[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirecTV / NFL Ticket (2015)

Shorttynaz

Its that time of year again.

Called DirecTV - told the automated system I want to "cancel my service". Get a rep on the line and he asked what's going on. Same line I give them year after year. "I pay too much for DirecTV and the only thing that keeps me here is the NFL Ticket." After about 5 minutes reviewing my channel lineup and going through some current offers for long time customers, I ended up with:

• RedZone Channel (free)
  • $25/month in bill credits re-added to my account
  • Free HBO for 6 months

Had I wanted the full NFL Sunday Ticket Max (all games plus the weekly game recap where you can watch a full game in less than 30 minutes), their only offer for that right now is half off the regular price. When I had the full package, I NEVER watched anything outside of the RedZone channel anyway - so it's a win/win! :)

Good Luck to the rest of you - I'm interested in knowing what other offers/packages you guys get?

Edited by Shorttynaz

It's apparent it's all depends on how much you pay them a year. We have (I think) choice+, 2 HD DVRs, 2 HD receivers, genie, and no premiums. Our typical bill is roughly $80 month. Not sure what it's supposed to be though. As soon as bill credits fall off I call back and get em put back on. Been with DTV since 2002.

Edited by Shorttynaz

my bill is around 110.

first guy wanted to give me 3 dollars off a month. then he upped that to 10/month. I called back a week later and got retention on the line. They wanted to just cut the price in half to around $175. I just had them take it off my bill. Sick of their honda and I always go to the bar to watch the Browns play anyways. I miss more than half the games by not being home.

Cut Directv totally about 1 month ago. Just started Sling TV this past weekend.

Directv was $125 month

Sling TV $20-$30 month (will not get HBO, maybe two other packages)

NHL Game Center $159

MLB tv $129

VPN $10 / month

total savings of over $800 / year

haven't decided if I'm doing Netflix yet.

Sunday Ticket was THE primary reason I got Dtv years ago. Since I dropped the Ticket a couple of years ago, Dtv hasn't been worth it any more. When I was passed to retention, they didn't even try to talk me out of it. No question "why", or "what can we do for you". And I wasn't rude or angry, actually acted very matter-of-fact.

This song and dance they make you do every year is a farce, and I hope it somehow comes back to bite them. Very frustrating to have to deal with it every year if you don't want to pay the absurd prices/fees they charge.

There's enough football on other channels to get my fix now anyway.

Its that time of year again.

Called DirecTV - told the automated system I want to "cancel my service". Get a rep on the line and he asked what's going on. Same line I give them year after year. "I pay too much for DirecTV and the only thing that keeps me here is the NFL Ticket." After about 5 minutes reviewing my channel lineup and going through some current offers for long time customers, I ended up with:

• RedZone Channel (free)

• $25/month in bill credits re-added to my account

• Free HBO for 6 months

Had I wanted the full NFL Sunday Ticket Max (all games plus the weekly game recap where you can watch a full game in less than 30 minutes), their only offer for that right now is half off the regular price. When I had the full package, I NEVER watched anything outside of the RedZone channel anyway - so it's a win/win! :)

Good Luck to the rest of you - I'm interested in knowing what other offers/packages you guys get?

15 year DTV customer here.

Called 2 weeks ago, as is the routine every summer.

This year I got approx $45 in monthly discounts for premium channels and other features over the next 6 months and about $35 for the following 6 months. Also gave me a $50 statement credit for this month. Free Sunday Ticket (but not Red Zone, which pissed me off). She said I can get the entire Max package at 50% off (costing about $156) or plain old Sunday ticket for free with no Red Zone. She said that I can add Red Zone later on for a $50, a 50% savings. Could not get he to give me Max for free. But at worst I'll be paying $50 to add on Red Zone.

I'll lobby for Red Zone free on my next call in a few weeks otherwise I'll probably just fork out the $50.

Edited by Dcat

the dance saved me about 1400 this year. i got:

free ST max

$45 off/month for 12 months

free movie channels for 6 months

$200 visa gift card

Sounds like what they gave me last year, except I got a $125 gift card. No such luck this year. Just $45 in monthly discounts + free Sunday Ticket (not Max - no Red Zone) plus a $50 statement credit.

Many years ago I got DirecTv specifically for the Sunday Ticket.

Then I found myself not home many Sundays because I was either on a baseball field watching my son or on a softball field watching my daughter. Then when I considered how dang expensive it was to have the Sunday Ticket I came to the obvious conclusion and cancelled my Sunday Ticket. Once I no longer had the Sunday Ticket I was no longer tied to DirecTv and it wasn't long before I switched to Verizon FiOS.

Kids are grown now (so no more baseball/softball) but I'm not going back to DirecTv, ever. Sunday Ticket is too expensive -AND- I don't want to feel like I should be tied to the television all day Sunday because I dropped a load on the Sunday Ticket.

These I content myself to watching as many of the 2 or 3 games on Sunday as time permits. I watch part of the Monday game and I mostly ignore the Thursday game (NFL network really, really sucks).

• Like 1

Wow, I tried this year. They offered me 10% off, then 20%. That was it. I was pretty adamant I couldn't afford much. I guess 20% is the threshold. 15 year customer!

I don't watch other games enough to justify paying much, if anything.

I only want Red Zone, and I do not want AT&T.

BTW, you can find all the games online if you look hard enough. Sure, it's not legal, but that's not our problem! Tee hee.

