[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Legacy of Tom Brady

DMD

Tom Terrific  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Considering his suspension (or not), what is your opinion of Brady?

• One of greatest to ever play the game
    • Good, maybe great and suspension is meaningless
    • Good, maybe great and suspension proves he's also a cheater
    • Product of a system anyway and a cheater
    • Nothing matters because I love him. I mean like "Gisselle" kind of love.

The fact that he destroyed his phone certainly makes him look guilty, but is not relevant. I wouldn't have turned my phone over -AND- he was under advice from his legal counsel not to turn his phone over. There is nothing in the rules or CBA that requires him to make his personal phone available to the NFL.

The unfortunate precedent that is being set here is that the NFL and Goodell don't have to have proof of any wrong doing to administer punishment, they just have to have a strong feeling of guilt. And if you don't like it ... well you can appeal ... of course Goodell will be the one reviewing the repeal, so good luck with that.

This is why the lawsuit will actually be pretty damn important. It will do nothing to address whether Brady did or did not have involvement with the deflated footballs. It will address the scope of the Commissioner's power in handing out punishment. The CBA certainly gives Goodell a lot of power, but he presumably must have to meet some level of criteria before handing down fines and suspensions to players (who have a right to work and receive pay for their work). What is that criteria, and did this particular case meet it? I wouldn't mind seeing Goodell knocked down a peg or two in this case. But most likely they will rule against Brady.

because this is relevant.. Stick to the point dude. You got yer Homer goggles on and your vision is cloudy.. Wells didn't say "turn over your phone" but he did ask if they could look at text messages.

They have no right to demand to see the text messages on his personal phone. If your employer suspected you of doing something wrong on your job and wanted to see the texts on your personal phone would you capitulate? Just because the NFL wanted to see it doesn't mean they had the right to see it.

Just keep in mind if you are okay with the NFL inflicting this type of vindictive over the top punishment without a shred of conclusive evidence on Tom Brady ... that means you will have to be okay when they do the same thing to the top player on your favorite team. And when it happens to your favorite player, like Tom Brady that player will have the option of appealing to Roger Goodell.

• Like 1

Here is an analogy I think that sums up my thoughts - Everybody is driving 70 MPH in a 65 MPH zone, everybody is doing it and nobody cares (including the authorities). Then, for some unknown reason, a cop chooses to pull over just ONE of the many motorists exceeding the speed limit. And instead of just giving him a speeding ticket he hauls him to jail where he is sentenced to 30 days behind bars.

Was it the cop's right to pull over that one motorist, certainly.

Was that one motorist breaking the law, you bet.

But that doesn't change my thoughts that the unequal application of an existing regulation is wrong.

Well your analogy is flawed, because we don't know that all the teams were changing pressure in the balls AFTER THE REFS INSPECTED THEM. Should I write that again, in bold 100 point font, because that is something that people seem to continue to ignore. Until somebody can provide me with evidence that some other team was doing that, they need to quit the "everybody does it" BS.

BTW I regularly drive 5-10MPH over speed limits, I know I'm breaking the law, if I get pulled over I don't whine and say "everybody else does it". That kind of behavior could be the difference between a warning, ticket or further scrutiny by the officer. I did complain once for a ticket "unsafe following distance" after I already knew I was getting the ticket (unsafe following distance). I was tailgating slow moving taffic in the passing lane. I asked the trooper why they never right tickets for that, I see sings everywhere about move over except when passing, yet people cruise along at 5-10MPH UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT while traffic that wants to maintain the legal speed has to pass them on the right (which is also illegal and can result in a ticket).

They have no right to demand to see the text messages on his personal phone. If your employer suspected you of doing something wrong on your job and wanted to see the texts on your personal phone would you capitulate? Just because the NFL wanted to see it doesn't mean they had the right to see it.

Just keep in mind if you are okay with the NFL inflicting this type of vindictive over the top punishment without a shred of conclusive evidence on Tom Brady ... that means you will have to be okay when they do the same thing to the top player on your favorite team. And when it happens to your favorite player, like Tom Brady that player will have the option of appealing to Roger Goodell.

