[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

College Sleepers and Busts this year ....

Elias Grodin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

typical bammer trash response. you heard it here first, and probably many other places. Ray Hudson sucks, he's the rb, Brodie Croyle sucks and he's the qb, they have 0 experience at receiver besides prothro and he sucks, an average offensive line, a terrible defense that was BAD last year and will be even WORSE this year, lets not forget Joe Kines is still there. and of course the same head coach is there that put Brodie in against Georgia w/ an injured shoulder while down about 30. 1-7 in SEC play would be a miracle for this bunch.

370966[/snapback]

:D

Great insight there Corso, but your true colors ( ie hunter's orange) are showing through, like a boner in sweatpants. Try this .. stick more to the facts and less flaming. MMkay?

Where your rant goes horribly wrong is Brodie. He was a statistically average SEC QB last year, but based on the fact that he played injured all year and was behind an OL that had the protective ability of wet toilet paper, his stats should have been much worse. That doesn't even factor in the effect on his play of only having 3 weeks to learn a new system, and not being allowed to change plays at the line of scrimmage after he had seen the defensive set.

Hudson is getting his chance as the starter this year, and its a real reach to say that he 'sucks'. Also you forgot to mention Tim Castille - who is going to carry some of the load at Rb as well for Bama. Their Rbs corps will be fine.

Wr's may be young, but I wouldnt sell them off just yet. Matt Cadell has had a great spring and should emerge this year.

1-7 in SEC play is a pipe dream, of an angry volunteer fan. The more realistic pick would be 6-2 in SEC play... you heard it here first. Bama is the third team in the SEC west and goes to the gator bowl.

-Grodin

God, and to think the Huskers biggest concern right now is who is going to be the kicker, let alone who can go for the Heisman,

372351[/snapback]

Who cares about what round Sproles goes in anyways. Holmes was undrafted his draft year.

I see Sproles being a Dave Megget type in the NFL. Third down back, alot of dump passes to alow him to use his speed, and KR/PR duties at first. The kid can flat out fly .... put him on a decent weight gain program and he could eventually start in the NFL.

-Grodin

Great insight there Corso, but your true colors ( ie hunter's orange) are showing through, like a boner in sweatpants. Try this .. stick more to the facts and less flaming. MMkay?

Where your rant goes horribly wrong is Brodie. He was a statistically average SEC QB last year, but based on the fact that he played injured all year and was behind an OL that had the protective ability of wet toilet paper, his stats should have been much worse. That doesn't even factor in the effect on his play of only having 3 weeks to learn a new system, and not being allowed to change plays at the line of scrimmage after he had seen the defensive set.

Hudson is getting his chance as the starter this year, and its a real reach to say that he 'sucks'. Also you forgot to mention Tim Castille - who is going to carry some of the load at Rb as well for Bama. Their Rbs corps will be fine.

Wr's may be young, but I wouldnt sell them off just yet. Matt Cadell has had a great spring and should emerge this year.

1-7 in SEC play is a pipe dream, of an angry volunteer fan. The more realistic pick would be 6-2 in SEC play... you heard it here first. Bama is the third team in the SEC west and goes to the gator bowl.

-Grodin

372748[/snapback]

hah volunteer fan, tennessee is right down there with bammer buddy.

first off lets look at Brodie. It was a Healthy Brodie Croyle that cost Alabama the game with Northern Illinois. He's the most overrated quarterback in the country. Alabama has all these homers that run recruiting services and overrated these marginal quarterbacks.

at running back, Hudson is a druggy, he got caught with drugs last year and was allowed right back on the team yet a cheerleader got kicked off the squad for saying "war eagle" on television. nice standard to set there. Hudson has never done anything and Castille is almost as worthless.

it's easy to emerge as a WR during the spring at Alabama against that pathetic defense, i'm sure several of them look good.

so homer herbstreit, lets look over the schedule

Sep 4 Utah State win 1-0, 0-0

Sep 11 Ole Miss loss 1-1, 0-1 probably close

Sep 18 Western Carolina win 2-1, 0-1 2-1 record is shula bringing them back to the promise land?

Sep 25 Arkansas 2-2 0-2

Oct 2 South Carolina 2-3, 0-3

Oct 9 Kentucky 2-4, 0-4

Oct 16 Southern Miss 3-4, 0-4 the magic is back heading to amen corner?

Oct 23 Tennessee nope 3-5 0-5

Nov 6 Mississippi State sly gets his revenge against the racists. 3-6, 0-6

Nov 13 LSU ass kicking part 1 3-7, 0-7

Nov 20 Auburn ass kicking part 2 3-8, 0-8

like i said, 1-7 will be a miracle, check out those games. Now bama will likely play close with Kentucky and Miss. St. so i suppose 2 SEC wins might be in the cards along w/ a 5-6 record, but face it bammer is going nowhere near a bowl. why did you just assume i am a tennessee fan? they are going to suck too.

hah volunteer fan, tennessee is right down there with bammer buddy.

first off lets look at Brodie. It was a Healthy Brodie Croyle that cost Alabama the game with Northern Illinois. He's the most overrated quarterback in the country. Alabama has all these homers that run recruiting services and overrated these marginal quarterbacks.

at running back, Hudson is a druggy, he got caught with drugs last year and was allowed right back on the team yet a cheerleader got kicked off the squad for saying "war eagle" on television. nice standard to set there. Hudson has never done anything and Castille is almost as worthless.

it's easy to emerge as a WR during the spring at Alabama against that pathetic defense, i'm sure several of them look good.

so homer herbstreit, lets look over the schedule

Sep 4 Utah State win 1-0, 0-0

Sep 11 Ole Miss loss 1-1, 0-1 probably close

Sep 18 Western Carolina win 2-1, 0-1 2-1 record is shula bringing them back to the promise land?

Sep 25 Arkansas 2-2 0-2

Oct 2 South Carolina 2-3, 0-3

Oct 9 Kentucky 2-4, 0-4

Oct 16 Southern Miss 3-4, 0-4 the magic is back heading to amen corner?

Oct 23 Tennessee nope 3-5 0-5

Nov 6 Mississippi State sly gets his revenge against the racists. 3-6, 0-6

Nov 13 LSU ass kicking part 1 3-7, 0-7

Nov 20 Auburn ass kicking part 2 3-8, 0-8

like i said, 1-7 will be a miracle, check out those games. Now bama will likely play close with Kentucky and Miss. St. so i suppose 2 SEC wins might be in the cards along w/ a 5-6 record, but face it bammer is going nowhere near a bowl. why did you just assume i am a tennessee fan? they are going to suck too.

373052[/snapback]

You are clearly dilusional and using your selective memory once again. Brodie injured his shoulder against OU. He wasnt able to have his shoulder immobilized, and it clearly hindered his play against northern IL. If you watched the games, then you knew that Brodie wasnt at 100% for the rest of the year. We also played poorly vs that team, but it wasnt just Brodie's fault that we lost. Last time that I checked Brodie wasnt a LB last year.

Over rated????? :D

Did you see where Bama's SOS was ? It was at the top of the SOS rankings ( almost). Brodie played with a partially dislocated shoulder , in a new offensive scheme that he had 3 weeks to prepare for, one of the toughest SOS's in the country , and a Bad offensive line .. and still have good/average stats? Thats not over rated - thats called doing the best that you can given the situation that you are facing.

Once again , you are reading what you want to read. Ray Hudson was at a party where said drugs were ( omg a college party with pot there. wow, those groundbreakers.), and the cops busted the party. They took everyone there into the station. Ray Hudson was never charged for anything, and tested negative that week for pot in his system. Its not like he pulled a Nick Saban ( and his replacement afterwards) and started a coke user/dealer. Once again, stick to the facts.

Ok - you broke down the upcoming season. Here's mine. 8-3 in Sec play and a bowl game.

-Grodin

- LSU fan ????

:D He is an Auburn fan.

375772[/snapback]

That explains alot. LMAO...

Only a Barner could be that wrong .

I suggested LSU for the simple reason that LSU fans are conspiracy theorists who reality never has been a friend of. Up until last year's NC ( full credit given ), there was allways a referee ( bad call), weather, ...etc that prevented them from winning.

A Barner has very little room to talk about over rated quarterbacks.

Thanks for the heads up,

In Bred, Corn fed, Brain dead - War Eagle.

-Grodin

KS, I was reading somewhere that Kiper thinks he will be a second rounder in the draft. His height seems to  be the issue.

