[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Evans

I'm trying to evaluate Mike Evans worth in my .5 ppr league. I'm curious what you guys think. Not exactly advice of what to do, but do you think he's as high as various websites have been rating him? Every one I've looked at says he's a borderline WR1 for fantasy. But I look at his team and I dunno. There is not a WR3 to speak of worth mentioning that would take defenses attention away from Evans or Vincent Jackson. Doug Martin is...well you know Doug Martin. And Evans has a new QB. A supposedly star in the making QB, but still its his first year in the NFL. I'm finding it hard to have Evans as a top 12 WR. I'm thinking more like a around 15-20.

Just curious what 14-19 WR's you have in front of him? You'd pretty much have to have guys like Kelvin, Watkins, Cooks, and Hopkins ahead of him which is possible, but for me I'd prefer Evans to all of them besides MAYBE Hopkins(although his QB situation is just as questionable). To answer your question, No, I don't have Evans in my top 12 but he is just outside of it at 13. For me it is Brown, Dez, Thomas, OBJ, Julio, Calvin, Nelson, Green, Jeffery, Cobb, Hopkins, Hilton, Evans

Edited by willswear3

You are forgetting Greg Olsen, who is basically the WR3 on that team and a very good one. The biggest factor I can see is Jameis...but he's pretty much had a gun-slinger mentality so far and isn't afraid to put the ball up in the air for contention. I like Evans this year and have him ranked right behind Cobb and Hilton, which would put him about 10th on my list.

I appreciate the thought process, but Evans posted 68-1051-12 with only Mike Glennon and Josh McCown for QB. And he was a rookie learning a new system. And he complained that McCown was scared to throw to him in the second half of the year and wouldn't throw it up for 6-5 Evans to go up and get. He never had more and 54 yards in his final six games. I certainly think no less of Evans this year and I would expect him to at worst stand pat and more likely improve.

Just curious what 14-19 WR's you have in front of him? You'd pretty much have to have guys like Kelvin, Watkins, Cooks, and Hopkins ahead of him which is possible, but for me I'd prefer Evans to all of them besides MAYBE Hopkins(although his QB situation is just as questionable). To answer your question, No, I don't have Evans in my top 12 but he is just outside of it at 13. For me it is Brown, Dez, Thomas, OBJ, Julio, Calvin, Nelson, Green, Jeffery, Cobb, Hopkins, Hilton, Evans

Right now I'm thinking these guys are ahead of him for sure

D. Thomas, Brown, Bryant, Green, C. Johnson, J. Jones, Nelson, Jeffery, Beckham, Hilton, Sanders, Cooks, Benjamin, Cobb

Hopkins is on the border for me, I don't like houston's offense this year at all. Too much leaning on Foster will be done due to a mediocre, if that, QB and only one decent WR(Hopkins). To much defense focusing on Hopkins and the run. I'm wondering if that will lead to more 3 WR sets and thus not much success in passing. At least we can feel more secure in our skepticism of Hopkins.

I appreciate the thought process, but Evans posted 68-1051-12 with only Mike Glennon and Josh McCown for QB. And he was a rookie learning a new system. And he complained that McCown was scared to throw to him in the second half of the year and wouldn't throw it up for 6-5 Evans to go up and get. He never had more and 54 yards in his final six games. I certainly think no less of Evans this year and I would expect him to at worst stand pat and more likely improve.

I realize that. Its why I'm undecided. Bleh offense, great player with a great rookie year. So its like 40/60 he's in the top 12. Need more certainty if I decide about him. Of course I'm also fighting the "If I keep him he'll bust" superstition. : )

Right now I'm thinking these guys are ahead of him for sure

D. Thomas, Brown, Bryant, Green, C. Johnson, J. Jones, Nelson, Jeffery, Beckham, Hilton, Sanders, Cooks, Benjamin, Cobb

Hopkins is on the border for me, I don't like houston's offense this year at all. Too much leaning on Foster will be done due to a mediocre, if that, QB and only one decent WR(Hopkins). To much defense focusing on Hopkins and the run. I'm wondering if that will lead to more 3 WR sets and thus not much success in passing. At least we can feel more secure in our skepticism of Hopkins.

I think we're just a different spots on him then. I think there is just as much of a question on guys like Sanders(new system that is run heavy and benefits the WR1 on the roster while the WR2 tends to struggle a bit), Benjamin(love the guy but he still makes too many mistakes and doesn't have a particularly diverse route tree), Cooks(Saints should focus on the run much more and Cooks is now a WR1 on their roster. Should increase his targets, but also will mean more of a focus by the defense on him), and Hopkins(Even worse QB situation than Evans)

It really depends on Jameis. He locked onto Green last year at FSU to the tune of 99 catches. It leads me to believe he is going to find somebody to be his security blanket. If it is Evans,he'll have a huge year. If it is Jackson, Evans becomes a little hit or miss.

• Like 1

The only time we actually saw Mike Evans play up to his abilities last year was in the three week span between weeks 9-11 where he exploded and went 21-458-5. Mike Evans has both the crazy high ceiling OBJ talent and the field commanding size (6-5, 230 lbs) to decimate opposing defenses. I liken his touchdown-hauling abilities to Dez Bryant as he seems to play his best near the goal line. Add in the fact that he now has a high ceiling, potential top 10 quarterback throwing to him and I see a huge year out of the sophomore. To say that he's outside of the top 12 is ridiculous. He was the 11th best wide receiver last year as an unhappy, raw rookie with little to no quarterback assistance. In this brand new situation, no one should be surprised if he finishes top 3. He's the receiver you want this year and you can get him for cheaper than Alshon Jeffery.

• Like 1

He's a tweener, in my opinion, in a 12-team league. Great to have as your WR2, but I'd rather not have him as my WR1 UNLESS my WR2 and WR3 are pretty solid. So, yeah, I think he belongs right in that 12-15 range, honestly. I would, however, take Hopkins over Evans. Just too many things (in my opinion) indicating that Hopkins is a rising star, to worry all that much about the Houston offense. He may not score that many TD's, but I think he'll be a PPR beast with or without the TD's.