[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Le'Veon Bell suspended 3 games

DMD

Per tweet by Adam Schefter:

Pitt RB LeVeon Bell suspended 3 games, fined additional game check for violating substance abuse policy, per league sources. He is appealing

That has fantasy significance. Makes him a interesting risk to take and where he falls had to consider that he'll miss 25% of the regular fantasy season games.

With three less games of wear and tear, imagine how strong he will be weeks 14-17? I would also have to assume that unless the Steelers go 3-0 without Bell, they won't have wrapped anything up by Week 15, and will be playing meaningful football come Week 16, which many other RBs won't. I like knowing my stud RB is playing full-tilt through my fantasy playoffs.

Be tough to pass on him with the #1 pick.

You are willing to use your #1 pick on someone who gives you FOUR weekly zeroes by week 12? One-third of your regular season games has no use of your best player. And for him being stronger down the stretch - perhaps. But recall his spike in production came only after Blount was gone and they had no other decent #2 RB. Do you really think his work load in those final five games that you remember will continue? Through week 10, he averaged 16 carries per game for 75 yards plus 5.5 catches for 46 yards. In the next five games he averaged 24 carries for 119 yards and 4.5 catches for 62 yards. That is what everyone wants to remember. When he played TEN, NO, CIN, ATL and KC.

In those five games, he scored 8 TDs. He had 3 TDs in all other games.

No way I pick him in the first round. No way. He'll be good for the 8 of 12 games he plays but not like he was for 5 games when Blount was gone and there was no other decent alternative. And someone will always try to steal DeAngelo Williams too when they waited too long on RBs.

• Like 4

I think he slides out of the first round in the re-draft leagues I'm in. Missing four of fourteen games in the regular season guaranteed for your first round pick is a lot, you'd have to be confident on hitting on guys elsewhere in the draft to weather those weeks.

De'Angelo Williams will need to be drafted early as well as the handcuff so its messy.

Edited by Dolphin_Akie

You are willing to use your #1 pick on someone who gives you FOUR weekly zeroes by week 12? One-third of your regular season games has no use of your best player.

You don't get zeros. You use your RB3 for those weeks. One of which you planned that anyway. The other three of which might have a clear-cut handcuff that no one in their right minds will overpay for. The Zero RB Theorum proves this to be a non-issue.

I'm going Bell #1 all day long.

• Like 1

You don't get zeros. You use your RB3 for those weeks. One of which you planned that anyway. The other three of which might have a clear-cut handcuff that no one in their right minds will overpay for. The Zero RB Theorum proves this to be a non-issue.

Seems awfully foolish, this situation just reeks of bust or at least much lower production than many are anticipating. I would take Forte, Lacy or even Charles over him all day long. Especially in ppr leagues.

You don't get zeros. You use your RB3 for those weeks. One of which you planned that anyway. The other three of which might have a clear-cut handcuff that no one in their right minds will overpay for. The Zero RB Theorum ™ proves this to be a non-issue.

Doesn't the Zero RB Theorem mean you don't draft RBs in the first or in the early rounds?

I'm actually shocked that the majority would move Bell out of the 1st. Not me. I wouldn't take him #1 overall (wouldn't have before this news either) but IF I was going RB in round 1, he's still in my top 5 and I would take him in a heartbeat if he was best player on my board. I'd like some of you to walk me through your logic.

Here's mine:

All players risk missing a few games and I would argue most DO miss a game or two more often than not. I pretty much assume I'm getting 14 games max from all my starters when I head into a season. I can't predict the future with specifics but I know most of my players, for various reasons, will miss 1-3 games each season.

In this case of Bell, we definitely know he will miss 3 games. This changes nothing regarding the projection of his PPG average. You actually gain an advantage because you know for certain he will miss weeks 1-3, which allows you to adjust your draft in favor of your RB3. In real football, players can go down without notice, after you've submitted your lineup, and give you little to no points. The unforeseen is more costly than the known. If you know ahead of time - which we do - that a player will do poorly, you have the advantage of forming a contingency plan. The other 13 games you know you'll be starting a top 5 RB. The probability of Bell missing additional time due to the unexpected does not increase, in fact, you could argue it decreases because the number of hits he will take, the wear and tear on his body etc... will be reduced by 3 games.

Put in simple math terms.

Bell scored 370 points in my dynasty PPR league for an avg of 23 PPG

However, let's just use top 5 RB averages. If you avg the top 5 RB's PPG, you get 20 PPG

If you take the PPG avg for RB's 25-48 you get about 10 PPG

So, for simple math... drafting Bell and replacing him with RB 36ish for 3 weeks, you'd get [(20*13) + (10*3)]*16 = 290 points = Marshawn Lynch/Arian Foster or RB 4-5

Would you still avoid Bell in round 1 if you were targeting a top 5 RB?

