[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Legacy of Tom Brady

DMD

Tom Terrific  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Considering his suspension (or not), what is your opinion of Brady?

• One of greatest to ever play the game
    • Good, maybe great and suspension is meaningless
    • Good, maybe great and suspension proves he's also a cheater
    • Product of a system anyway and a cheater
    • Nothing matters because I love him. I mean like "Gisselle" kind of love.

Brady is a HOF'er. But I do think this will keep him from making it on the first ballot. Other than that, it's just a retort for us fans to use against arrogant Pats fans when they brag about having four Super Bowls. It doesn't tarnish his legacy other than conversations about who is the greatest, because you'll hear, "Well Montana didn't have to cheat." He still has the rings. The only "punishment" is that voters will make him wait an extra year.

Brady is a great QB. Not a "system" QB.

But forever in debt to mo lewis, you are a blind ass homer if you don't think he deflated footballs and covered it up. I love ya, but c'mon.

Now, we don't know if Montana cheated or not...but the main thing is that if he did cheat, he was never caught...

I can say this with a certain amount of certainty. If Goodell did not have a healthy support from a majority of ownership, the suspension more than likely would have been reduced or erased all together. Unfortunately, the Patriots don't have a spotless record when it comes to rule violations. They push the limits on a constant basis, very often over stepping those limits. Add in Brady's very poor decision (for whatever reason) to destroy potential exonerating evidence and the league had no choice but to go full bore ahead.

And to all the Patriot fans and others that are calling for Goodells head, sorry but that's not gonna happen.

brady supposedly destroyed the phone in march right? we learned that the nfl learned he destroyed the phone june 18th.....brady destroyed the phone after he was told that his wouldnt be checked for any reason....there were never any expectations of bradys phone being checked.......but what happens? now all of the sudden the nfl learned the phone is destroyed "welllll ....there it is...theres the smoking gun...wait till we give this to the public...theyre gonna eat it up....90 percent of the country hates them"

“Based on the data collected from Jastremski’s phone, McNally’s 9:05 a.m. text was the first text message exchange between them in twelve days. The cell phone data retrieved from Jastremski's phone by Renaissance does not reflect any telephone conversations between Jastremski and McNally during that period.”

Translation: “Despite the fact that these two men are in cahoots to illegally deflate game balls for the sinister Tom Brady, they had no text communication over a 12-day period in the middle of the season that included a pair of division games against the Jets and Bills. "

so two guys who alleged accomplices of brady...had their phones viewed...and it shows that these guys who are supposed to be in cahoots....are talking about deflating balls ....but somehow go 12 days, with 2 division game during that span, without correspondence?

Brady knew about it. His denying it is like Barry Bonds saying he never "knowingly" did steroids. Here are excerpts directly from the Wells Report which lead me to believe that (1) Brady knew about it - and (2) so did the Patriots organization - and they not only tried to cover it up, but they tried to question the integrity of game officials:

"Additional evidence of Brady‟s awareness includes a material increase in the

frequency of telephone and text communications between Brady and Jastremski shortly after

suspicions of ball tampering became public on January 19. After not communicating by

telephone or text message for more than six months (based on data retrieved from Jastremski's

cell phone), Brady and Jastremski spoke by telephone at least twice on January 19 (calls lasting a

total of 25 minutes and 2 seconds), twice on January 20 (calls lasting a total of 9 minutes and 55

seconds) and twice on January 21 (calls lasting a total of 20 minutes and 52 seconds) before

Jastremski surrendered his cell phone to the Patriots later that day for forensic imaging. These

calls included conversations relatively early during the mornings of January 19 (7:26 a.m. for 13

minutes and 4 seconds), January 20 (8:22 a.m. for 6 minutes and 21 seconds) and January 21

(7:38 a.m. for 13 minutes and 47 seconds). Brady also took the unprecedented step of inviting

Jastremski to the QB room (essentially Brady‟s office) in Gillette Stadium on January 19 for the

first and only time that Jastremski can recall during his twenty-year career with the Patriots, and

Brady sent Jastremski text messages seemingly designed to calm Jastremski (“You good Jonny

boy?”; “You doing good?”). For his part, Jastremski sent Brady text messages confirming thathe was okay (“Still nervous; so far so good though”) and cautioning Brady about questioning (“FYI...Dave will be picking your brain later about it. He‟s not accusing me, or anyone...trying to get to bottom of it. He knows it‟s unrealistic you did it yourself...”).