371440[/snapback]

Sproles is now closing in on 190lbs. and is continuing to lift weights so he'll gain a bit more weight. Note the below active RB's and where Sproles would fit in if he gains another 10+ lbs. right about Portis. BTW Walter Payton was only 202lbs.

Warrick Dunn 5'-9" 180lbs.

Tiki Barber - 5'-10" 200Lbs.

Portis 5'-11" 205lbs.

Bennett 5'-9" 209 Lbs.

Marshall Faulk 5'-10" 211lbs.

Priest Holmes 5'-9" 213lbs.

Sproles is now closing in on 190lbs. and is continuing to lift weights so he'll gain a bit more weight. Note the below active RB's and where Sproles would fit in if he gains another 10+ lbs. right about Portis. BTW Walter Payton was only 202lbs.

Warrick Dunn 5'-9" 180lbs.

Tiki Barber - 5'-10" 200Lbs.

Portis 5'-11" 205lbs.

Bennett 5'-9" 209 Lbs.

Marshall Faulk 5'-10" 211lbs.

Priest Holmes 5'-9" 213lbs.

378747[/snapback]

200 lbs would be alot on 5'7'' :D At what point does his speed and agility suffer from the extra weight. I'm sure he'll get his shot in the NFL with somebody. How big is Griffen? Wasn't Barry Sanders only 5'8" or 9"?

Edited by Vote Quimby2

all this talk about a conference championship game that doesnt prove anything just look at oklahomo and kitty state last lear (proved alot didnt it).

the ohio state / mich game is by far the biggest rivalry in college football.

playoff the only way to go, but will never happen (hope it does). i think it favors the big 10 style of play that nobody wants to face. smashmouth football at its best.

buckeyes rule!

as for sleepers watch out for the buckeyes!

all this talk about a conference championship game that doesnt prove anything just look at oklahomo and kitty state last lear (proved alot didnt it).

the ohio state / mich game is by far the biggest rivalry in college football.

playoff the only way to go, but will never happen (hope it does).  i think it favors the big 10 style of play that nobody wants to face. smashmouth football at its best.

buckeyes rule!

as for sleepers watch out for the buckeyes!

379161[/snapback]

Yeah, it proves that if the Pac 10 ( and the Big 10 for that matter) had a conference champioship, then we never would be having this conversation in the first place. The teams in contention would have then been KSU, LSU, USC ( giving them the pac 10), Michigan ( based off of your own criterion as this being the biggest game in the big 10 - they won, they get the auto bid), FL St ( ACC) and Miami ( Big Easy) , .. as your conference winners and 2 at large bids going to OU, and Ohio State, based off of the simple fact of SOS and final rankings. The rest is simple, by my theory....

The bowls would then go like this:

Sugar - Lsu vs USC ( NC )

Orange - Fl State vs Miami

Fiesta - KSU vs Georgia ( or any other at large team that deserves this)

Rose - Michigan vs OU

Those teams listed here were the top 8 in both the AP and the BCS rankings. there were no serious at large bids to deal with and so the 2 best out of the power conferences would go. UGA and OU are very easy choices ...either way , it doesnt matter.

The playoff is all cutesy for Basketball but in college , it just wouldnt work. Right now the playing field isnt level for each team involved in the NC race. For any system to have a shot at working the conferences holding 11 teams, need to be a part of the program. Answer me this.. Why does the big 10 only have 11 teams ? Because they dont want to have an extra tough game on their schedule - that is why. Chicken.

What the NCAA needs to do is have each conference invite as many teams to have each big conference have a championship - and an Auto bid to a bowl game associated with it. 6 conferences = 6 teams, add on 2 auto bids and you have enough teams to fill the BCS bowls. The only game that the BCS has to get right is the NC game - the rest can be argued about just like it has in the past.... and thats fine. Arguing about who does/doesnt deserve that bowl game has been a part of it since its inception.

That explains alot. LMAO...

Only a Barner could be that wrong .

I suggested LSU for the simple reason that LSU fans are conspiracy theorists who reality never has been a friend of. Up until last year's NC ( full credit given ), there was allways a referee ( bad call), weather, ...etc that prevented them from winning.

A Barner has very little room to talk about over rated quarterbacks.

Thanks for the heads up,

In Bred, Corn fed, Brain dead - War Eagle.

