[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bishop Sankey

Dolphin_Akie

Rough year last year as a rookie but what are people's thoughts and expectations this year?

Tempting when looking at ADP based on rookie David Cobb being his only competition and the possibility that the O-line probably can't be much worse as well as the hope that they'll have better QB play with Mariota.

Hope he keeps the starting job and will see an uptick in his touches and production as I own him in a few dynasty leagues, but I feel like Cobb is going to come in a steal quite a few touches. Considering Sankey couldn't get the job all to himself ahead of Shonn Greene... SHONN GREEN it doesn't give me much hope that he'll be able to become a bellcow with David Cobb in the backfield now. Hopefully I'm wrong but we'll see.

If you can grab him "late", he's the kind of guy who'll either boom or bust.... and if he busts, it would stand to reason that not only was Sankey's performance underwhelming, but Cobb would have to at least impress to some degree.

That said, if you are able to get Sankey late... you better grab and stash Cobb.

I will say the same exact thing I said here last preseason and took a beating over from the guys "in the know", as they like to brag. He isn't talented enough to be a productive NFL back. He's much smaller than he plays, and he isn't fast. He's all heart. The most yards he had in any game last year was 61, and they gave him opportunities. He isn't capable of breaking long runs or putting up big games. He started at UW directly after Chris Polk, and Chris Polk was by far the better NFL prospect. I love Bishop and admire how hard he played at UW, but he just isn't an NFL caliber talent. If you take him, you are wasting a pick. There should be no situation that arises where you would ever start him. Spend that pick on an extra WR, or a talented backup RB that you might actually start if there is an injury.

Edited by Seahawks21

Cobb is the definition of JAG. Athletically, he is Shonn Green. As for pass protection, he rated near the bottom in FBS accoring to College Football Focus. He caught a whole 33 passes over his last two years in college. I don't see him posing much of a threat to Sankey at all.

Sankey was not all terrible last year either. He averaged 2.5 yards after contact per carry last year and did it consistently. He was ranked 9th in the league in PFF elusive ranking. He was vastly superior to Cobb as a prospect. His athetic profile is elite and he was basically the entire offense in his final year at UW.

The biggest threat to Sankey being fantasy relevant is the terribleness of the Titans offense and the stupidity of Ken Wisenhunt. If the Titans continue to harm their offense by running plays that include Dexter McCluster, they will not sustain many drives.

Mariota could be the difference between the Titans moving from terrible to average in terms of producing fantasy points. As an elite rushing QB, he could be enough to keep defenses off balance and make that OL look better than it is.

I love the Sankey hate because it is making him cheap to acquire. His floor is very low due to usage concerns but his ceiling is very high due to his quality as a prospect. If the Titans offense can marginally improve, Sankey could be a top 10 PPR RB.

wow... extreme opposites of opinions on Sankey here. Don't know what to think on this one. Have to decide whether or not to make Sankey one of my keepers in one league. He's one of the few eligible players from my roster. Or I can trade with another team to acquire a better keeper, but it will cost me a pick for the trade.

Edited by Dcat

I'm not really doubting the talent I'm doubting the situation. Below average offensive line on a team that has shown no interest in making him a workhorse. If I knew he'd get 15-20 touches a game I'd have no problem with him as a flex play, I'm just not convinced.

Sankey showed nothing last year and the questions about his grasp of fundamentals continue. So, if you think this year is going to be materially different then the question we ask is why?

A rookie QB that can run seem like two reasons things won't get better. I'll pass on Sankey for now pending either some better news on his status or an ADP that starts falling significantly. Could be a different world in late August but for now I am not optimistic.

Of course the day Im like I should try to add a possible starting RB to my roster and I somehow settle on Sankey, Dolphin makes a post asking how we feel about him an hour later. And of course the guy with Sankey is Whiskey Bent, the only guy high on Sankey lol

• Like 1

Of course the day Im like I should try to add a possible starting RB to my roster and I somehow settle on Sankey, Dolphin makes a post asking how we feel about him an hour later. And of course the guy with Sankey is Whiskey Bent, the only guy high on Sankey lol

That is pretty funny.

But don't blame Dolphin...I have been a Sankey truther since his combine.

And I am open to trading him but suspect that you will not approve of the price.

Edited by BA Baracus

Its funny I was looking at PFF's stats the other day and he was ranked 10th last year in elusiveness ahead of Mccoy, Murray, Miller, and Forte. He was also 19th best in missed tackles. Im not completely sold on that, but it was enough to check what Sankey owners thought of him and I just ran into the only Sankey truther.

Sankey showed nothing last year and the questions about his grasp of fundamentals continue. So, if you think this year is going to be materially different then the question we ask is why?

A rookie QB that can run seem like two reasons things won't get better. I'll pass on Sankey for now pending either some better news on his status or an ADP that starts falling significantly. Could be a different world in late August but for now I am not optimistic.

Obviously every situation is different, but I don't know why a running QB would hurt his value... Look at the stats of Alfred Morris with RG3 and with out, they are significantly better WITH.

Obviously every situation is different, but I don't know why a running QB would hurt his value... Look at the stats of Alfred Morris with RG3 and with out, they are significantly better WITH.

I'll agree with this but offer up exhibit A as your own Cam Newton - the issue is that early in their careers before they get comfortable with the offense and their progressions these QBs revert to what they know and are more likely to take off on the run for the TD. If Mariota's running 'em in then Sankey is not.

Before you decide if he is any good or whether or not you should keep him, just check out his tape. That's all you gotta do. The answer is there.

He was #32 in YPC. Plays for a bad offense and bad team. Has zero breakaway ability and has about a 165 lb. frame. He's elusive, he's quick, we all know that, but it doesn't matter if you juke a LB if you're not fast enough to get away from the rest of them. If you draft or keep him, you are wasting a spot on a player that you will never start once for as long as you own him. The upside is 61 yards. A talented rookie will at least show flashes and get you up around 100 at least ONCE. Nobody here has watched Sankey anywhere near as much as I have, nobody here loves him nearly as much as I do. Heck, half the games of Madden I played last year were with the Titans just so I could try to beat people with him. I'm sorry, but he isn't a NFL caliber RB. He just isn't. Super nice kid, works his butt off. The size of his heart overmatched college players, but that's all he brings to the table, and that just isn't going to cut it in this league.

Edited by Seahawks21
  • Like 1