[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Legacy of Tom Brady

DMD

Tom Terrific  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Considering his suspension (or not), what is your opinion of Brady?

• One of greatest to ever play the game
    • Good, maybe great and suspension is meaningless
    • Good, maybe great and suspension proves he's also a cheater
    • Product of a system anyway and a cheater
    • Nothing matters because I love him. I mean like "Gisselle" kind of love.

I'm not defending the Wells report or the NFL, just trying to explain asking your fellow huddlers to provide proof the Pats/Brady are guilty is dumb, since we don't have it.

I'm also not the NFL, I didn't make this decision, so I'm not going to try and justify or defend it. The courts now have this case, but I have a feeling their decision will not sit well with one group or another.

I do agree it would be better if the NFL was more transparent, had clearer policies and guidelines for punishment. And in general they didn't get into puishment for off field activity, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

I hear you man. People are chosing to miss your point for the sake of continuing the argument.

I'm not. Is his point there's no proof? Duh...that's my point. Is his point that the league has proof but the public isnt allowed to see? That's even worse..

You'll never get the point, so I won't bother trying to explain it again.

Now take up your pitchfork and march on NFL HQ demanding justice for Tom Brady.

Would now be a good time to bump bountygate?

There SO many parallels between the two it's not even funny. And not just from the NFL and media, but some of the exact same things I was saying years ago are being repeated now. At least now, with this being the golden child of football, more people are listening and less are laughing. But it sure as (the really bad word) doesn't make me feel any better...

The moving-target prosecution works. Look at the New Orleans Saints. In June of 2012, Goodell's office leaked a document to Jason Cole of Yahoo! that purported to show a "ledger" of payments made to Saints team members for hits that injured opposing players.

The story was amazingly specific, citing a game against the Buffalo Bills in 2009 in which three players were paid $1,000 apiece for hits that led to players being "carted off" the field.

But it later came out that of the four Bills players injured in that game, three played defense, making it impossible for Saints defensive players to have been guilty. So Cole's league source "corrected" the leak, saying that the game in question was actually a November 2009 contest against the Panthers.

But in that game, only one Panthers player was injured, a linebacker who fell down untouched while backpedaling. The story has never been retracted.

The league leaked all sorts of bits and pieces of evidence against the Saints. Much of it turned out to be not true, or not exactly true. The league, for instance, said that linebacker Jonathan Vilma put $10,000 on a table before a game, offering it to any teammate who would knock out Brett Favre. But it's not clear that actually happened.

The league said another player, Anthony Hargrove, was caught on video asking for money for hitting Favre. Goodell's office even issued the video. But it wasn't clear in the end that Hargrove actually said anything incriminating, or why the NFL was so sure he had.

By the time all of this got sorted out in the media, the players' suspensions were being upheld in a ruling that didn't mention the ledger and only said "a Saints player" was heard saying stuff on video, and mostly just slammed them all for refusing to admit guilt.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/roger-goodell-vs-tom-brady-the-ultimate-revenge-of-mediocrity-story-20150812#ixzz3if5VRavZ
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook