[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peterson still not back on the Vikings bus...

DMD

I'm glad I washed myself of this whole mess. Traded him away in a multi player deal landing me McCoy. If he lands on a RB needy team, good for him. The Vikes hold all the cards in this one though. He may feel slighted, but I think he's getting horrible advice from his camp by sitting out.

• Like 3

Peterson's Agent has siphoned off all of his potential trade value by the way he has handled this. The Vikings won't trade him for less than his perceived value to the team. They would rather have him sit out the entire year than to take pennies on the dollar and have him assist another team (which could end up hurting their own potential playoff run). If Peterson really wanted to be traded, the only smart move would be to show up to the Vikings OTAs and Camps, ensuring that any possible trade value stays high.

fwiw, in NFL history only two players (Walter Payton (twice) & Curtin Martin) age 30 or older with 2000 or more carries to start the season have had 1400+ total yards and double digit TDs.

Edited by keggerz

fwiw, in NFL history only two players (Walter Payton (twice) & Curtin Martin) age 30 or older with 2000 or more carries to start the season have had 1400+ total yards and double digit TDs.

AP has proven in the past that he's an absolute freak.. He should benefit from Norv Turners system. I'd say if anyone else were to do it at age 30, it would be him.

I won't be shocked one bit when Peterson makes it 3.

• Like 1

Assuming he's in decent game shape by September, I think the year off may help him more than it hurts him. If nothing else, it's one less year of wear and tear, and I think it makes the fact that he's 30 slightly less of a concern. I certainly wouldn't bet against him. He has defied the odds throughout his career, particularly in 2012... from the unprecedented quick return from the devastating knee injury, to carrying the Vikings on his back to the playoffs (and coming within yards of the NFL rushing record).

He's also put up good/great numbers on some pretty bad offenses, and this is arguably one of the better offenses that he's been a part of, at least on paper. With a relatively favorable schedule this year, I would say that those numbers are closer to his floor than his ceiling, assuming he can stay healthy. Obviously, that's not a guarantee, but if he plays 15-16 games, I think he's good for 1500 total yards and 10+ scores. He's averaged roughly 115 total yards/game over the course of his career, and again, I think this offense is better than the majority of those were.

AP has only hit that 1400+ yarda and 10 TDs mark twice, and those were 2 of the 3 years he started all 16 games. He's done 1200+ and 10 TDs 6 of his 7 seasons (tossing out 2014). Only time he missed that mark was 2011 when he played in only 12 games (and had his lowest number of carries, even lower than his rookie year when he only started 9 games).

I wouldn't bet against him either, but he hasn't produced those 1400+/10TDs regularly, so it shouldn't be expected. Also if the offense if better, more balanced, with a better QB and some receivers, I'd expect his numbers to decline some as they use him less and pass more.

I can't believe anyone pays one bit of attention to what happens in MAY. It's MAY ffs.

I don't get this, don't people pay attention to the combine, free agency, draft, OTAs, etc. All of that stuff is long before the season starts. This is news and discussion of a star NFL player wanting a trade, then finally reporting to camp. Its not like we're talking about some worthless player like Tim Tebow. :out:

AP has only hit that 1400+ yarda and 10 TDs mark twice, and those were 2 of the 3 years he started all 16 games. He's done 1200+ and 10 TDs 6 of his 7 seasons (tossing out 2014). Only time he missed that mark was 2011 when he played in only 12 games (and had his lowest number of carries, even lower than his rookie year when he only started 9 games).

I wouldn't bet against him either, but he hasn't produced those 1400+/10TDs regularly, so it shouldn't be expected. Also if the offense if better, more balanced, with a better QB and some receivers, I'd expect his numbers to decline some as they use him less and pass more.

I think you're mistaken. I'm guessing that you're talking rushing yards (but the original statement said "total yards"). Between 2007 and 2013 (in the seven seasons in which he played 12 or more games), he's surpassed 1400 total yards AND had 10+ scores every year except 2011, when he only played 12 games (and blew out his knee). That year, he only amassed 1109 total yards (but did still have 13 scores).

In fact, in the majority of the other seasons, he exceeded one or both of those numbers by a decent amount.... 13+ TD's in five of seven seasons, and 1600+ total yards five times as well (for an AVERAGE of 1687 total yards per season). I'm not including last year, when he played just one game, obviously.