-Grodin

376119[/snapback]

hah you are one to talk bammer trash. round the bowl down the hole roll tide roll. why are you dissing on me just because i diss on bammer? hah whatever, care to make a wager on the iron bowl? what this year will make 4 of 5? and when did i ever say jason campbell is great? overrated? hah, he's not even rated, i can't wait until he graduates. being better than brodie doesn't make you good.

oh i heard alabama hired Johnny Cochran as defensive coordinator today.

rammer

jammer

yellow hammer

go to hell, alabammer

round the bowl

down the hole

roll

tide

roll

War *** Eagle!

hah you are one to talk bammer trash. round the bowl down the hole roll tide roll. why are you dissing on me just because i diss on bammer? hah whatever, care to make a wager on the iron bowl? what this year will make 4 of 5? and when did i ever say jason campbell is great? overrated? hah, he's not even rated, i can't wait until he graduates. being better than brodie doesn't make you good.

oh i heard alabama hired Johnny Cochran as defensive coordinator today.

rammer

jammer

yellow hammer

go to hell, alabammer

round the bowl

down the hole

roll

tide

roll

War *** Eagle!

379469[/snapback]

Allright Barner - you are on. Email me at ryanplawson@hotmail.com and we can discuss terms and stakes of this wager. Just note that I do not accept moonshine from farmer brown's still as an acceptable substitute for the real thing.

You are right. The Barn is on a roll as of late. Too bad that their little streak is going to end this year in Tuscaloosa though.

The playoff is all cutesy for Basketball but in college , it just wouldnt work. Right now the playing field isnt level for each team involved in the NC race. For any system to have a shot at working the conferences holding 11 teams, need to be a part of the program.

Funny, it doesn't seem to be an issue at EVERY OTHER LEVEL OF FOOTBALL. :D

KS, I was reading somewhere that Kiper thinks he will be a second rounder in the draft. His height seems to  be the issue.

Who cares? This is the COLLEGE forum, not the pro prospect forum. Sproles is a d*mn good college player, that's all that matters here.

The Golden Gophers #23 –reasons why the can be both a bust and a sleeper.

Last year: 10-3

Sleeper: They field one of the best rushing attacks in NCAA. Last year, both Maroney and Barber rushed for over 1000 yds and a combined 27tds. The 30th time in NCAA history that it has happened. They can become the 1st team in NCAA history to do it in consecutive years. Last year they were ranked 3rd in the nation with 313 yds per game.

1st game – they put up 464 yds on the ground.

Bust: The defense is young with 7 returning starters and most are sophomore and juniors. They just need to do an average job as the offense should keep them in most games. This will be the question, are they good enough to keep them in the big games. If they fall, this will be the reason.

Schedule: They do not play Ohio State this year, but they play big games @Mich 10/9, @Wisc 11/6 and IOWA 11/13.

I guess if they win these big games might have a chance at the Rose Bowl, but it will be very tough. I do not really follow College Football all that much due to the fact I follow Pro and College Hockey, but since Mason came in, he has been able to recruit the in state prospects and made this team much better. Yup - I am on the bandwagon.

Anyways – my question is this for you college guru’s that know the BCS rankings and how the top 25 works. I posted the 3 big games that the Gophers play and will be heavy underdogs, but if they win those games and go undefeated in the big ten, would they be considered for a National Championship?

Sep 4 - Toledo W63-24

Sep 11 - Illinois State

Sep 18 - @Colorado State

Sep 25 - Northwestern

Oct 2 - Penn State

Oct 9 - @Michigan

Oct 16 - @Michigan State

Oct 23 - Illinois

Oct 30 - @Indiana

Nov 6 - @Wisconsin

Nov 13 - Iowa

Edit: I would be more interested in college football if they had a 8-10 team playoff. Otherwise, there is no National Champion???? Its your word against his - right?

Edited by Outshined

The Golden Gophers #23 –reasons why the can be both a bust and a sleeper.

Last year: 10-3

Sleeper: They field one of the best rushing attacks in NCAA. Last year, both Maroney and Barber rushed for over 1000 yds and a combined 27tds. The 30th time in NCAA history that it has happened. They can become the 1st team in NCAA history to do it in consecutive years. Last year they were ranked 3rd in the nation with 313 yds per game.

