[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which team improved the most this offseason?

DMD

Offseason 2015  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which team improved the most with free agents and the draft?

• BUF - LeSean McCoy, Percy Harvin and Charles Clay
    • IND - Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Philip Dorsett
    • MIA - Jay Ajayi, Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker, Jordan Cameron
    • NYJ - Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, Stevan Ridley, Zac Stacy, Brandon Marshall, Devin Smith
    • OAK - Trent Richardson, Amari Cooper, Michael Crabtree
    • STL - Nick Foles, Todd Gurley
    • TEN - Marcus Mariota, David Cobb, Dorial Green-Beckham, Harry Doublas

And, I might add, 25 rushes per game really isn't all that much, for a team. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's below average. But, it's also not the best indicator of how much a team relies on rushing. A better indicator would be a breakdown of percentages, between rush/pass.

They did that last year. Under Rex, it might be 30+ times/game.

I had to look to see if that was actually right, and was shocked to see that it was :lol:

I guess I look at their 2014 stats with a grain of salt, because with Orton and Manuel and limited and/or new-to-the-mix weapons on the outside, they almost HAD to run. Teams saw it coming, and could stack the line. Hence the sub-4 YPC.

I have a feeling Harvin, steadier play at the QB position, and a better overall offensive gameplan will change that a bit.

Surprised PHL wasn't brought up as at least an option to vote.....ya know, since they added the league's leading rusher in Demarco Murray, a solid #2 in Ryan Matthews, a #1 WR thread in Nelson Agholor & a QB who miles ahead of Sanchez in Sam Bradford. They should be a better, more consistent, more drive-sustaining offense than in recent years.

But is Bradford really that much better than Foles? Is Murray that much better than Shady? Is Agholor that much better than Maclin? They added quite a few good players, but lost several as well. I think the only definite gain out of that list is Matthews, who will be a better RB2 than Polk.

• Like 1

But is Bradford really that much better than Foles? Is Murray that much better than Shady? Is Agholor that much better than Maclin? They added quite a few good players, but lost several as well. I think the only definite gain out of that list is Matthews, who will be a better RB2 than Polk.

:thinking:

Doesn't matter if they're "better". Chip Kelly has a system. If you don't fit, you're not going to work out.

Foles did not fit the read option. Bradford's skill set fits better. He ran a similar type of offense at OU and is just better suited for Kelly's offense.

Ditto with McCoy vs. Murray. McCoy is more of a creative runner, but with that he gets himself into trouble. Murray is a one-cut and go runner, again which fits the system better. Again, we're not talking about which player is "better". We're talking about what player fits the system "better".

As for Agholor vs. Maclin, well I guess we'll see. Kelly backs his system 100% and feels he can plug and play. Maybe we'll see that Maclin wasn't actually all that great. Maybe we'll see that Kelly is a blowhard that believes in this system to a fault and he'll be out of the league in 2-3 years.

Edited by darin3

I think when he said "which NFL offense" that kind of eliminated Suh from needing to be mentioned. You know, since he plays defense...

His topic and poll title is misleading then: "Which team improved the most with free agents and the draft?" It should read "Which offense improved the most this offseason?"

But yeah - I went back and saw in his initial post it stated offense. No one ever accused me of paying attention to fine details.

I'm a homer and I already voted Colts - but this just further puts them ahead of everyone else IMO. Veteran stud WR, veteran STUD RB, and a young speedster who will fill in immediately.

Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 1

From the Moran files....somehow I must have hit 'full version' on my phone and can't figure out how to get back to the mobile version. Help?

Very very bottom farthest to the left it says "Use mobile version". As far down and to the left you can go.

From the Moran files....somehow I must have hit 'full version' on my phone and can't figure out how to get back to the mobile version. Help?

Ask a SF Giants fan. They're used to winning - they can help you..

:thinking:

Doesn't matter if they're "better". Chip Kelly has a system. If you don't fit, you're not going to work out.