In addition, we believe it is unlikely that an equipment assistant and a locker room

attendant would deflate game balls without Brady‟s knowledge and approval. Based on our

interviews and assessment of McNally and Jastremski, we also do not believe that they would

personally and unilaterally engage in such conduct in the absence of Brady‟s awareness and

consent."

"The Patriots provided cooperation throughout the investigation, including by

making personnel and information available to us upon request. Counsel for the Patriots,

however, refused to make Jim McNally available for a follow-up interview requested by our

investigative team on what we believed were important topics, despite our offer to meet at any

time and location that would be convenient for McNally. Counsel for the Patriots apparently

refused even to inform McNally of our request. We believe the failure by the Patriots and its

counsel to produce McNally for the requested follow-up interview violated the club's obligations

to cooperate with the investigation under the Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of

League Rules and was inconsistent with public statements made by the Patriots pledging full

cooperation with the investigation."

"At various points in the investigation, counsel for the Patriots questioned the

integrity and objectivity of game officials, various NFL executives and certain NFL Security

representatives present at the AFC Championship Game or otherwise involved in the

investigative process. We found no evidence to substantiate the questions raised by counsel.

Specifically, we identified no evidence of any bias or unfairness. We believe that the game

officials, NFL executives, NFL Security representatives and other members of the NFL staff who

participated in the testing of the footballs and the subsequent investigative process acted fairly,

properly and responsibly."

• Like 1

Brady knew about it. His denying it is like Barry Bonds saying he never "knowingly" did steroids. Here are excerpts directly from the Wells Report which lead me to believe that (1) Brady knew about it - and (2) so did the Patriots organization - and they not only tried to cover it up, but they tried to question the integrity of game officials:

"Additional evidence of Brady‟s awareness includes a material increase in the

frequency of telephone and text communications between Brady and Jastremski shortly after

suspicions of ball tampering became public on January 19. After not communicating by

telephone or text message for more than six months (based on data retrieved from Jastremski's

cell phone), Brady and Jastremski spoke by telephone at least twice on January 19 (calls lasting a

total of 25 minutes and 2 seconds), twice on January 20 (calls lasting a total of 9 minutes and 55

seconds) and twice on January 21 (calls lasting a total of 20 minutes and 52 seconds) before

Jastremski surrendered his cell phone to the Patriots later that day for forensic imaging. These

calls included conversations relatively early during the mornings of January 19 (7:26 a.m. for 13

minutes and 4 seconds), January 20 (8:22 a.m. for 6 minutes and 21 seconds) and January 21

(7:38 a.m. for 13 minutes and 47 seconds). Brady also took the unprecedented step of inviting

Jastremski to the QB room (essentially Brady‟s office) in Gillette Stadium on January 19 for the

first and only time that Jastremski can recall during his twenty-year career with the Patriots, and

Brady sent Jastremski text messages seemingly designed to calm Jastremski (“You good Jonny

boy?”; “You doing good?”). For his part, Jastremski sent Brady text messages confirming thathe was okay (“Still nervous; so far so good though”) and cautioning Brady about questioning (“FYI...Dave will be picking your brain later about it. He‟s not accusing me, or anyone...trying to get to bottom of it. He knows it‟s unrealistic you did it yourself...”).

In addition, we believe it is unlikely that an equipment assistant and a locker room

attendant would deflate game balls without Brady‟s knowledge and approval. Based on our

interviews and assessment of McNally and Jastremski, we also do not believe that they would

personally and unilaterally engage in such conduct in the absence of Brady‟s awareness and

consent."

"The Patriots provided cooperation throughout the investigation, including by

making personnel and information available to us upon request. Counsel for the Patriots,

however, refused to make Jim McNally available for a follow-up interview requested by our

investigative team on what we believed were important topics, despite our offer to meet at any

time and location that would be convenient for McNally. Counsel for the Patriots apparently

refused even to inform McNally of our request. We believe the failure by the Patriots and its

counsel to produce McNally for the requested follow-up interview violated the club's obligations

to cooperate with the investigation under the Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of

League Rules and was inconsistent with public statements made by the Patriots pledging full

cooperation with the investigation."

"At various points in the investigation, counsel for the Patriots questioned the

integrity and objectivity of game officials, various NFL executives and certain NFL Security

representatives present at the AFC Championship Game or otherwise involved in the

investigative process. We found no evidence to substantiate the questions raised by counsel.

