[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL voting on changing extra point

DMD

I would say the old extra point is like the free throw but some players struggle with even that easy of a shot. I have never understood how a basketball player who has taken that exact same shot a million times with no interference cannot sink every one.

Somebody (Eagles?) will try going for two every time, and it will shake up the game.

Could be a legitimate use for Tebow, considering his success rate in close range situations.

I don't have a big problem with the rule change - I like the defense being able to score now. I don't think we'll see a whole lot more 2-pt attempts at the beginning of the year, but as the season progresses and the weather gets worse in some places, I could see an uptick.

I would say the old extra point is like the free throw but some players struggle with even that easy of a shot. I have never understood how a basketball player who has taken that exact same shot a million times with no interference cannot sink every one.

I'd argue a swing of the foot is more consistent than a shooting motion. There are more moving parts when shooting a basketball. Plus, with a basketball, less of space "to miss" compared to the size between field goal posts.

But, to further this completely pointless and arcane tangent, kicking a football entails three people touching the ball while eight others try to block 11 guys. A free throw is entirely undefended, is only 15 feet away and some of these guys are releasing the ball nearly at the same height as the goal. Obviously there is a far greater margin of error with an extra point kick so I get that. But still how is it that the most simple, easiest shot in basketball is not pretty much automatic? I knew a kid who could drain a three from the corner every time as long as he wasn't being defended. What is so hard about a free throw? Isn't a free throw the only manner in which a player can score that is undefended? I cannot think of any other sport with undefended scoring.

But, to further this completely pointless and arcane tangent, kicking a football entails three people touching the ball while eight others try to block 11 guys. A free throw is entirely undefended, is only 15 feet away and some of these guys are releasing the ball nearly at the same height as the goal. Obviously there is a far greater margin of error with an extra point kick so I get that. But still how is it that the most simple, easiest shot in basketball is not pretty much automatic? I knew a kid who could drain a three from the corner every time as long as he wasn't being defended. What is so hard about a free throw? Isn't a free throw the only manner in which a player can score that is undefended? I cannot think of any other sport with undefended scoring.

Specialization...only the kicker, who trains solely and specifically to kick the ball, is asked to perform it. In basketball, every single player will eventually have to shoot a free throw; and 2, if not 3, players on court for team in basketball train almost entirely for movements 5-7 feet from the hoop and closer. Size plays a big role, too. Can't imagine having hands like Shaq and trying to delicately toss the ball in the hoop from 10 feet; it'd be like asking me to drain a majority of my beer pong shots

I'll be shocked if the XP% is below 98. All the FG%s that I've seen have been for ranges and the longer the range the more skewed the number will be down. Also, an XP is much different than a FG in that it is untimed which means less stress and the fact that it's only worth 1 point versus 3 also means less pressure. The added pressure will come when it's late and the XP will tie or give a team the lead but still, like I said, I'll be shocked if it's below 98%.

One more thing I saw pointed out in another discussion, the FG is kicked from one hash mark or the other, unless they got it lined up in the middle. The XP can be spotted where they want, which is usually the middle. And a larger percentage of those are makes. The stats the person provided actually showed FG kicked from 30-35 from the middle last year were made at about 1% higher than the XP were. :hscratch:

Would be funny if they find after 1 year that a larger percentage of XP are made now with the rule change.

I'm still not in favor, didn't think it needed to be changed. I do like that they at least made it a 1 year trial sort of thing, which has become common for many rules changes.