Foles did not fit the read option. Bradford's skill set fits better. He ran a similar type of offense at OU and is just better suited for Kelly's offense.

Ditto with McCoy vs. Murray. McCoy is more of a creative runner, but with that he gets himself into trouble. Murray is a one-cut and go runner, again which fits the system better. Again, we're not talking about which player is "better". We're talking about what player fits the system "better".

As for Agholor vs. Maclin, well I guess we'll see. Kelly backs his system 100% and feels he can plug and play. Maybe we'll see that Maclin wasn't actually all that great. Maybe we'll see that Kelly is a blowhard that believes in this system to a fault and he'll be out of the league in 2-3 years.

I guess what worries me about the new PHI offense is the much lower floor that comes along with the higher ceiling. It's hard to quantify risk, but the greater risk negates some of the increased upside IMO. Bradford and Murray have well-documented histories of injury. Agholor hasn't played a snap yet. Ryan Matthews also carries some significant durability concerns. If everything goes right, they're better, but with all the different risks involved I think it would take a great deal of luck for everything to go right. I guess it's just a matter of personal opinion, but I'm not sure how much of an 'improvement' that is.

Also, similar to what Sox alluded to with the Colts, the Eagles were already one of the top offenses in the league (5th, about 14 yards/game out of 1st). Hard to be the most improved when you're already in the top 5 - sure, they got better fits for the system, but the system wasn't exactly failing with the original personnel.

Also, similar to what Sox alluded to with the Colts, the Eagles were already one of the top offenses in the league (5th, about 14 yards/game out of 1st). Hard to be the most improved when you're already in the top 5 - sure, they got better fits for the system, but the system wasn't exactly failing with the original personnel.

I didn't even think about that, either. :doh:

They were top-5 with Sanchez running the show for half the season, with Jackson gone, and with McCoy having a down year as compared to 2013. That's sick. Chip Kelly is a freak to think he can keep adding by subtracting, but his madman methods are certainly interesting to watch and dissect. Reality is, they look better than last year with the simple fact that Sanchez isn't the QB1.

All that said, you are right, not sure there is a ton of room to improve enough to be labeled "most improved".

Why has no one even mentioned the Bears as most improved :sad: ?

I'm a homer and I already voted Colts - but this just further puts them ahead of everyone else IMO. Veteran stud WR, veteran STUD RB, and a young speedster who will fill in immediately.

The whole Gore acquisition seems to be a bit over hyped. He brings an upgrade in pass protection, but he's a wrong side of 30 back with a lot of mileage and has had limited use as a pass catcher since 2010. Just not seeing why everyone believes he is going to fix the Indy run game.

The whole Gore acquisition seems to be a bit over hyped.

He looked like he was running through molasses last year compared to Hyde. I'd project him putting up numbers a lot closer to Steven Jackson as a Falcon than a fantasy stud.

• Like 1

He looked like he was running through molasses last year compared to Hyde. I'd project him putting up numbers a lot closer to Steven Jackson as a Falcon than a fantasy stud.

Say that three times and you will summon the elf

• Like 1

The Jets and Bills may have made the best moves but neither has a trigger-man to actually improve the offense. The Colts win the poll somewhat by default IMO. At the end of the day (or season) it may very well be Philly though

I don't doubt that

Say that three times and you will summon the elf

I do doubt that. He's found a new board or 2 to troll

Whoa, nellie. I'm not sure anyone is calling the guy a fantasy stud. The guy was once a stud but yeah he's got plenty of miles on those tires. But in this offense, anyone not named T-Rich should be able to excel at least a little bit.

He's reliable and put him in tandem with the shifty Herron ... again, for this offense... and you should see some improvement in their run game and hell their offense overall.

I'm a homer and I already voted Colts - but this just further puts them ahead of everyone else IMO. Veteran stud WR, veteran STUD RB , and a young speedster who will fill in immediately.