Specifically, we identified no evidence of any bias or unfairness. We believe that the game

officials, NFL executives, NFL Security representatives and other members of the NFL staff who

participated in the testing of the footballs and the subsequent investigative process acted fairly,

properly and responsibly."

Theres nothing here that proves anything. Tom text and called the dude. Team counsel said we"re telling this guy not to talk to you. What surprises you about that? That's what lawyers do. Every day. None of this comes close to proving anything. "We think he probably was involved in lowering the psi"= suspension? Total bullhonda

Theres nothing here that proves anything. Tom text and called the dude. Team counsel said we"re telling this guy not to talk to you. What surprises you about that? That's what lawyers do. Every day. None of this comes close to proving anything. "We think he probably was involved in lowering the psi"= suspension? Total bullhonda

The context of the text messages that were sent between the deflator and some other associate pretty much said he's going to the media with all this unless he gets signed memorabilia and shoes, etc. from Brady. And the day after all this comes out Brady and dude have several conversations when they haven't talked (on the phone at least) for the past 6 months. IDK - I'm not sure the league overstepped it's boundaries here. Why didn't Brady tell the league he "destroyed" his old phone 6 months ago when all this was uncovering? Why did he wait until recently to come out and say he didn't share this info cause the phone was destroyed. I think he'd have a much stronger case if he would have just come out and said this when he was first interviewed. "Can we see your phone?" "Nope - it's destroyed". His press conference a few months ago where he addressed the media about all this - I watched it and thought this has BS all over it. Just my opinion - but honestly - ya cheat, you're gonna get caught.

More power to him for fighting it - but what's gonna happen when this court case delays things and he's allowed to play - only for it to be upheld late this year or early next year - he's gonna miss some key playoff games. May as well just have accepted that you're looking like Ryan Braun, Barry Bonds, and Pete Rose - sitting here lying to the camera over and over and over. Ya f'd up dude - ya got busted. Admit it - it's not gonna tarnish your legacy. Fight it and still lose - and potentially miss another run at a SB cause you were suspended with the team needed you - yeah - that's something that people will likely remember 20 years from now..

• Like 1

If you are going to dish out punishment like this, there better be a bloody precedent for it or something that clearly states this violation equals this min/max punishment possibilities. Another case of Goodell doing Goodell bullhonda.

Oh and going to point out that Jerry Rice, the greatest trucking NFL player to date, admitted he used stickum throughout his career. I fail to see the difference between that and deflated trucking balls.

because they leaked info before an investigation that wasnt true.....and they cant go back on it now....they have to ride this thing out or else they look incompetent...which they have already proven to be......like i said...when its over and goodell will be up there acting like they did their best "but he got off on a technicality".....he cant admit this thing was botched

Spoken like a true homer. Ridiculous.

Spoken like a true homer. Ridiculous.

"I want to be crystal clear. I told Mr. Brady and his agents, I was willing not to take possession of the phone. I said, "I don't want to see any private information." I said, "Keep the phone. You and the agent, Mr. Yee, you can look at the phone. You give me the documents that are responsive to this investigation and I will take your word that you have given me what's responsive." Mr. Wells, May 2015

I realize 90 percent of this country hates the patriots and i not going to change their minds....but hook...I know ur better than this.....this requires digging deeper Than what ur told by espn or the nfl network .....

its not tom bradys job to measure and approve balls before a game ....it's the leagues.....they didnt check, measure and record them before the afc title game in question....they gave em a hand test and approved them.....now they're trying to act like it's someone else's fault......

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

The context of the text messages that were sent between the deflator and some other associate pretty much said he's going to the media with all this unless he gets signed memorabilia and shoes, etc. from Brady. And the day after all this comes out Brady and dude have several conversations when they haven't talked (on the phone at least) for the past 6 months. IDK - I'm not sure the league overstepped it's boundaries here. Why didn't Brady tell the league he "destroyed" his old phone 6 months ago when all this was uncovering? Why did he wait until recently to come out and say he didn't share this info cause the phone was destroyed. I think he'd have a much stronger case if he would have just come out and said this when he was first interviewed. "Can we see your phone?" "Nope - it's destroyed". His press conference a few months ago where he addressed the media about all this - I watched it and thought this has BS all over it. Just my opinion - but honestly - ya cheat, you're gonna get caught.

More power to him for fighting it - but what's gonna happen when this court case delays things and he's allowed to play - only for it to be upheld late this year or early next year - he's gonna miss some key playoff games. May as well just have accepted that you're looking like Ryan Braun, Barry Bonds, and Pete Rose - sitting here lying to the camera over and over and over. Ya f'd up dude - ya got busted. Admit it - it's not gonna tarnish your legacy. Fight it and still lose - and potentially miss another run at a SB cause you were suspended with the team needed you - yeah - that's something that people will likely remember 20 years from now..

Well its simple...he was told his phone was not needed......what u should be asking is...."why did they not ask for his phone"....or "why is his phone being destroyed now relevant when he was told months ago he didn't need to turn it over"

Well its simple...he was told his phone was not needed......what u should be asking is...."why did they not ask for his phone"....or "why is his phone being destroyed now relevant when he was told months ago he didn't need to turn it over"

"Since the Wells Report was released, there has been an assumption by some that the Patriots quarterback chose not to hand over texts and emails to investigators because he didn't want them to have access to messages or information that did not pertain to the case.

Wells explained on his call that Brady was very cooperative during his interview with investigators, but Wells sought to refute the notion that Brady was asked to relinquish his privacy by giving up his phone.

"Mr. Brady, the report sets forth, he came to the interview, he answered every question, he did not refuse to answer any questions in terms of the back and forth between Mr. Brady and my team -- he was totally cooperative," Wells said. "At the same time, he refused to permit us to review electronic data from his telephone or other instruments. Most of the key evidence in this case as in most cases comes from people’s cell phones and he refused to let us review the phone.

"And I want to be crystal clear, I told Mr. Brady and his agents I was willing to not take possession of the phone, I don’t want to see any private communications, I said, ‘You keep the phone, you give me documents that are responsive to this investigation, and I will take your word for it.’ And they still refused."

In my eyes - guilty - busted - ya f'd up and got caught. Quit tryin to hide isht. Just as I said - he's going down the same road as Ryan Braun - Barry Bonds - Pete Rose. Don't lie about it - fess up and tell the truth! Braun accepted his penalty and do most people even remember it? No. Bonds and Rose on the other hand - they've screwed themselves cause they insist to continuously lie and try to cover up something they know is a f'n lie!

Edited by Shorttynaz

"Since the Wells Report was released, there has been an assumption by some that the Patriots quarterback chose not to hand over texts and emails to investigators because he didn't want them to have access to messages or information that did not pertain to the case.

Wells explained on his call that Brady was very cooperative during his interview with investigators, but Wells sought to refute the notion that Brady was asked to relinquish his privacy by giving up his phone.

"Mr. Brady, the report sets forth, he came to the interview, he answered every question, he did not refuse to answer any questions in terms of the back and forth between Mr. Brady and my team -- he was totally cooperative," Wells said. "At the same time, he refused to permit us to review electronic data from his telephone or other instruments. Most of the key evidence in this case as in most cases comes from people’s cell phones and he refused to let us review the phone.

"And I want to be crystal clear, I told Mr. Brady and his agents I was willing to not take possession of the phone, I don’t want to see any private communications, I said, ‘You keep the phone, you give me documents that are responsive to this investigation, and I will take your word for it.’ And they still refused."

In my eyes - guilty - busted - ya f'd up and got caught. Quit tryin to hide isht. Just as I said - he's going down the same road as Ryan Braun - Barry Bonds - Pete Rose. Don't lie about it - fess up and tell the truth! Braun accepted his penalty and do most people even remember it? No. Bonds and Rose on the other hand - they've screwed themselves cause they insist to continuously lie and try to cover up something they know is a f'n lie!

so wells told them he didnt need the phone...and they "refused"...wow...shocking

you have no measurement of the balls before game...only a hand test.....the balls could have 6 psi ...if they are approved...its not bradys fault.....if they measured them before the game they have prevented all of this....once the ball is approved the only other course of action is to prove someone tampered with them after that.....which they cant prove.....

the nfl has nothing...other than ....they measured some balls at halftime......which it has been shown that balls can lose an ingsignifigant amount of psi due to weather/temperature conditions....the amount lost by the balls by halftime was deemed insignifigant(by people who know science).....they just happened to be under the limit.........did brady tell mcnally and jastremksi he wanted them at their lowest possible limit? probably.....theres nothing to suggest those balls didnt meet the miminum requrement before the game

listen i know it stinks getting your tail whipped by the patriots repeatedly......but just try for a second to look at things objectively....even though i realize this is impossible for you

This has the feel of a manufactured controversy in much the same way that Bountygate, in retrospect, has. I always wonder if there are NFL incidents that are kept behind-the-scenes that prime the league to deal more harshly with these teams (Belichick or Payton) when something public happens.

