[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL voting on changing extra point

DMD

If extra points are not automatic and end up getting many more 2 point tries, the value of kickers goes from almost nothing to closer to nothing.

http://www.usatoday....tebow/27529223/

Team owners are preparing to review three proposals this week to change the extra point — including one that moves the line of scrimmage for the point after kick attempt from the 2-yard line to the 15, changing a chip-shot to what amounts to a more challenging 32- or 33-yard field goal.

The idea is to spice up a play that had become so routine that it is typically an afterthought, with NFL kickers making more than 99 % of all extra points in each of the past five seasons. The idea is, that by making the extra point more challenging, coaches might be convinced to attempt the more difficult two-point conversion with more frequency.

"I know they want more aggression from the standpoint of what's going on and encouraging you to go for it and those types of things," Denver Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak said.

All three proposals — one each submitted by the
New England Patriots
Philadelphia Eagles
, and one from the league's competition committee — include moving the line of scrimmage to the 15 for PAT attempts.

T
wo of the proposals — Philadelphia's and the NFL's — also include changes to the two-point conversion and would allow the defense to score points on the play,
such as in the case of an interception or a fumble return. The Eagles' two-point conversion proposal would also place the ball at the 1-yard line (it's currently snapped from the 2).

These proposals are more moderate than previous options — like the experiment last preseason to snap the ball from the 20 for extra points, or the Pro Bowl experiment to narrow the uprights — Indianapolis Colts star Adam Vinatieri struggled badly with those — or the idea to eliminate the PAT altogether.

Though owners weren't ready to vote on any tweaks during league meetings in March, there is momentum to push through a change at the next round of owners meetings Tuesday and Wednesday in San Francisco. A proposal needs the approval of 24 of the 32 owners to pass.

5]If one of those initiatives passes, it would be the first significant scoring change to the game in recent history. The NFL implemented the two-point try in 1994.

A few less extra points won't change their value much. But these changes are stupid. Put the ball on the 1 inch line if you want more 2 point attempts.

Make retracting goal posts that narrow to 10' for XP's would be my vote.

They should just make all extra points be 50 yard kicks so most everyone would just go for two. Then you could make fantasy scoring for kickers have six point field goals and they would start to matter.

The extra point as it is today is stupid, the proposed rule changes are stupid, past proposed rule changes were stupid, and future proposed rule changes will be stupid as well. It is indeed a hard nut to crack.

The extra point as it is today is stupid, the proposed rule changes are stupid, past proposed rule changes were stupid, and future proposed rule changes will be stupid as well. It is indeed a hard nut to crack.

Good morning, sunshine.

If the goal is enticing greater attempts at the more difficult 2pt conversion, just make that worth 3pts...the extra point is exactly that, 1 point, so it should be somewhat simplistic. I didn't see success rate for 2pt conversion attempts, but if the risk/reward went from a decision of "go for 2 over guaranteed 1, though might get 0" to "go for 3 over guaranteed 1...", I think you'd see an uptick in attempts

• Like 1

How about not changing it if there isn't a good solution. If all the suggestions suck, just keep it the same.

I don't see what is stupid about the current situation that needs to be changed. Has golf looked at the number of puts made from 1 or 2 inches and decided to just make them automatic if they're converted at a 95% clip. Or any other sport decided to remove a routine type play because it is nearly automatic.

I swear some people just look to change things to make their mark on the game, to add excitement and other BS. The NFL is the most popolar sport in the US, it doesn't need gimmicks to make it exciting. Is anybody turning off the game because of the "boring XP"? I may zip through more of them when watching on DVR but I also skip 15-30 seconds between plays, how are they going to address that.

My proposal would be to make the player who scored the TD kick the extra point! Lineman falls on a fumble in the endzone - c'mon fatty - time to stretch that foot up higher than your ankle!

Marshawn Lynch wants to grab his nutz while jumping backwards into the endzone - lets see if you can put one through the uprights, ya cocky prick! :)

• Like 1

"The NFL is moving back extra-point kicks and allowing defenses to score on 2-point conversion turnovers.

The owners on Tuesday approved the competition committee's proposal to snap the ball from the 15-yard line on PATs to make them more challenging. In recent seasons, kickers made more than 99 percent of the kicks with the ball snapped from the 2.

That proposal places the 2-point conversion at the 2, and allows the defense to return a turnover to the other end zone for the two points, similar to the college rule. The defense can also score two points by returning a botched kick.

The vote was 30-2. Washington and Oakland voted no. The rule change will be reviewed after one year.

New England and Philadelphia also made suggestions on changing the extra point, but the owners went with the powerful committee's recommendation."

My proposal would be to make the player who scored the TD kick the extra point! Lineman falls on a fumble in the endzone - c'mon fatty - time to stretch that foot up higher than your ankle!

Marshawn Lynch wants to grab his nutz while jumping backwards into the endzone - lets see if you can put one through the uprights, ya cocky prick! :)

yes! :lol:

I'll be shocked if the XP% is below 98. All the FG%s that I've seen have been for ranges and the longer the range the more skewed the number will be down. Also, an XP is much different than a FG in that it is untimed which means less stress and the fact that it's only worth 1 point versus 3 also means less pressure. The added pressure will come when it's late and the XP will tie or give a team the lead but still, like I said, I'll be shocked if it's below 98%.

There is reaction because it's a rule change to something that has become a staple of the game. And there isn't really a change considering it won't change the game that much. Hook, am I missing something? What do you like about the change and how will it affect the game we watch? I highly doubt more teams go for two.

If you want change, eliminate the 1 point option and have teams go for 2 every time. It becomes a meaningful play that will also excite those watching to see what happens.

It might also allow the Seahawks to practice their short yardage redzone packages a little more.

I like the change as well. It gives a chance at a more exciting play than just the easy one. When a team scores I might actually watch the play rather than running for a beer or relieving the last beer.

Would not the kickers value go up as it makes them more valuable to more then 93% accurate?

I think it is a move in the right direction. The old extra point is too easy. I think the new longer extra point will not be as much of a sure thing, and will encourage teams to think outside the box. Somebody (Eagles?) will try going for two every time, and it will shake up the game. I also like the fact the defense can now score on the extra point attempts.