Whoa, nellie. I'm not sure anyone is calling the guy a fantasy stud.

:unsure:

We got a real pet detective on our hands here..

I said he's a stud RB. Stud meaning he's better than anything they've had back there in years. Never said anything about fantasy stud. Gore's certainly an upgrade in that Indy backfield - not sure if I'd want him as my RB1 or RB2 this year though..

Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 1

I said he's a stud RB. Stud meaning he's better than anything they've had back there in years. Never said anything about fantasy stud. Gore's certainly an upgrade in that Indy backfield - not sure if I'd want him as my RB1 or RB2 this year though..

I would agree. At least they know what they're getting with Gore. Clearly, they did not with TRich. Gore is a guy that can help you move the chains. He's decent as a pass-catcher (was very good in his prime... catching 50+ balls per season). Lately, he's been closer to a catch per game, but I think that potentially could/should go up in Indy. And, he's a guy who can help in goal line/short yardage situations (another area where Richardson failed, for the most part). At the very least, Gore is somebody to help bring along the younger guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson or Herron plays a significant role this year, as well. In other words, I don't think Gore will be a workhorse, so to speak. He'll share time with one of them (or maybe even both). But, if you think about what the backfield would look like without him (those two plus ??), he's an upgrade.

Side notes on Gore...

If he surpasses 200 carries this season, it will be the 10th year in a row that he's done so. He's surpassed 225 in 8 of the last 9 seasons, and 240 in 7 of the last 9.

During that same 9-year stretch, Gore has AVERAGED just shy of 294 touches per season... About 20 per game. That's a pretty good 9-year run.

Since 2006, which was his first full season, Gore has missed 10 games, half of which came in 2010. That's just over a game per season (9 seasons), and he hasn't missed a game since that 2010 season (4 straight 16-game seasons, coming into 2015).

That, in and of itself, is pretty impressive. If nothing else, the guy has been reliable/durable. He hasn't missed a game in nearly half a decade.

:lol:

I guess our definition of "stud" differs. IMO, a stud is not defined as such because they happen to be better than what you had the prior three years. Bringing in a McCoy/Murray/etc would have been bringing in a stud RB. :shrug:

No harm, didn't mean to call you out. Just thought it was funny that Darin3 said "no one was calling him a stud", while a handful of posts earlier, you did. We do agree that he is an upgrade over TRich, and that he shouldn't be taken as an RB1 or RB2 in most leagues. :brew:

• Like 1

:lol:

I guess our definition of "stud" differs. IMO, a stud is not defined as such because they happen to be better than what you had the prior three years. Bringing in a McCoy/Murray/etc would have been bringing in a stud RB. :shrug:

No harm, didn't mean to call you out. Just thought it was funny that Darin3 said "no one was calling him a stud", while a handful of posts earlier, you did. We do agree that he is an upgrade over TRich, and that he shouldn't be taken as an RB1 or RB2 in most leagues. :brew:

I agree with this, for the most part, as well. Obviously, league size/format matters a bunch. I have Gore in a few leagues (mostly dynasty), but I also have Herron and/or Robinson in most of those as well. I also have Herron and/or Robinson in leagues where I don't have Gore. If I had to choose, I'd rather have those two than Gore, in dynasty formats, obviously. In redraft, I think it's the other way around. But, if I have to choose between Gore as my #2, and grabbing Herron/Robinson as my #5 and #6, I think I'd take the latter. I'd be concerned about Gore as my RB2 in leagues where I have to start two. But, if I can get him as my RB3 or a flex (or even as a RB2 in 16-team leagues), I think there's some value there.

I'll admit that I'm surprised with Gore's numbers he put up last year. Sill over 1,000 yards and 4.3 yards per carry. But, I'm still skeptical. 32 year old RBs that can keep putting up that kind of production are far and few. The drop between workhorse and relegation to spot carries is sudden.