[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

College Sleepers and Busts this year ....

Elias Grodin

Ok out of the AP Top 25, ( and some outsiders looking in) - Who is a buy and who is a bust.??

Busts - LSU. The SEC schedule is tough enough without the everyone gunning for you. Back to Back away games ( UGA/FL) should dash their hopes of a return sugar bowl right into the rocks.

WVA - why is a big east team even in the top 25. With Miami and Va Tech gone who are they going to play ? Ball State? .. Cmon .

Buy -

Alabama - Shula finally has a good recruiting and coaching year under his belt. Croyle is back healthy,.. this team could really surprise some of their opponents.

Any others??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I understand your question on WVA - shouldn't an easier schedule help them to a better record and therefore into the Top 25? Strength of Schedule concerns usually get overriden by an unbeaten or 1 loss overall record at some point....

And when you say "Buy", are you wagering on the overall season for these teams somehow, or looking for betting tips on specific games?

I'm not sure if I understand your question on WVA - shouldn't an easier schedule help them to a better record and therefore into the Top 25?  Strength of Schedule concerns usually get overriden by an unbeaten or 1 loss overall record at some point....

And when you say "Buy", are you wagering on the overall season for these teams somehow, or looking for betting tips on specific games?

354008[/snapback]

I am not a proponent of any division that does not have a conference championship - first and foremost. Teams from weak divisions should not get top 10 rankings, unless they are just that good. Take for example Miami ( before the jump to the ACC ) how many times was Miami a top 5 team because the rest of their schedule was weak, until they played va tech or Fl st... UM would consistantly beat the crap out of the BC's, Villanovas, Syracuses and cruise right into a bowl game every year. ... before a BIG 10 fan jumps in here " At least the Big 10 has a competitive schedule and more than one good team in that division." Yes .. I do think the Big 10 need to get with the program and set a champ game, but I have an easier time voting a 10-2 big ten team into the top 10 , then any new look big east team that cherry picked its way to an undefeated season. Sorry but beating BC, Nova, Syr, Uconn, Rutgers, ... doenst make you in the same league as michigan, georgia, Fl st.. etc. Play someone then talk to me. Until then its off to the Weedeater bowl for you .. enjoy.

Buy simply means , a team thats stock is on the rise. The AP loves to jump on the bandwagon of teams and completely overlook some others. I do a buy/sell for each of the leagues that I write for and analyze some teams that I think are on the rise, and others who you need to just tell fans " Dont believe the hype". Thats for all of you tigers fans out there.

-Grodin

Per NCAA rules, a conference may not have a championship game unless it has at least 12 teams.

354465[/snapback]

Figures that the NCAA would do something like that. Its Independants and lack of conferences with championships that will not get with the program.

The Big 10 ( actually big 11) and the ACC need to get one more team ( I would say Notre Dame for the Big 10, and South Carolina for the ACC ... with S. Miss jumping into the SEC in their place.) Have the PAC 10 take on 2 more teams ( my picks would be BYU and Air force) and That makes each and every big conference fit the requirement . Navy being the only other independant could join Conf USA - since they are allready rivals to Army it makes perfect sense.

That leaves the major conferences Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, PAC 10, Big East ( after re-alignment) ( all of the major players in the NC/BCS picture with a chance at an AT LARGE bid for the NC. Win your division and you are in to at least one of the Big Bowls - if not more.

( the rest of the conferences fates are debatable. There is too much consternation with having wide open conferences like that, and so something would have to be done with them as well )

The simple answer to the BCS would be , if you dont win your championship - dont even bother asking for an NC bid.

The problem with the Big 10 adding another team is that there would then be 2 Big 12 conferences.  It would just be to confusing.

354993[/snapback]

The Big Ten kept its name after adding Penn State. What makes you think they would change it if they added a 12th team? :D

The problem with the Big 10 adding another team is that there would then be 2 Big 12 conferences.  It would just be to confusing.

354993[/snapback]

Agreed. Think about it this way though - back when OSU won the NC. Sure they went to the NC game and beat Miami for the NC , and so they won the NC by the rules put in place. Good for them ...

BUT, OSU never had to play the best team in the Big 10 that year - Iowa. Their schedule was set so that they didnt play Iowa that year and so they never had to prove they were the best in the Big 10 . Iowa was ranked 8 if I remember correctly and OSU was 2 .

