[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeflateGate: The Well's Report

keggerz

I get the integrity and rules is rules viewpoint, and agree with it. That said, I don't feel all that strongly about their malfeasance in this specific instance...I am, however, still confused as to why teams are even allowed to mess with game balls. Total non-issue if the nfl just simply provided and kept balls during games

• Like 1

I get the integrity and rules is rules viewpoint, and agree with it. That said, I don't feel all that strongly about their malfeasance in this specific instance...I am, however, still confused as to why teams are even allowed to mess with game balls. Total non-issue if the nfl just simply provided and kept balls during games

And they're paying their commissioner like 25 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR and can't figure out simple things like this.

This is exactly what the rule used to be. Until Brady and Peyton Manning lobbied the league to allow QB's to break in the balls that would be used in games. Then Brady goes a step further and alters them after checked by officials. I don't see how anybody thinks it isn't a big deal. Especially with their history of cheating.

There was a good tidbit on local radio the other day where Jake Plummer was talking about how Brady called him and other QBS about 9 years ago to try to convince them to support getting the balls in advance to be able to adjust them to each guy. Brady really wanted it. Having the football "his way" is a big deal to him.

• 9 months later...

This is exactly what the rule used to be. Until Brady and Peyton Manning lobbied the league to allow QB's to break in the balls that would be used in games. Then Brady goes a step further and alters them after checked by officials. I don't see how anybody thinks it isn't a big deal. Especially with their history of cheating.

no one thinks its a big deal because he torched the colts in the 2nd half and the seahawks in the superbowl

If you just look at the circumstantial evidence in King's article . . . it is very clear there was some monkey business going on with the footballs. Probably for a while. The Patriots had a couple things going against them:

1. NFL went easy on them for Spygate. Even destroyed the evidence afterwards. Clearly they were on "Double Secret Probation".

2. They defied the league at every turn instead of just admitting what they did.

They clearly deserve the fine and loss of draft picks. Kraft knew this. That's why he signed off on it.

Does Brady deserve a four game suspension as well? Probably not. Need more than circumstantial evidence for that I think. But he clearly knew what was going on, and probably just viewed it as gamesmanship. If he cops to it, he gets a slap on the wrist. Instead he decided to play coy. The league has called him on it. Now we'll see what the courts say.

Edited by CaptainHook

Is there even a precedent for undoing the fine (draft pick & $1M) levied against the Patriots? If not I highly doubt it would happen (no I am not defending Goodell). If Kraft thought that was so unfair and that they didn't deserve it he would have fought it, his statement at the time was pretty much "we accept the punishment and won't appeal", which is not an admission of guilt more a "we're not going to do any better" like a plea deal.

If you just look at the circumstantial evidence in King's article . . . it is very clear there was some monkey business going on with the footballs. Probably for a while. The Patriots had a couple things going against them:

1. NFL went easy on them for Spygate. Even destroyed the evidence afterwards. Clearly they were on "Double Secret Probation".

2. They defied the league at every turn instead of just admitting what they did.

They clearly deserve the fine and loss of draft picks. Kraft knew this. That's why he signed off on it.

Does Brady deserve a four game suspension as well? Probably not. Need more than circumstantial evidence for that I think. But he clearly knew what was going on, and probably just viewed it as gamesmanship. If he cops to it, he gets a slap on the wrist. Instead he decided to play coy. The league has called him on it. Now we'll see what the courts say.

You and the NFL should let this go, its the sensible thing to do. This has gone on long enough.

Brady played "coy." How is vehemently opposing any and all accusations "coy." He screamed with all his might that he was not involved and there was simply nothing more than circumstantial evidence saying that he was. And 4 game suspension is a "slap on the wrist?" That is 1/4 of the season that he would have lost, certainly more than a "slap on the wrist." C'mon man.

You and the NFL should let this go, its the sensible thing to do. This has gone on long enough.

Brady played "coy." How is vehemently opposing any and all accusations "coy." He screamed with all his might that he was not involved and there was simply nothing more than circumstantial evidence saying that he was. And 4 game suspension is a "slap on the wrist?" That is 1/4 of the season that he would have lost, certainly more than a "slap on the wrist." C'mon man.

Reading comprehension. Try it. :tup:

Is there even a precedent for undoing the fine (draft pick & $1M) levied against the Patriots? If not I highly doubt it would happen (no I am not defending Goodell). If Kraft thought that was so unfair and that they didn't deserve it he would have fought it, his statement at the time was pretty much "we accept the punishment and won't appeal", which is not an admission of guilt more a "we're not going to do any better" like a plea deal.

yeah the draft picks are gone. I think Kraft took the penalty b/c he didn't want to fight the league and not necessarily because he felt that he deserved it. He was hoping the NFL would accept that as a plea deal of sorts and that the issue would more or less be dropped.