The point of all this is that I don't think it affects Brady's football legacy one iota. This is not his Ray Lewis moment.

But this isn’t the first time the Patriots — and more specifically locker room attendant Jim McNally — have been accused of an incident involving illegal game balls. McNally, whose incriminating Brady-bashing text messages were included in the DeflateGate report, also came under NFL review in 2004 for allowing practice balls to be used during games. According to the Wells Report, a letter from then-NFL director of game operations Peter Hadhazy dated Nov. 2, 2004 said the incident involved New England ball boys relaying “non-approved practice balls to a game official” during an Oct. 25, 2004 regular-season game. (There actually was no game that day, but the Patriots did beat the New York Jets 13-7 on Oct. 24.) The Wells Report stated McNally, referred to as “James McNulty” in the letter, was described as the person “in charge of the game day footballs” for the Patriots. He also was the team’s equipment manager at the time and chalked the incident up to “just an honest mistake,” per the report. But Hadhazy wrote in a letter that the Patriots failed to provide a reasonable explanation for the incident and warned the team could face disciplinary action “if a similar incident occurred in the future because it could be interpreted as a competitive violation,” according to the report.

Spygate.

:lol: at a Patriots fan telling us to look at in objectionably. The Patriots have a long and documented history of breaking the rules.

Just stop.

But this isn’t the first time the Patriots — and more specifically locker room attendant Jim McNally — have been accused of an incident involving illegal game balls. McNally, whose incriminating Brady-bashing text messages were included in the DeflateGate report, also came under NFL review in 2004 for allowing practice balls to be used during games. According to the Wells Report, a letter from then-NFL director of game operations Peter Hadhazy dated Nov. 2, 2004 said the incident involved New England ball boys relaying “non-approved practice balls to a game official” during an Oct. 25, 2004 regular-season game. (There actually was no game that day, but the Patriots did beat the New York Jets 13-7 on Oct. 24.) The Wells Report stated McNally, referred to as “James McNulty” in the letter, was described as the person “in charge of the game day footballs” for the Patriots. He also was the team’s equipment manager at the time and chalked the incident up to “just an honest mistake,” per the report. But Hadhazy wrote in a letter that the Patriots failed to provide a reasonable explanation for the incident and warned the team could face disciplinary action “if a similar incident occurred in the future because it could be interpreted as a competitive violation,” according to the report.

Spygate.

:lol: at a Patriots fan telling us to look at in objectionably. The Patriots have a long and documented history of breaking the rules.

Just stop.

lol at the entire country freaking out about a lb or two of psi in a football
  • Like 2

The fact that he destroyed his phone certainly makes him look guilty, but is not relevant. I wouldn't have turned my phone over -AND- he was under advice from his legal counsel not to turn his phone over. There is nothing in the rules or CBA that requires him to make his personal phone available to the NFL.

The unfortunate precedent that is being set here is that the NFL and Goodell don't have to have proof of any wrong doing to administer punishment, they just have to have a strong feeling of guilt. And if you don't like it ... well you can appeal ... of course Goodell will be the one reviewing the repeal, so good luck with that.

• Like 1

The unfortunate precedent that is being set here is that the NFL and Goodell don't have to have proof of any wrong doing to administer punishment, they just have to have a strong feeling of guilt. And if you don't like it ... well you can appeal ... of course Goodell will be the one reviewing the repeal, so good luck with that.

fact. And absurd
  • Like 1

fact. And absurd

hey - it's not the court of law. The nflpa agreed to those terms that were spelled out in the agreement. Players don't like it maybe they shouldn't be pissed at Goodell but the team who negotiated the agreement, oh - and stop cheating.
  • Like 1

listen i know it stinks getting your tail whipped by the patriots repeatedly......but just try for a second to look at things objectively...

because this is relevant.. Stick to the point dude. You got yer Homer goggles on and your vision is cloudy.. Wells didn't say "turn over your phone" but he did ask if they could look at text messages. Edited by Shorttynaz

Just kind of thinking out loud here, if no wrong doing was done, why not reinstate those 2 employees. How come those guys are not in front of reporters screaming at the top of their lungs Brady did nothing wrong.

I find it very convenient those text messages are no longer retrievable. Nice plan team Brady but it backfired. Nice try by Kraft to take a hit for the team hoping it would help sweep this matter under the rug. Oops

Edited by tazinib1