1st game – they put up 464 yds on the ground.

Bust: The defense is young with 7 returning starters and most are sophomore and juniors. They just need to do an average job as the offense should keep them in most games. This will be the question, are they good enough to keep them in the big games. If they fall, this will be the reason.

Schedule: They do not play Ohio State this year, but they play big games @Mich 10/9, @Wisc 11/6 and IOWA 11/13.

I guess if they win these big games might have a chance at the Rose Bowl, but it will be very tough. I do not really follow College Football all that much due to the fact I follow Pro and College Hockey, but since Mason came in, he has been able to recruit the in state prospects and made this team much better.  Yup - I am on the bandwagon.

Anyways – my question is this for you college guru’s that know the BCS rankings and how the top 25 works. I posted the 3 big games that the Gophers play and will be heavy underdogs, but if they win those games and go undefeated in the big ten, would they be considered for a National Championship?

Sep 4  - Toledo  W63-24

Sep 11 - Illinois State

Sep 18  - @Colorado State

Sep 25 -  Northwestern

Oct 2  -  Penn State

Oct 9  -  @Michigan

Oct 16  -  @Michigan State

Oct 23  -  Illinois

Oct 30  -  @Indiana

Nov 6  -  @Wisconsin

Nov 13  - Iowa

Edit: I would be more interested in college football if they had a 8-10 team playoff. Otherwise, there is no National Champion???? Its your word against his - right?

390156[/snapback]

Thank you for this post. It describes perfectly what I was arguing above, because IF this were to happen, Ohio State ( the team taht you dont play) would ( with the right scenario would screw Minnesota out of a NC bid. This is why...

Michigan , in the pre-rankings, is the top dog in the big 10, with Ohio State being the solid number 2. Without a conference championship, and no Ohio State on the schedule would seriously hinder their NC chances ( especially with a strong BCS field as well). With Minn's hypothetical scenario here .. there are 2 outcomes out of this.

1. Minn goes undefeated, Ohio State loses to Michigan ( mich only loses to Minn)... UGA wins the SEC, Texas wins the Big 12, Fl State wins the ACC, WVA wins the Big eas(y)t, Minn 'wins' the Big 10, USC 'wins' the Pac 10.. and the 2 at large bids go to Michigan and OU. That means that most likely the NC game would be USC vs UGA ( thanks to SOS ). ... which means that Minn would go to the Rose bowl and play either Texas or OU. They wouldnt make the NC because of SOS ( strength of schedule).

2. Minn goes undefeated, Ohio State BEATS Michigan ( sending them off to a mid grade bowl with 2 losses), but with that Win Ohio State goes undefeated as well. Big problem. Ohio State is in play in the BCS field , and ranked higher than Minn would be ... which means the best that Minn could hope for is an at Large bid and the 3 vs 4 game.... If Ohio State has 1 loss then thats where it gets tricky , and a conf championship could solve this very easily.

That is where the system is flawed. If Minn goes undefeated, then they would be rewarded with a BCS game - but most likely an 'outside looking in " shot at the NC game because of the strength of the field in play for the NC.

Now, say there was a conference championship in place , and Minn goes undefeated in the regular season.. beats Ohio State in the Big 10 championship... then they have a legitimate chance at the NC because of winning a power conference.They would recieve a BCS auto bid for winning the Conference, and then the BCS formula would kick in.

Playoff you say. Well thats where the NCAA gets convoluted because what I am describing ( conf championships for all in play conferences). Say Minn, USC, UGA and Texas all go undefeated, then that is simple enough. 3 games to decide the NC ... 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 and then winner vs winner. Simple enough. The playoff should be Only used to determine who plays in the NC game if there are more than 3 teams in play. SOS may not come into play for the regular season - but in post season it is a must to determine the last contender in the event of an odd number ( say 3 undefeated teams). Then the 4th team would be the top ranked contender based off of national rankings and SOS. The BCS formula could generate who that would be.

Thats the easy way to do it. Its also the most fair way to do it. A team taht doesnt win their division needs to pray for an odd number and an AT large bid based off of SOS ( with a max of 8 teams in play for an NC).

So in short - IF this were to happen, with the existing BCS in place, - I think Minn would be screwed, and play in the Rose bowl at best.

-Grodin