Now take that same scenario and put them in the SEC or the Big 12. If they were in the same division, they would have played during the regular season. If they were in opposite divisions in the conference they would have faced in the conf championship. That way the people that complained that the BCS was flawed, would have really come off looking like a bad case of sandy vag.....( you follow me here)

What gets me the most about the Big 10, and teh Pac 10 is that they have 11 teams. One team under the requirement for a conf championship. TheTeams like ND talk about how huge of a rivalry OSU, Penn St, Mich and Purdue are .. but they play a pansy independant schedule because NBC doesnt want them joining the big 10. Sure the Conf would have to be renamed ( or the big 12 could go back to the SWC), but it would shut up alot of people who want to *** about BCS flaws.

The ACC did it, and they have made their conference better with these moves. Teams like Miami and Va Tech needed to be in the ACC. If the Big 10 adds ND ( logical choice ) then that division is that much stronger too. Strong divisions mean for strong teams come bowl season. Conf championships mean for auto bids to bowls. Its the way it goes.

Last year is another classic example. LSU won the SEC outright , as much as I dispise LSU they wont it fair and square and deserved the sugar. Now OU, didnt. They lost to KSU in the BIG 12 championship, but because the PAC 10 didnt have a strong schedule or a conf champ ( both add to the BCS equation). Say the PAC 10 had added a weak team like fresno st to their league and had a conf championship. USC would have had to play their conf championship game, which would have put them over the top for the BCS formula. Instead of OU vs LSU .. its USC vs LSU for all of the marbles.

Its not a playoff college football needs. What they need is conference uniformity. Everyone has a chance to win it, the same way.

-Grodin

It's doubtfull the Big Ten will EVER go to a championship game.They like the OSU Michigan game being one of the biggest games of the year.

Why exactly must there be uniformity?

As far as that goes,having a championship game(which you seem to want)is the very reason WVU's schedule is weak.The ACC wanted one and raped the Big east to do it.Place Miami on it and it's a very respectable schedule.

You called Iowa the best team in the Big Ten in 2002.Why aren't you downgrading them because of their weak schedule like you did WVU?They played juggernauts Minnesota,Northwestern,Indiana,Akron,Utah State,Miami of Ohio,and last but not least,Iowa State whom they lost to.

You calling WVU a bust is just plain ridiculous.They lost very few players,and will have a dominant o-line.The team that beat (at the time) #3 Virginia Tech 28-7,top #12 Pitt 52-31,and lost a heartbreaker to Miami 22-20 on a great fourth down catch by KW2 was a young team that had many injuries and was inexperienced.That won't be the case this year.

With their entire o-line back,including their best one who missed last year to an injury,and a much deeper and experienced d-line,they will be a dangerous team for anyone to play.

I'm putting them in the sleeper category.

The Big 10 ( actually big 11) and the ACC need to get one more team ( I would say Notre Dame for the Big 10, and South Carolina for the ACC ... with S. Miss jumping into the SEC in their place.)

354725[/snapback]

Actually the ACC has a twelth team. Boston College will be joining the ACC in July, 2005. The 2005 ACC championship game will be held in Jacksonville, FL.

Edited by pighead

Figures that the NCAA would do something like that. Its Independants and lack of conferences with championships that will not get with the program.

The Big 10 ( actually big 11) and the ACC need to get one more team ( I would say Notre Dame for the Big 10, and South Carolina for the ACC ... with S. Miss jumping into the SEC in their place.) Have the PAC 10 take on 2 more teams ( my picks would be BYU and Air force) and That makes each and every big conference fit the requirement . Navy being the only other independant could join Conf USA - since they are allready rivals to Army it makes perfect sense.

That leaves the major conferences Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, PAC 10, Big East ( after re-alignment) ( all of the major players in the NC/BCS picture with a chance at an AT LARGE bid for the NC. Win your division and you are in to at least one of the Big Bowls - if not more.

( the rest of the conferences fates are debatable. There is too much consternation with having wide open conferences like that, and so something would have to be done with them as well )

The simple answer to the BCS would be , if you dont win your championship - dont even bother asking for an NC bid.

354725[/snapback]

There is one big problem with this plan. Southern Miss is no where near ready for SEC competition. You would have to find a real school to take South Carolina's spot in the SEC. I wouldn't be suprised if Louisville(despite a recent change wouldn't come south), if South Carolina moved.