Based on text conversations between two employees within the Patriots organization, the NFL had more than enough suspicion to believe that Brady wasn't 100% unaware of this. I mean isht - the Wells investigation found that one of the two associates stated he was going to the media with all this deflating balls stuff - unless he got signed footballs, shoes, etc. from Brady. Why didn't he go to the media? Maybe he was getting this stuff to keep quiet. Why did Brady not have any phone conversations with this guy for 6 months and then all the sudden the DAY after all this information comes out he has 2 conversations a day - in which was documented dude was asked if he was "doing ok" and he responded along the lines of "yeah - just nervous about all this". The NFL isn't a court of law - and the player is not bound to give his personal phone to the league, investigators, etc. BUT - the player does have a responsibility to cooperate with the investigation under some sort of league integrity clause - and if he fails to uphold that - then yeah - he should be penalized. I think the whole problem here is not that Brady cheated - but that there's nothing in the CBA that states what the penalty is for something like this. But how can there be? This is a reactionary thing - how can you be proactive and put things like this into the CBA. If you want to get all ticky tack and spell everything out - it's impossible.

I mean what happens when next offseason Andrew Luck goes to Vegas, puts on a bender, whips out his man stick at the New York New York and pisses on the statue of liberty - but no one saw it except TY Hilton, who has this on video on his phone? You then have the Colts waterboy and equipment guy texting back and forth about how funny it was when Andrew was pissing on the statue of liberty. The league asks Hilton for his phone and he tells them to f’ off. The waterboy tells the equipment guy he has evidence but will keep quiet if Andrew signs some footballs and gives him some free isht. Yeah - the writing is on the wall. He's a dumbass and got busted. Why lie about it and try to cover it up?? He's gonna get suspended - but for how long? That's not in the CBA - lets start griping about that when he gets a 4 game suspension.

Patriots fans (IMO) seem to be a very high majority of the people who call BS on this whole thing. You even said it yourself. " that means you will have to be okay when they do the same thing to the top player on your favorite team." To me - that's irrelevant. I don't care if it's Andrew Luck or whoever. You do something stupid (in Brady's case, cheat) and get caught. Fess up to it. Don’t sit here and lie to us and tell us you knew nothing about it. BS. You’re guilty – people aren’t dumb. Problem is, now he’s got his foot too far into that hole filled with isht – and he can’t get it out – so he has to continue to keep lying and trying to deny everything – in turn wasting $$ on some dummass appeal. In the long run – in my opinion all he’s doing here is tarnishing his legacy – not clearing his name.

Edited by Shorttynaz

I can say this with a certain amount of certainty. If Goodell did not have a healthy support from a majority of ownership, the suspension more than likely would have been reduced or erased all together. Unfortunately, the Patriots don't have a spotless record when it comes to rule violations. They push the limits on a constant basis, very often over stepping those limits. Add in Brady's very poor decision (for whatever reason) to destroy potential exonerating evidence and the league had no choice but to go full bore ahead.

And to all the Patriot fans and others that are calling for Goodells head, sorry but that's not gonna happen.

Great point, the hate Goodell group doesn't seem to understand he has the support of the owners in almost all these cases, otherwise he'd be out if he was regularly going against their wishes. He works for them, not the fans or the players, they decide if he has a job or not.

A few other things I read in other discussions, I don't have time to find or provide links, but this stuff is being reported by multiple sources

- the owners were in favor of a reduced suspsension and that was offered, believe it was going to be 2 games, Brady refused, he and the NFLPA just kept saying "we'll take you to court"

- Brady's lawyer and the NFLPA filed suit in Minnesota federal court, it got assigned to a judge who sent it to NY federal court for a couple reasons

- first and foremost the NFL had already filed suit in NY

- second and still relevant, there was no reason for this to be filed in MIN, the NFLPA tried to argue some flimsy tie to the Adrian Peterson case, but the MIN federal judge said there was no reason to have it in MIN, none of the parties to the suit have ties there, and previous rulings (the NFL suspension and arbitration) were done in NY. He even said in a footnote that he believed it was only filed in MIN to get a favorable ruling from a court that had sided with the NFLPA against NFL in other cases

- Kraft is acting like a child, whining about the NFL filing their lawsuit first, "something only an attorney would do" right unlike the Brady team trying to file in MIN to get a favorable court

- Brady continues to deny everything, yet looks guilty as sin with the destruction of his phone, not just to the court of public opinion but any person involved with making a decision on this case

Pats fans (some here but mostly those I saw commenting on some other stories) continue to look horrible as they deny everything or worse yet acknowledge the cheating and say they don't care "4 rings, that's all that matters" posted one guy.