I'm actually shocked that the majority would move Bell out of the 1st. Not me. I wouldn't take him #1 overall (wouldn't have before this news either) but IF I was going RB in round 1, he's still in my top 5 and I would take him in a heartbeat if he was best player on my board. I'd like some of you to walk me through your logic.

Here's mine:

All players risk missing a few games and I would argue most DO miss a game or two more often than not. I pretty much assume I'm getting 14 games max from all my starters when I head into a season. I can't predict the future with specifics but I know most of my players, for various reasons, will miss 1-3 games each season.

In this case of Bell, we definitely know he will miss 3 games. This changes nothing regarding the projection of his PPG average. You actually gain an advantage because you know for certain he will miss weeks 1-3, which allows you to adjust your draft in favor of your RB3. In real football, players can go down without notice, after you've submitted your lineup, and give you little to no points. The unforeseen is more costly than the known. If you know ahead of time - which we do - that a player will do poorly, you have the advantage of forming a contingency plan. The other 13 games you know you'll be starting a top 5 RB. The probability of Bell missing additional time due to the unexpected does not increase, in fact, you could argue it decreases because the number of hits he will take, the wear and tear on his body etc... will be reduced by 3 games.

Put in simple math terms.

Bell scored 370 points in my dynasty PPR league for an avg of 23 PPG

However, let's just use top 5 RB averages. If you avg the top 5 RB's PPG, you get 20 PPG

If you take the PPG avg for RB's 25-48 you get about 10 PPG

So, for simple math... drafting Bell and replacing him with RB 36ish for 3 weeks, you'd get [(20*13) + (10*3)]*16 = 290 points = Marshawn Lynch/Arian Foster or RB 4-5

Would you still avoid Bell in round 1 if you were targeting a top 5 RB?

Interesting. I was just looking at those top 5 RBs from last year using my dynasty league scoring which is essentially performance .5PPR (RB)...

Foster was RB 5 with 273 points and he missed 3 games (not including his bye). So Foster, even with missing 3 games, was the 5th best RB. 5 of the top 15 RBs missed between 1 and 3 games. The top 4 played all 16 games. 10 of the top 20 missed 1 or more games. Once you get past RB 15, the frequency of players who miss 1+ games increases. I'm just eyeballing this stuff in grid format. Interesting nonetheless.

Edited by Brentastic

This is true, however you'd be treading on thin ice - for that early Bell pick to be justified, he now HAS to be healthy for basically all of his games....With RB being such an injury-inherent position, that wouldn't make me very comfortable.

• Like 1

Off the cuff, in PPR, the players I'd take over Bell given his 3 game suspension are: Lacy, Charles, Julio, Demaryius, and possibly McCoy, Forte, Dez, OBJ and Murray.

I can't see him falling out of the first, but he definitely falls into the back half or maybe even back third of it.

Depends where I see D-Will going, tho in my leagues a lot of guys will try to make me pay if I draft him in the first. Wouldn't take him 1st overall, but after 5 in the first I'm definitely considering it. Love it tho! Adds another wrinkle to draft day and either someone reaches or I potentially get solid value in the 2nd of 3rd (one can dream!)

This is true, however you'd be treading on thin ice - for that early Bell pick to be justified, he now HAS to be healthy for basically all of his games....played B being such an injury-inherent position, that wouldn't make me very comfortable.

This exactly. In all likelihood, he will miss another game or two with an ankle or knee, as many rbs do during the season. He already has a short history of missing games with injury. That could drop his total games played to 10-12. That is enough for me to stay away until early 2nd round.

I'll still draft him early. Championships are won in weeks 14-17, not weeks 1-3. It is a risk. But I'll take the risk of not making the playoffs since it will mean my team will be stronger in the long haul.

Certainly a viable strategy in redraft. Not so much in best ball. He has to fall out of the top spot in MFL10'S.

Certainly a viable strategy in redraft. Not so much in best ball. He has to fall out of the top spot in MFL10'S.

maybe more so in best ball that run the full 16 or 17 weeks. He'll miss less than 1/5 of the games there

maybe more so in best ball that run the full 16 or 17 weeks. He'll miss less than 1/5 of the games there

Yeah, but with no plauoffs, there is no potential late season payoff. You really want high season totals in that format and it will be tough for a guy to miss 3 games and still finish at the top of his position. Up until now, he has been basically the unanimous #1 overall pick. I have seen Gronk and OBJ go #1 once each, but every single other one it has been Bell.