I think the ACC missed it when they didn't try and grab West Virginia. A good team that will be competitive, but won't be a huge threat in any sport.

If I am Fla. State I am looking for somewhere else to go, you have just went from being the bully on the block to the little brother now that Miami is in the ACC.

I think the ACC missed it when they didn't try and grab West Virginia.  A good team that will be competitive, but won't be a huge threat in any sport.

West Virginia wasn't invited because the have too small a TV market.VT is just as small,but Virginia forced the ACC to invite them due to pressure from the Virginia governor.They really wanted Syracuse,not VT.

It's doubtfull the Big Ten will EVER go to a championship game.They like the OSU Michigan game being one of the biggest games of the year.

Why exactly must there be uniformity?

As far as that goes,having a championship game(which you seem to want)is the very reason WVU's schedule is weak.The ACC wanted one and raped the Big east to do it.Place Miami on it and it's a very respectable schedule.

You called Iowa the best team in the Big Ten in 2002.Why aren't you downgrading them because of their weak schedule like you did WVU?They played juggernauts Minnesota,Northwestern,Indiana,Akron,Utah State,Miami of Ohio,and last but not least,Iowa State whom they lost to.

You calling WVU a bust is just plain ridiculous.They lost very few players,and will have a dominant o-line.The team that beat (at the time) #3 Virginia Tech  28-7,top #12 Pitt 52-31,and lost a heartbreaker to Miami 22-20 on a great fourth down catch by KW2 was a young team that had many injuries and was inexperienced.That won't be the case this year.

With their entire o-line back,including their best one who missed last year to an injury,and a much deeper and experienced d-line,they will be a dangerous team for anyone to play.

I'm putting them in the sleeper category.

355943[/snapback]

:D

Why must Michigan/OSU be the big game out of the Big 10 every year?Why not make a conf championship and make every game a big game - and a BCS auto bid for the conference winner. No one can dispute a conference winner coming out of the Big 12 or the SEC. I think it would add much more credibility to the conference to include notre dame, and all of the schools would benefit from tv money. The ACC did it and kept their rivalries intact, and the SEC and Big 12 have all of their key rivalries intact. So any other justification that big 10 fans want to use to not get this done is going to ring more and more of a cop out. Say what you will about Iowa in 2002, but OSU didnt have to play them during the regular season. Where as in the SEC/Big 12 that team would have had the chance to play spoiler. To be the best , you have to beat the rest. Its a simple concept here.

The simple answer to uniformity is this: .. Every team has a chance to win and everyone's chances are the same. Divisions like the Pac 10 and the Big Ten have an advantage on teh SEC/ACC/Big 12 simply because they dont have a conf championship at the end of the year. Thats one tough opponent that they do not have to play. If you want to correct the flaws in the BCS then the playing field needs to be leveled.

WVA is a bust, as far as a #10 ranking goes. The only good team that they play all year ( as of right now) is Maryland who is ranked 20th. Cmon, James Madison, Rutgers , Temple , East Carolina????????????.... You have got to play SOMEONE to hold that ranking. They might be the best of the rest in their division. But when that division is the Big East - you arent talking about much to begin with.

There is one big problem with this plan.  Southern Miss is no where near ready for SEC competition.  You would have to find a real school to take South Carolina's spot in the SEC.  I wouldn't be suprised if Louisville(despite a recent change wouldn't come south), if South Carolina moved. 

I think the ACC missed it when they didn't try and grab West Virginia.  A good team that will be competitive, but won't be a huge threat in any sport. 

If I am Fla. State I am looking for somewhere else to go, you have just went from being the bully on the block to the little brother now that Miami is in the ACC.

357569[/snapback]

What you are forgetting is that many SEC teams are allready rivalries with So. Miss as it is. So. Miss also recruits in the same area that the SEC teams do. They recruit primarily MS, No. AL, GA, LA ... This team has caused some problems in the SEC before and I think that you might be correct in them starting off as a prom queen in this conference. I think the move makes perfect sense for them to make the jump. Where as S Car is more of an ACC team playing in the SEC. Nc State and Clemson are their biggest games...

Yeah, Fl State might not be 100% excited about their division getting that much tougher, but once again it makes perfect sense. Bowden is one of those coaches that loves the competition anyways, and so their rivalry just got a whole lot better. Thats the same rivalry that occurs in big time divisions ( Bama vs Aubarn, Texas vs Texas Am), and I think its great for college football and should help with figuring this BCS mess out.