I want anyone on my team that will do whatever it takes to win....period.

So have the Eagles hire some thugs to stab and injure other players, surely if you can knock Romo and Dez out of the Cowboys game you have a better shot at winning.

Pathetic attitude IMHO.

Just kind of thinking out loud here, if no wrong doing was done, why not reinstate those 2 employees. How come those guys are not in front of reporters screaming at the top of their lungs Brady did nothing wrong.

I find it very convenient those text messages are no longer retrievable. Nice plan team Brady but it backfired. Nice try by Kraft to take a hit for the team hoping it would help sweep this matter under the rug. Oops

Those guys aren't speaking up because the Pats are paying them to be quiet. They're the fall guys, I'm surprised they haven't come forward and admitted they did it on their own, no instruction from Brady, nobody else in the organization knew. We just decided we'd mess with the balls and see what happens.

Well why cooperate with the investigation at all then, as it seems some think they team had no responsibilty as a franchise in the NFL to cooperate with an investigation of them breaking rules they've agreed to. But if you are going to cooperate, then cooperate fully. Bring your phone and those records, or sign a statement saying "there were no text/calls between these guys". Or immediately say "yeah well sorry, no can do phone was destroyed already [we knew it had incriminating info]."

PS The Browns lost a talented receiver (Gordon) for this year because he screwed up, I stood by Goodell and the NFL on that decision, no complaining that he was wronged even though many thought him being suspended a full season for drinking alcohol was completely unfair. (Gordon didn't understand the rules, or was just a flake, and it was already outlined that he would be suspended one year if the broke the rules again.) I don't support cheaters, even if they help my team win, unlike some people here (

because this is relevant.. Stick to the point dude. You got yer Homer goggles on and your vision is cloudy.. Wells didn't say "turn over your phone" but he did ask if they could look at text messages.

you cant "refuse" something that wasnt demanded....when someone asks you for something you decline....you dont refuse

the nfl is shifting this whole thing to a phone issue.....because everything else they have his garbage and wont hold....this wont hold either

the patriots were compliant during spygate...they wilfully admitted to violations....this is much different......there is nothing here....but incompetent leadership, one team upset they lost because belichick is smarter than everyone and used formations never used anymore and a team tired of getting their teeth kicked in by the pats(you colts).....90 percent of this country hates the pats....its an easy sell by the nfl who is trying to coverup yet another mess they created

Well your analogy is flawed, because we don't know that all the teams were changing pressure in the balls AFTER THE REFS INSPECTED THEM. Should I write that again, in bold 100 point font, because that is something that people seem to continue to ignore. Until somebody can provide me with evidence that some other team was doing that, they need to quit the "everybody does it" BS.

BTW I regularly drive 5-10MPH over speed limits, I know I'm breaking the law, if I get pulled over I don't whine and say "everybody else does it". That kind of behavior could be the difference between a warning, ticket or further scrutiny by the officer. I did complain once for a ticket "unsafe following distance" after I already knew I was getting the ticket (unsafe following distance). I was tailgating slow moving taffic in the passing lane. I asked the trooper why they never right tickets for that, I see sings everywhere about move over except when passing, yet people cruise along at 5-10MPH UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT while traffic that wants to maintain the legal speed has to pass them on the right (which is also illegal and can result in a ticket).

How would you feel if while everybody else was doing it you were the only one punished for it?

It doesn't matter anyway. The injunction has nothing to do with his cell phone anymore. It has to do wether or not Goodell over stepped his authority via the CBA. Good luck with that. The suspension will remain in affect. I doubt they even get an injunction. Face the facts, get over it and start rooting for the guys who are playing.