Yeah - I honestly think it's all about how much you pay each year. If you're locked in a contract or out. Ishtty business, but it's business. Why offer someone something cheaper than the advertised price if the majority won't even think to call in and see if they can get it cheaper.

Not here nor there - but I did the same thing with my internet provider. I called and asked why my bill keeps going up - they say they keep making minimal increases to their rate plan. I asked if I can get some sort of discount for being with them for a few years - they gave me $15/month for 12 months there too. After 12 months, I called back and asked if I can have the bill credits back on, they not only gave them to me, but upped my bandwidth a tier from 50Mbps to 100Mbps. All you gotta do is call, ask, and be nice. They don't owe you anything - so being a dlck won't get you anywhere (not that this is directed at anyone in specific).

Anyway..

Yeah - I honestly think it's all about how much you pay each year. If you're locked in a contract or out. Ishtty business, but it's business. Why offer someone something cheaper than the advertised price if the majority won't even think to call in and see if they can get it cheaper.

Not here nor there - but I did the same thing with my internet provider. I called and asked why my bill keeps going up - they say they keep making minimal increases to their rate plan. I asked if I can get some sort of discount for being with them for a few years - they gave me $15/month for 12 months there too. After 12 months, I called back and asked if I can have the bill credits back on, they not only gave them to me, but upped my bandwidth a tier from 50Mbps to 100Mbps. All you gotta do is call, ask, and be nice. They don't owe you anything - so being a dlck won't get you anywhere (not that this is directed at anyone in specific).

Anyway..

As you said, hondaty business model. Most won't bother to call and try for a better deal, and long standing customers really should get something instead of offering great deals for new customers. Maybe I'll try calling AT&T for some bill credits since I recently hit the end of my year contract that had the killer deals from when I signed (bill went from about 90 to $150 for TV and internet).

I called a couple nights ago. 12 year customer or so. I think I was still under contract from some changes we made last year. They put up no fight at all with me on call number 1 (usually take 3-4 calls). 43 off a month for 12 months, a $50 credit, free ticket and max, showtime for 4 months. Had to sign new 1 year contract. I didnt argue, just said sounds good. I was on hold for 43 minutes before anyone answered. I think they may be feeling the heat of all the new ways to watch tv. I used the customer retention and just said i wanted to cancel because of cost and my kids use the firestick to watch about all their shows. Not bad, ill take it.

• Like 1

Retention is a beautiful thing. Say that word and the bot you are talking to immediately transfers you. I call retention for everything including my cell service. The place I stay at doesn't have direct tv but they do have ATT&T. I told them I could get them a great deal if they let me try.

$50 credit

$45 off bill for 6 months

Bumped to highest tier Internet

Full movie package for 6 months

Premium sports package for 1yr

Major score!!!

Oh I also got them a landline free of charge :huh:

• Like 1

Can you get just the red zone channel? My father and I were just talking about whether or not to keep the ticket. Since it's crazy expensive and all I really watch is red zone and he watches only Patriots games, we are deciding to cancel & go with time warner. Maybe I'll have to give them a call & see what we can get out of them.

Can you get just the red zone channel? My father and I were just talking about whether or not to keep the ticket. Since it's crazy expensive and all I really watch is red zone and he watches only Patriots games, we are deciding to cancel & go with time warner. Maybe I'll have to give them a call & see what we can get out of them.

I got it. See my first post here..

I had a buddy call and get $40/month in bill credits (they have everything - all the movie channels, all the sports tiers, etc) as well as the Sunday Ticket MAX for free. I called back to see if I could get anything else, and the lady told me that all available offers for my account are applied. Best they can do for me is 50% off the Sunday Ticket MAX package.

The average Joe off the street won't know what the guy next to him got - but in a forum like this it does go to show that different people get different things. I'm convinced it depends how long you've been with them and how much you spend.

I've never tried this but I need to. We have the full monty, all premium channels, 1 HDDVR and 3 other HD receivers. I swear our bill is almost $200 a month. And we barely ever watch the premium channels other than their sunday night shows.

Do they put up much of a fight when you call?

I had a buddy call and get $40/month in bill credits (they have everything - all the movie channels, all the sports tiers, etc) as well as the Sunday Ticket MAX for free. I called back to see if I could get anything else, and the lady told me that all available offers for my account are applied. Best they can do for me is 50% off the Sunday Ticket MAX package.

The average Joe off the street won't know what the guy next to him got - but in a forum like this it does go to show that different people get different things. I'm convinced it depends how long you've been with them and how much you spend.

partly that and partly what the person is authorized to give. I think they have so many offers per shift they can give out. I know people with basic service who get the max free and I have 3 TVs and all kinds of other stuff and usually end up with half off and $20 credits and free channels

Not if you ask to speak to retention. The person you initially talk to can't help you. Ask for retention dept.

Don't even go that route. When the automated system asks why you're calling, don't say questions about my bill/account - just say "cancel my service". You're then asked to confirm you want to cancel your service - say yes - you're then automatically routed to the retention department.
  • Like 1

I just called directv today as well. But I did cancel my NFL package and was going to cancel all my premium channels. I got those bill credits and more than half off to keep the premium channels. I'm moving sometime in Sept - Oct so I don't want to do the NFL package at my current home.

Made that call yesterday and I got the Sunday Ticket Max for FREE, 6 months of HBO and other movie channels FREE, an additional $15 dollars off my monthly bill for 12 months, and they credited my full bill this month for being a "loyal" customer...