West Virginia wasn't invited because the have too small a TV market.VT is just as small,but Virginia forced the ACC to invite them due to pressure from the Virginia governor.They really wanted Syracuse,not VT.

358080[/snapback]

WVA would benefit from getting out of the big east. They are primarily a college football school - where as the big east is attempting to turn that conference into a basketball powerhouse. Maybe WVU could join the Big 10, once NBC tells ND that they cannot join the Big 10 because of tv money.

The Big Ten would be great,but it will never happen-WVU's academic standards are(at least at this time)too low.Pitt would likely be asked first.

The SEC seems a better fit for WVU,but the SEC hasn't inquired or shown any interest at this point.

354725[/snapback]

Aha ah aha ah aha ha ahah ah a.........(L)YU and AFA into the PAC 10.....

What makes you think they want those two crappy schools. Plus, they dont want anymore, period. Enuff said. If they do get FORCED into picking two it definitely wouldnt be a Mormon school that the liberal schools would gawk at & it wouldnt be a fly boyz school that brings absolutely nada to the table.

Aha ah aha ah aha ha ahah ah a.........(L)YU and AFA into the PAC 10.....

What makes you think they want those two crappy schools. Plus, they dont want anymore, period. Enuff said. If they do get FORCED into picking two it definitely wouldnt be a Mormon school that the liberal schools would gawk at & it wouldnt  be a  fly boyz school that brings absolutely nada to the table.

360533[/snapback]

One of the big reasons behind USC not being in the NC game last year was SOS. USC would benefit out of having a conference championship - especially with the PAC 10 being weak.

Ok out of the AP Top 25, ( and some outsiders looking in) - Who is a buy and who is a bust.??

Busts - LSU. The SEC schedule is tough enough without the everyone gunning for you.  Back to Back away games ( UGA/FL) should dash their hopes of a return sugar bowl right into the rocks.

WVA - why is a big east team even in the top 25. With Miami and Va Tech gone who are they going to play ? Ball State? .. Cmon .

Buy -

Alabama - Shula finally has a good recruiting and coaching year under his belt. Croyle is back healthy,.. this team could really surprise some of their opponents.

Any others??

352778[/snapback]

yeah Shula did such a good job recruiting that 11 of the thugs he recruited failed to qualify. Bama has no running game, no passing game, a sucky defense, if they do anything it will be a miracle, trust me.

yeah Shula did such a good job recruiting that 11 of the thugs he recruited failed to qualify. Bama has no running game, no passing game, a sucky defense, if they do anything it will be a miracle, trust me.

369299[/snapback]

Typical Kerry fan . Using their powers of Selective hearing as given to you by Micheal Moore. You might have read the whole article, but only remembered what

What you forgot to mention is that Shula also oversigned players to prepare for the fact that some of his incoming recruits wouldnt meet clearinghouse standards. Thats planning ahead if you ask me. Anyone who comments about players being thugs, clearly doesnt have a grasp of college football. Newsflash - EVERYONE Recruits thugs. Get with the program. At least he didnt find convenient ways ( ie LSU, OU, Miami, FL st) for those kids to be able to play. Everyone deserves a chance to play.

You heard it here first - Bama is on the up.

Got Mike?

-Grodin

Typical Kerry fan . Using their powers of Selective hearing as given to you by Micheal Moore. You might have read the whole article, but only remembered what

What you forgot to mention is that Shula also oversigned players to prepare for the fact that some of his incoming recruits wouldnt meet clearinghouse standards. Thats planning ahead if you ask me. Anyone who comments about players being thugs, clearly doesnt have a grasp of college football. Newsflash - EVERYONE Recruits thugs. Get with the program. At least he didnt find convenient ways ( ie LSU, OU, Miami, FL st) for those kids to be able to play. Everyone deserves a chance to play.

You heard it here first - Bama is on the up.

Got Mike?

-Grodin

369385[/snapback]

typical bammer trash response. you heard it here first, and probably many other places. Ray Hudson sucks, he's the rb, Brodie Croyle sucks and he's the qb, they have 0 experience at receiver besides prothro and he sucks, an average offensive line, a terrible defense that was BAD last year and will be even WORSE this year, lets not forget Joe Kines is still there. and of course the same head coach is there that put Brodie in against Georgia w/ an injured shoulder while down about 30. 1-7 in SEC play would be a miracle for this bunch.