Edited by tazinib1

Based on text conversations between two employees within the Patriots organization, the NFL had more than enough suspicion to believe that Brady wasn't 100% unaware of this. I mean isht - the Wells investigation found that one of the two associates stated he was going to the media with all this deflating balls stuff - unless he got signed footballs, shoes, etc. from Brady. Why didn't he go to the media? Maybe he was getting this stuff to keep quiet. Why did Brady not have any phone conversations with this guy for 6 months and then all the sudden the DAY after all this information comes out he has 2 conversations a day - in which was documented dude was asked if he was "doing ok" and he responded along the lines of "yeah - just nervous about all this". The NFL isn't a court of law - and the player is not bound to give his personal phone to the league, investigators, etc. BUT - the player does have a responsibility to cooperate with the investigation under some sort of league integrity clause - and if he fails to uphold that - then yeah - he should be penalized. I think the whole problem here is not that Brady cheated - but that there's nothing in the CBA that states what the penalty is for something like this. But how can there be? This is a reactionary thing - how can you be proactive and put things like this into the CBA. If you want to get all ticky tack and spell everything out - it's impossible.

I mean what happens when next offseason Andrew Luck goes to Vegas, puts on a bender, whips out his man stick at the New York New York and pisses on the statue of liberty - but no one saw it except TY Hilton, who has this on video on his phone? You then have the Colts waterboy and equipment guy texting back and forth about how funny it was when Andrew was pissing on the statue of liberty. The league asks Hilton for his phone and he tells them to f’ off. The waterboy tells the equipment guy he has evidence but will keep quiet if Andrew signs some footballs and gives him some free isht. Yeah - the writing is on the wall. He's a dumbass and got busted. Why lie about it and try to cover it up?? He's gonna get suspended - but for how long? That's not in the CBA - lets start griping about that when he gets a 4 game suspension.

Patriots fans (IMO) seem to be a very high majority of the people who call BS on this whole thing. You even said it yourself. " that means you will have to be okay when they do the same thing to the top player on your favorite team." To me - that's irrelevant. I don't care if it's Andrew Luck or whoever. You do something stupid (in Brady's case, cheat) and get caught. Fess up to it. Don’t sit here and lie to us and tell us you knew nothing about it. BS. You’re guilty – people aren’t dumb. Problem is, now he’s got his foot too far into that hole filled with isht – and he can’t get it out – so he has to continue to keep lying and trying to deny everything – in turn wasting $$ on some dummass appeal. In the long run – in my opinion all he’s doing here is tarnishing his legacy – not clearing his name.

I still call bullmanure

It is NOT enough to SUSPECT he knew. "More than enough suspicion" doesn't meet the standard of conclusive evidence. After that all your statements are pure conjecture. Do I believe Brady was in some way involved, sure I do. But unless somebody has some solid evidence (not "he was probably generally aware") I don't believe he should be held accountable. Just because I believe Brady was involved does NOT mean that he was, no matter how unlikely it is that he wasn't. I can in no way condone punishments handed down based on suspected behavior. This is a very bad precedent in my opinion.

And I am NOT a Patriot fan, never have been, never will be.

It doesn't matter if Brady knows he is guilty and you [think you] know he is guilty and I [think I] know he is guilty ... with no solid evidence that he is in fact guilt he is due the benefit of a doubt and should not be punished. I mean my God Goodell already has God-like powers, why would we allow him more? Why would we allow Goodell to suspend whomever he chooses because he suspects they have done something wrong? Really?

you cant "refuse" something that wasnt demanded....when someone asks you for something you decline....you dont refuse

the nfl is shifting this whole thing to a phone issue.....because everything else they have his garbage and wont hold....this wont hold either

the patriots were compliant during spygate...they wilfully admitted to violations....this is much different......there is nothing here....but incompetent leadership, one team upset they lost because belichick is smarter than everyone and used formations never used anymore and a team tired of getting their teeth kicked in by the pats(you colts).....90 percent of this country hates the pats....its an easy sell by the nfl who is trying to coverup yet another mess they created

Semantics? Really?

Colts accuse pats of deflating footballs . . . video shows ball boy disappear with balls after being inspected by refs . . .ball boy claims to use the restroom, but the room he entered does not have one . . . ball boy has nickname "Deflator" . . . balls have less pressure than when inspected by ref . . . text messages between Brady and ball boy increase after story breaks . . . Patriots suspend and fire ball boys . . . Brady declines to hand over his phone . . . Brady destroys phone

These are indisputable facts. Do you really need more?

Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 1

Semantics? Really?

Colts accuse pats of deflating footballs . . . video shows ball boy disappear with balls after being inspected by refs . . .ball boy claims to use the restroom, but the room he entered does not have one . . . ball boy has nickname "Deflator" . . . balls have less pressure than when inspected by ref . . . text messages between Brady and ball boy increase after story breaks . . . Patriots suspend and fire ball boys . . . Brady declines to hand over his phone . . . Brady destroys phone

im not arguing semantics...im saying....wells said "brady refused" yet made a statement that he told brady and his lawyer he didnt need to turn it over.....kind of conflicting if you ask me...wouldnt you agree....when someone asks you...you decline....when its demanded you refuse......did anyone tell brady he might face disciplinary action if he didnt turn the phone over? im fairly sure no one did....

like i said before....the league botched this from the beginning....whether or not they knew about this beforehand i dunno....but if i were you id prob be a little upset that the league let you guys play a half of football, in a game of that magnitude, while the patriots had a competitive advantage.....but of course....we all know they had no competitive advantage dont we?

the league approved the footballs....they didnt measure them....they gave them the "ole hand" test and said they are good to go.....the levels they measured at halftime were not so far out of whack that it couldnt be argued temperature and climate couldnt have reasonably moved those balls from the required level to the level they tested at.......so what if brady likes the balls at the minimum psi at gametime? .....the nfl want this problem to go away?....measure every ball and hire a guy to watch them .....its a billion dollar league and there are tons of part time employees...im sure they can find a couple of guys to make a couple hundred dollars on a sunday.....

im sorry we beat you up again....im sorry well be uncovering another banner ....we dont do division banners though.....i like you hook....you can accuse me of having my homer glasses on....and i can say you dont like the patriots because we are more successful than the colts.....it goes nowhere

the balls were approved before the game and not measured....and the measurements they took at halftime were not so low that you can reasonably argue temperature and climate didnt have an effect on a halftime measurement......the phone was not asked for...in fact wells told them he was ok with not having it as long as he provided a bunch of other info....which he did provide....wells said that was satisfactory...now all of the sudden this whole thing shifts to a destroyed phone that was never required in the first place....that was never going to be seen anway?....brady didnt decline to hand over his phone....he was told he didnt need to...and then wells says "he refused".....kinda funny........

and ya of course texts/communication would increase between 2 or more people when a huge story breaks implicating them at work....the same would happen in your workplace in certain sitautions

this is the same league that had no idea a video of ray rice existed...even though they were very aware the incident happened in a casino...lol....man those former fbi guys in the nfl security department must doing some good work over there

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

let me tell you how much the city of indy and colts fans loathe the pats.....

it was prob a week before the superbowl or a few days....and i cant remember if it was kravitz...or who it was....if it was someone from the star or whatever....and im driving into work listening to dennis and callahan on eei....theyve got him on/..hes a writer for an indy paper....and this guy is so enraged(now keep in mind the investigation hadnt even happened yet) that he said he believed the pats shouldnt be allowed to arizona....that they should let baltimore and the colts play to decide who goes....he took it even further and said "maybe they should let the last team to beat them go....the packers".....so enraged he suggested an nfc/nfc superbowl....lol......the colts know what happened and that footballs being under 12.5 psi had no bearing...they just got their tails kicked in....ask dwayne allen...at least he has some sense....hes not alone

if the league was made aware of the situation...and possibilty the pats were doing this ahead of time...like they supposedly were.....those balls should have been tested and logged....and if they were under they should have inflated....the pats should have been warned....they should have kept a close eye on them being moved..and they should have been retested at halftime.....problem was they only tested them at halftime

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

I still call bullmanure

It is NOT enough to SUSPECT he knew. "More than enough suspicion" doesn't meet the standard of conclusive evidence. After that all your statements are pure conjecture. Do I believe Brady was in some way involved, sure I do. But unless somebody has some solid evidence (not "he was probably generally aware") I don't believe he should be held accountable. Just because I believe Brady was involved does NOT mean that he was, no matter how unlikely it is that he wasn't. I can in no way condone punishments handed down based on suspected behavior. This is a very bad precedent in my opinion.

