Dez was) you MUST maintain control of the ball. This is nothing new but removes the ambiguity about football moves and such.

I know some older fans don't like it because "it looks like a catch, so it should be a catch" but they felt the same way about the call that went against Calvin Johnson some years ago. They probably think the penalties called for hits are wrong. But the game is evolving, nothing new really it has been going on for some time, and will continue. If you cannot adapt to or buy into the new rules you'll always be debating that it wasn't the right call. But when your argument is "I don't care about the new rules" you're simply wrong.

a game evolving for safety is one thing. a game that calls a catch and 3 steps a dropped ball is stupid. I know the correct call was made in the Cowboys game according to the rule books. Its the complete and utter stupidity of the rule I have an issue with. In my eyes its a fumble if you take 3 steps and lose the ball . Our fearless leaders have spoken though so onward we go

• Like 1

a game evolving for safety is one thing. a game that calls a catch and 3 steps a dropped ball is stupid. I know the correct call was made in the Cowboys game according to the rule books. Its the complete and utter stupidity of the rule I have an issue with. In my eyes its a fumble if you take 3 steps and lose the ball .

I don't get how anyone could argue this

You guys must not remember how Cris Carter would always catch the ball, tip toe on the sideline, and then drop it when he hit the ground. How long does he have to hold it? Two feet on the ground? 3 seconds? 5 seconds? Long enough to make a football move (ask Steeler/Polamalu fans about that one)? The rule is simple. IF YOU FALL DOWN WHILE CATCHING THE BALL YOU MUST HOLD ON TO IT THE ENTIRE TIME. I don't get all the bitching about Dez. It wasn't a catch. If you try to add the human element back in (football move, long enough to look like a catch) you will have more of these scenarios. Not less.

Edited by CaptainHook

You guys must not remember how Cris Carter would always catch the ball, tip toe on the sideline, and then drop it when he hit the ground. How long does he have to hold it? Two feet on the ground? 3 seconds? 5 seconds? Long enough to make a football move (ask Steeler/Polamalu fans about that one)? The rule is simple. IF YOU FALL DOWN WHILE CATCHING THE BALL YOU MUST HOLD ON TO IT THE ENTIRE TIME. I don't get all the bitching about Dez. It wasn't a catch. If you try to add the human element back in (football move, long enough to look like a catch) you will have more of these scenarios. Not less.

Its stupid. Like Andrew Lucks beard

the Calvin and Dez plays were not what you described Carter doing. Not even close

Did you watch football in the late 90's early 00's? (Not sure when they started changing the rules.) It was ridiculous what would be called a catch one week and not called a catch the next week. If you go to the ground, you have to maintain control of the ball. Simple. Are there a couple exceptions that look more like a catch (the Calvin play and the Dez play are two prime examples)? Yes. But it clarifies hundreds of other catches that would be in a grey area. So I'm ok with it.

• Like 1

The ground cannot cause a fumble...

but it can cause an incompletion. And that's whatever. The rule on the books that says the Calvin and Dez catches werent catches is retarded. They caught the ball. Dez took 3 steps and reached for the goal line. Its a damn catch. And yes, I know the refs got the call right by the letter of the rule as its written. THATS WHAT MAKES THE RULE STUPID

Not this again. Here we go arguing about something that really makes no sense what so ever. Dez Bryant made a one in a million catch that every single person in the WORLD who knows anything about football would put two hands up and say Touchdown had they of been on the field, on the couch, in the bar, drunk, sober, high or hungover. The only way that play gets called anything else is under the dark hood of some replay booth where some idiot finds a way to take it away.

I'm over it. If it happens again and they still call it incomplete, I'm going to hurt someone. Well, maybe not if it happens to another team.

Call goes down as equal to the Tuck rule call against Oakland, the Fail Mary and perhaps the Holy Roller. Worse calls in NFL history.

Edited by Cowboyz1

ive stated nemerous times that Rodgers woulda led the Pack to at least a fg and Dallas woulda lost anyway. Cmon gil, you're better than this bud

No hes not

Dez took 3 steps and reached for the goal line. Its a damn catch. And yes, I know the refs got the call right by the letter of the rule as its written. THATS WHAT MAKES THE RULE STUPID

Yep, its stupid, and counter-intuitive....but don't reach for the goalline. Secure the ball first and foremost. You want to reach for the goalline, make sure you don't drop the rock, or the play will be ruled incomplete. No grey area, really, seems pretty simple.

Some plays will look obviously incomplete, others marginally, some not at all...but they will all be ruled incomplet if you can't hold onto the football.

Yep, its stupid, and counter-intuitive....but don't reach for the goalline. Secure the ball first and foremost. You want to reach for the goalline, make sure you don't drop the rock, or the play will be ruled incomplete. No grey area, really, seems pretty simple.

Some plays will look obviously incomplete, others marginally, some not at all...but they will all be ruled incomplet if you can't hold onto the football.

I agree with you here but that is exactly the point. He did hold on to the ball. Had the ball gone flying and hit the ground at any time then sure he didn't catch it. However, like in any other play they call when the ball touches the ground but did NOT aid the receiver to make the catch, Dez lunging for the goal line had control the entire time. Had he of lost the ball during that shift then I would understand. But he maintained possession even though the ball touched the ground as he rolled over.

Fact is, they took a great play and turned it into a technical judgment. Silly when you have a rule overturn a great play made on the field and that catch DEz made was a great play that should have gone down is history as one of those memorable catches in playoff lore. Instead it's just another lumped up eye for the NFL and Cowboys fans. It's a shame really.