2007 - 1609 yards and 13 TD's

2008 - 1885 yards and 10 TD's

2009 - 1819 yards and 18 TD's

2010 - 1639 yards and 13 TD's

2011 - 1109 yards and 13 TD's

2012 - 2314 yards :shocking: and 14 TD's

2013 - 1437 yards and 11 TD's

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeteAd01.htm

So, yeah, he has surpassed those numbers pretty regularly, with less of a supporting cast in some cases, not to mention less favorable schedules. I'll say it again... If he's healthy, those numbers are closer to his floor than his ceiling.

The other thing I'll say is that, with the exception of 2011, he's been remarkably durable. During the 6-year stretch from '08 to '13, he missed 7 games (4 of which were after the major knee injury). So, history is on his side, in terms of whether or not he'll play enough to hit those numbers.

Now, the one big variable is how will the year off impact him. I think it could certainly help, in terms of being fresh. On the other hand, there's a fine line between "fresh" and "rusty." It wouldn't surprise me at all if he drops some balls (or maybe has some fumble issues) this year, particularly early in the year (or maybe pre-season).

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't bet against him, based on what he's done throughout his career.

I think you're mistaken. I'm guessing that you're talking rushing yards (but the original statement said "total yards"). Between 2007 and 2013 (in the seven seasons in which he played 12 or more games), he's surpassed 1400 total yards AND had 10+ scores every year except 2011, when he only played 12 games (and blew out his knee). That year, he only amassed 1109 total yards (but did still have 13 scores).

In fact, in the majority of the other seasons, he exceeded one or both of those numbers by a decent amount.... 13+ TD's in five of seven seasons, and 1600+ total yards five times as well (for an AVERAGE of 1687 total yards per season). I'm not including last year, when he played just one game, obviously.

2007 - 1609 yards and 13 TD's

2008 - 1885 yards and 10 TD's

2009 - 1819 yards and 18 TD's

2010 - 1639 yards and 13 TD's

2011 - 1109 yards and 13 TD's

2012 - 2314 yards :shocking: and 14 TD's

2013 - 1437 yards and 11 TD's

http://www.pro-footb.../P/PeteAd01.htm

So, yeah, he has surpassed those numbers pretty regularly, with less of a supporting cast in some cases, not to mention less favorable schedules. I'll say it again... If he's healthy, those numbers are closer to his floor than his ceiling.

:doh::bag: (looks for foot in mouth emoticon, settles on these)

Yep thought we were talking about rushing yards, ok then I give him a 80-90% chance of doing it.

I don't get this, don't people pay attention to the combine, free agency, draft, OTAs, etc. All of that stuff is long before the season starts. This is news and discussion of a star NFL player wanting a trade, then finally reporting to camp. Its not like we're talking about some worthless player like Tim Tebow. :out:

The Combine, Draft, Free Agency, etc aren't people saying, they are people doing. Peterson saying he wants a new deal is irrelevant. It's what he DOES, in August, that matters. If he doesn't show up to mandatory activities, if he's facing fines and loss of seniority to send a message, that would mean something. If they cut him, trade him, sue him, that matters. Wake me up when someone does something.

The Combine, Draft, Free Agency, etc aren't people saying, they are people doing. Peterson saying he wants a new deal is irrelevant. It's what he DOES, in August, that matters. If he doesn't show up to mandatory activities, if he's facing fines and loss of seniority to send a message, that would mean something. If they cut him, trade him, sue him, that matters. Wake me up when someone does something.

Oh, hi. Does showing up for OTAs count as "doing something"? Or am I missing something here? :unsure:

• Like 1

My point was that it's (now, for the smartasses) June yet people are all in a tizzy about what AP is saying/wanting/talking with his contract. Whether he shows up to OTA's or not, or shows up in diapers, or watches from across the street - none of it matter in June. All the blustering by AP and consternation by fans/haters is like a big fart. It stinks for a few minutes but with a stiff breeze it's forgotten. If it rolled over into mandatory camp, had he not shown, had he demanded a contract adjustment with guarantees in August, well now that would be news.

Whatever, if you don't want to discuss it then don't. Others think it is a topic worth discussing, so we have. Do things matter more later as we get into OTA, camp, pre-season, sure. But that doesn't mean all of what he was saying before doesn't matter or isn't worth discussing.

We all know that coaches and GMs talking in the weeks before the draft are very rarely being honest. But there is a lot of disussion of those topics in most places interested in football anyway.

Maybe you should take a break from the football discussions and come back when it interests you more, and leave the rest of us alone.

Unbunch your panties man. All I said is I'm surprised people put any stock in it. You feel free to discuss whatever you want and I'll feel free to think what I think.

Well you sure sounded like your panties were chocking off your blood flow. Like this was the first time people were discussing things a player said about holding out, demanding a trade, and such in May. Why else make several posts about it, and counter those saying it was worth discussiong.