And I am NOT a Patriot fan, never have been, never will be.

It doesn't matter if Brady knows he is guilty and you [think you] know he is guilty and I [think I] know he is guilty ... with no solid evidence that he is in fact guilt he is due the benefit of a doubt and should not be punished. I mean my God Goodell already has God-like powers, why would we allow him more? Why would we allow Goodell to suspend whomever he chooses because he suspects they have done something wrong? Really?

I kinda think it's funny that none of the owners (well, now outside of Kraft) have an issue with Goodell.

let me tell you how much the city of indy and colts fans loathe the pats.....

it was prob a week before the superbowl or a few days....and i cant remember if it was kravitz...or who it was....if it was someone from the star or whatever....and im driving into work listening to dennis and callahan on eei....theyve got him on/..hes a writer for an indy paper....and this guy is so enraged(now keep in mind the investigation hadnt even happened yet) that he said he believed the pats shouldnt be allowed to arizona....that they should let baltimore and the colts play to decide who goes....he took it even further and said "maybe they should let the last team to beat them go....the packers".....so enraged he suggested an nfc/nfc superbowl....lol......the colts know what happened and that footballs being under 12.5 psi had no bearing...they just got their tails kicked in....ask dwayne allen...at least he has some sense....hes not alone

if the league was made aware of the situation...and possibilty the pats were doing this ahead of time...like they supposedly were.....those balls should have been tested and logged....and if they were under they should have inflated....the pats should have been warned....they should have kept a close eye on them being moved..and they should have been retested at halftime.....problem was they only tested them at halftime

So.. What you're telling me is you're basing your judgment of an ENTIRE fan base on one writer - who said the Pats shouldn't go to Arizona. But all the Colts fans share the same sentiment and instantly think that win should have been negated.

:tup:

Semantics? Really?

Brady continues to deny any knowledge of this happening and destroys evidence. If Brady TRULY DID want to prove his innocence - HE can go to his phone provider and request transcripts of all old messages. Instead all he wants to do is continue to try to cover up his f' up and point the finger at others. He can prove his innocence, but he knows he's guilty so will now lie under cover of the NFLPA and their lawsuit in which I think will get tossed. Just my opinion tho.

So.. What you're telling me is you're basing your judgment of an ENTIRE fan base on one writer - who said the Pats shouldn't go to Arizona. But all the Colts fans share the same sentiment and instantly think that win should have been negated.

:tup:

I could always present you as my 2nd piece of evidence......the notion that they should send the Packers instead, before an investigation is launched, is so absurd it can only be driven by jealousy and lunacy induced by jealousy

I could always present you as my 2nd piece of evidence......the notion that they should send the Packers instead, before an investigation is launched, is so absurd it can only be driven by jealousy and lunacy induced by jealousy

You lost me. I never said anything about how the pats shouldn't go to the sb and send someone else instead.

I kinda think it's funny that none of the owners (well, now outside of Kraft) have an issue with Goodell.

Not a surprise to me at all ... they think NE has a pattern of cheating and want them to be punished, whether the punishment is just or not. IMO they are not thinking forward; i.e. they are not realizing that next week it could be all the other owners and Goodell aligned against them. Once you give Goodell the power to punish based on suspicions and not evidence there is no going back.

If you are concerned with your legacy then you do everything in your power to show that you were innocent. You give up phone records, you give up the phone and whatever else that will help exhonerate you.

Think about it like this...If you get pulled over and a police office wants to give you a breathalyzer test you have the right to decline. Of course there are repercussions should you choose to use that right. Now, let's say you just finished working a 15 hour day and you are dead tired (you crossed the centerline because you were so tired), you have new contacts and your eyes are bloodshot (making you look like you have been drinking or something. Now lets even add that as you were leaving work a buddy dropped a 40 and got it all over your pants so you actually smell like alcohol too. The cop thinks he has you dead to rights, but you know otherwise because you haven't had a drop of alcohol in your life...Do you take a stand based on your RIGHTS and decline the test or do you do what you need to do to prove your innocence? Maybe not the best analogy in the world but I think it makes my point.

Edited by keggerz
  • Like 1