[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DRAFT STRATEGY: 5 picks in the first 3 rounds

jsage

I am in a 10 person PPR league with 1 flex spot. This year will be the league's first year as a keeper.

Last year I saw the writing on the wall that my team didn't have a chance. I sold off pieces and acquired 2 3rd rounders for this year. The draft order has not been chosen. My question is not about specific players to draft but what my strategy should be.

Do I draft balanced with these 5 picks? WR, WR, RB, RB, QB? Or do I go best available on the board hoping for a "game-changer" and using others as trade bait?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Personally i never go into a draft with any kind of pre-determined plan. I mean I'm not going to say I must go RB, WR, RB, WR then QB. I mean that just handcuffs you. Of course i think you go best avaialble, but at the same time, I wouldn't draft 5 RBs or 5 wrs or 3 qbs and try to trade pieces off. Most people see what you are up to and will make sure not to trade with you just so you pay for going with that mindset, mostly in a 10 man league. Just draft the best team possible and go with it.

I didn't mean the WR WR RB RB QB as an exact order, I just meant draft a well balanced team. Your advice of best available, but not necessarily thinking of them as trade bait, sounds in the middle and probably the safest bet.

I agree with theirish, you adapt your strategy as you go based on players. You've got to strike a balance to get the best overall team. If you're in a small league and you've got two solid rbs and a top wr, it's absolutely smart to reach for a qb a bit, even if they aren't the highest adp,because you could still get a Kelvin Benjamin with your next pick, and the drop from a top tier wr to Benjamin isn't as big as the drop from Rodgers or luck to the next tier. I wouldn't stray too far from bpa though: I've seen a lot of people in mocks reaching a long way for Kelce after Olsen is off the board, allowing me to load up at rb and wr. I can try to fill that need through trade or free agency later

I personally always go in with a draft strategy. Unless the scoring absolutely favors the qb I typically always go rb/rb sometimes rb/rb/rb. The guess you could say the league is more pass heavy now and if you look around there's not many teams with horse running backs. Some have 2 or 3 that spilt each game. If you can get 3 solid rbs to throw one in the flex, you'll love it. The strategy obv means you'll be passing up the top 3-4 qbs, mostly won't be getting dez, odb or Calvin, won't be getting gronk or graham. But to me TE and qb are always something you can wait on and especially WR is usually so deep. But at the end of the day it's your team. If you really love someone. Like last year I reached for Russell Wilson. It's better to get the team you want than regret missing someone all season.

Go BPA for all of the picks.

Assuming there are not strange scoring rules that make QBs score a ton of points and that the QB is not flex eligible, I'd tend to shy away from a QB that early and load up on RBs and WRs with those first 5 picks (or Gronk if TE is a separate spot and he is available to you)