[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anthony Davis (SF) Retires

theirish

Being a 49ers fan, I don't think I have ever seen a team lose so much talent and decline so quickly in one season due to so many different factors. He will be the 4th player to retire from the 49ers this year. Came out of left field for me and going to be missed as he was one of the best OTs out there. Stated due to concussions. And if that is the case i can only wish him the best, but still a big blow to this team.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/6/5/8738079/anthony-davis-49ers-retires-san-francisco-patrick-willis

That is just bizarre. To have four players retire and almost none gave any inkling they were going to do it. Plus waiting until now means there is no way to address the need in the draft or free agency (outside of scrubs that 31 other teams did not want). Looking more bleak for SF who also did nothing about their losses of the HC, OC and DC other than just pushing up underlings into the higher position in every case. The 49ers seem snakebit for a team that seemed so close to doing big things only a year or two ago.

Retire?

After a few years of thought, I've decided it will be best for me to take a year or so away from the NFL

Sensationalist media at it again.

Could he actually be retired? Possibly. But he was pretty clear that he was just taking a break.

I am pretty sure his rights remain with the 49ers. If you sit out a year from the NFL draft, I think you can re-enter the draft. But I cannot think of any veteran who sat out a year and was able to change teams.

So, if they all sit out a year do they get to reenter the NFL as free agents next season?

The NFL has a Reserve/Retired list and the contract is tolled. If he comes back, he remains under the original terms. Think of it like this - he didn't sign a contract for years 2015-2017, he signed a three year contract. If he's unavailable one of those years, it doesn't register as a contract year.

The same concept applies to Josh Gordon's suspension last year and why there was such hubub over it. When he was suspended for week 17, he therefore only qualified for 5 games that year and thus didn't earn an accrued season and basically repeats contract year 3 again in 2015 (now 2016, or whenever he gets back onto the field).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/josh-gordon/

Contract Notes:

• $3.7 million guaranteed (Signing Bonus + 2012-13 base + $380k of 2014 base)

• Signing Bonus: $2.324 million

• 2014-15 Workout Bonus: $50,000

• 2013 Suspension (2 Games/4 Games Pay)

• Guaranteed salary voided per suspensions

• Suspended for the entire 2014 season, contract tolled to 2015 ($825,604 salary)

Note the last line. His 2015 was scheduled for $1.068M, but was tolled so that 2014 = 2015, 2015 = 2016, and 2017 would be UFA year. His newest suspension isn't displayed here, and will again toll the contract to to 2016 and 2017 with 2018 being his UFA year (theoretically).

• Like 1

Interesting that site still shows Gordon info as of early 2014, saying he was suspended for all of 2014, when he wasn't, and was later reinstated. But you're spot on with his week 17 suspension being the reason that 2014 didn't count as an accrued season.

If a player could just sit out a year to get out of their contract plenty of players would have done it by now.