[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mark Ingram

ImNotSoIgnorant

So I've been paying attention to Mark Ingram's rankings because I'm considering keeping him as my RB2, particularly since its a keeper league and I got him off waivers.

Various sites listed him in the top 20 for a while, but now recently checking he's gone way down. I realize Spiller will eat a lot into touches, but Ingram's now below 25 in all of the ones I look at, behind seemingly lesser RBs(and their situations).

He did quite well after he came back last season. Came in around 15th in all RBs.

So what am I missing? Thoughts?

The addition of Max Unger helps. The subtraction of Jimmy Graham probably helps, too. And the Saints probably aren't lying when they say they want to run the ball more. But Spiller's addition almost guarantees Ingram will have a shared role this year. They gave Spiller and Ingram almost identical contracts this offseason. Spiller actually got more money guaranteed at $9 million.

What pushes me away from Ingram the most is his low fantasy receiving points. After getting only 24 catches in his first 3 years combined, Ingram skyrocketed up to 29 catches and 145 yards last year. Sadly, Spiller will probably take a lot of those 29 catches from Ingram this year. Sean Payton likes having a running back that rushes the ball but doesn't get receptions. Ingram seems destined for that role this year.

Right, but won't Ingram get almost, if not all, of the goal line carries? My guess is he'll likely get 80 or so yards a game and will have long run TDs or goal line TDs. Thus making him an RB2. I'm wondering if the Saints will do more 'trick' plays, and if they'll work.

Ingram looked to have a lot more burst and strength last year than ever before which shows he could breakout even more this year. My worry is the saints won't be that great and get behind a lot thus having spiller play more than people expect. I think a 50-50 split is in the works and the way these two guys are being ranked u wouldn't think that's the consensus. I'd lower Ingram a but in rankings and bump spiller up.

This coming from someone likely keeping Ingram as a 6th rounder. I'm going to look to draft spiller too if the value is there.

Ingram looked to have a lot more burst and strength last year than ever before which shows he could breakout even more this year. My worry is the saints won't be that great and get behind a lot thus having spiller play more than people expect. I think a 50-50 split is in the works and the way these two guys are being ranked u wouldn't think that's the consensus. I'd lower Ingram a but in rankings and bump spiller up.

This coming from someone likely keeping Ingram as a 6th rounder. I'm going to look to draft spiller too if the value is there.

Right. I have him at draft position 17 out of 17. Which is great value, but I'm trying to decide if I want to go for a RB2 right away or go for a WR1 since my kept WR1 is Mike Evans who is a borderline WR1. Which is why I asked, I'm unsure he's a RB2 or not.

Right. I have him at draft position 17 out of 17. Which is great value, but I'm trying to decide if I want to go for a RB2 right away or go for a WR1 since my kept WR1 is Mike Evans who is a borderline WR1. Which is why I asked, I'm unsure he's a RB2 or not.

I think Ingram will be a solid td dependent RB2 and anything more is a bonus. I'd take a wr1 first but then try to draft spiller for depth if u can or add more RB depth overall

Quite simple. If you are banking on Ingram as your RB2, you better be rock solid at the other positions or your in for a very long season. If the projections are correct, he'll average +\- 14 touches per game - any receptions and a possible TD, does not a solid RB2 make. Let's take last years aypc of 4.3, that's 60yds per game. 6 pts and you are hoping he gets a TD with a QB that led the league in TD throws inside the 5??? Oh wait you must be talking about the whopping 2.1 receptions per game last year that Spillar will gobble up? Yeah no thanks I'll pass. But to each his own I guess

Edited by tazinib1
  • Like 1

Quite simple. If you are banking on Ingram as your RB2, you better be rock solid at the other positions or your in for a very long season. If the projections are correct, he'll average +\- 14 touches per game - any receptions and a possible TD, does not a solid RB2 make. Let's take last years aypc of 4.3, that's 60yds per game. 6 pts and you are hoping he gets a TD with a QB that led the league in TD throws inside the 5??? Oh wait you must be talking about the whopping 2.1 receptions per game last year that Spillar will gobble up? Yeah no thanks I'll pass. But to each his own I guess

But...but..the Saints are gonna run the ball more this yr! :lol:

So is Khiry Robinson totally out of the equation? I bet he has a role. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry last year. And he is a big back who could cut into Ingram's touches, not Spiller's. And how about Pierre Thomas? He went onto the free agent market hoping to cash in. He has received minimal interest. If he is going to be forced to play for the veteran minimum, returning to the Saints makes the most sense.

This whole situation looks like a clusterfook in the making. I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole. The Saints backfield has the feel of a Patriots backfield. Sean Payton has rarely produced elite fantasy running backs. This year looks no different.

Agree with this 100%.

• Like 1

So is Khiry Robinson totally out of the equation? I bet he has a role. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry last year. And he is a big back who could cut into Ingram's touches, not Spiller's. And how about Pierre Thomas? He went onto the free agent market hoping to cash in. He has received minimal interest. If he is going to be forced to play for the veteran minimum, returning to the Saints makes the most sense.

This whole situation looks like a clusterfook in the making. I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole. The Saints backfield has the feel of a Patriots backfield. Sean Payton has rarely produced elite fantasy running backs. This year looks no different.

Amen. I think most of my dynasty league feels the same way as the Ingram owner has been peddling him for a while - either in smaller deals or part of larger packages - and no one has bitten yet.

I have been burned by Denver and New England backfields before. I am not going near this one either.

Edited by Wpob

And how about Pierre Thomas? He went onto the free agent market hoping to cash in. He has received minimal interest. If he is going to be forced to play for the veteran minimum, returning to the Saints makes the most sense.

I'm sure he was hoping to get a good deal somewhere, but I wouldn't classify it as looking to cash in. He was released by the Saints too, so not sure they would bring him back unless he doesn't sign elsewhere and there is an injury during the season.

i drafted ingram in like the 8th round last year in my big money league...and waited through his injury....and i followed him closely...the guy ran differently last year....looked new....i really liked what i saw

these guys moved graham and stills....thats alot of targets...i think you are looking at slight shift in their offense more geared towards the running attack....they added unger in the graham trade...and also a tackle in the 1st round in peat...dunno if hes going to start...but either way you are looking at one of the better offensive lines in the league right now.......i dont know that the saints dont view robinson as anything more than a backup.....saints run schedule shakes out as favorable too....