[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirecTV / NFL Ticket (2015)

Shorttynaz

It was a bit of a fight this year, called the first time and was only offered 15% off and it was a basic take it or leave it..

Called back and said cancel service, told the 1st rep im really annoyed and want cancel, transferred me to cancelation services, they looked up and saw that I got ST Max for free last year, and really didn't want to budge. I basically said I have no issue signing up for Verizon Triple play for $90.. Best I could get was 50% of ST Max, which I took considering I got it free last year.

I already have the premium channel discounts, and a $15 for 15 month discount.

Some bar owners are taking the NFL to court saying that the exclusive deal with direct TV keeps the price up (no competition). They are using anti trust to try to get the NFL to make it available to all providers. There argument is that the MLB, NHL, etc packages are cheaper becuase there is competition.

I think the article said a large sports book in vegas pays around $150K for the package while your local neighborhood bar pays about $5K. Its an interesting argument. I think I read somewhere that the NFL doesn't want sunday ticket available to the masses as it dilutes there TV deals.

I had direct tv for about 10 years and dropped it when I had kids. I spend more time out at the soccer fields and hockey rinks on sundays now than in front of the TV,

A huge metric for pay tv on wall street is subscrber #'s. They have to show they gaining customers or at least not losing them in order to keep the stock price up.

• Like 1

I recently had a chat with a former owner of a bar that we used to go to on a regular basis. He told me that the Sunday Ticket for his bar was based on the 'capacity' his bar could accommodate at any given time. They go by the maximum capacity on file (most restaurants will post this somewhere: max capacity xxx). It doesn't matter if your bar can hold 100 people and you can prove that you usually only get about 30 people in on Sundays - DTV doesn't care. You want it, you pay based on how many people you could potentially share it with..

EDIT: Already found the info on their website. You're paying almost $5k if you own a bar that seats up to 200 people..

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/business/public_packages

Edited by Shorttynaz

Good points on cost to bars, and the reason the NFL (influenced heavily by their TV partners) not wanting it available everywhere and how it dilutes the TV deals. I'm on another board with people who discuss TV broadcasting particularly sports and follow that stuff a lot. People keep saying the NFL needs to open it up to everybody, but the reality is they probably won't. It is worth more as it is structured now (open it up to all may increase subscribers, but the TV partners will not be willing to pay as much if anybody with any TV package can order ST and not watch the regional broadcasts).

It was a bit of a fight this year, called the first time and was only offered 15% off and it was a basic take it or leave it..

Called back and said cancel service, told the 1st rep im really annoyed and want cancel, transferred me to cancelation services, they looked up and saw that I got ST Max for free last year, and really didn't want to budge. I basically said I have no issue signing up for Verizon Triple play for $90.. Best I could get was 50% of ST Max, which I took considering I got it free last year.

I already have the premium channel discounts, and a $15 for 15 month discount.

Actually to check back in on this, I had just looked at my recent activity online, it seems they charged me $176 for ST MAX, then also added on a ST MAX $10/6month credit, so in the end its costing me $116 for it.

It will be interesting to see how AT&T uses the sunday ticket now that they own DTV. Will they use it to gain or keep wireless customers? AT&T spent a lot of money buying and then convincing the government to let the purchase go though. I would bet they will try to leverage the sunday tocket to increase the more profitable parts of their business.

And doesn't verizon have some sort of exclusive deal with the NFL that they use for their wireless customers? And the AT&T uverse cable could come into play here as well.

TV is a changing landscape. Sunday ticket is a loss leader for DTV. It will be interesting to see where this all goes in 5 or 10 years.

I read in the WSJ this weekend that the cable companies do not think they will lose too much businesss to cord cutters over the next 5 to 10 years. Or enough for it to hurt their business. But I don't think they are taking into count innovation, as in someone comes out with the next best thing for tv. Kind of like Apple coming out with their own programing service.

I personally do not think you will ever see sunday ticket going to comcast or verizon. If it were to happen someone like google or apple would have snatch it up and I think DTV just signed a new agreement with the NFL.

Called the first time and was advised best they could do was 33.99 a month for 6 months for just game only deal. Thanked her, declined and hung up.

Called back in three minutes got a different rep and inquired about when my contract ended. Rep asked why I was asking and I politely and truthfully advised I called for a discount on Sunday Ticket and they couldn't make me a good offer. I said my friend got Sunday Ticket max for 167.00 and I was looking for a similar deal. She gave me Sunday Ticket max for 167.00 and 20 bucks off a month for the next year so I was happy to get what I wanted plus a little more.

Similar to the guy above had it for free for several years. When my friend told me the deal he got I thought I would be good with it and that's what I got.

Just called in again to inquire as to why some people get it free, some discounted and some nothing. The most honest answer yet, "loyalty offers". If you haven't missed a payment in the past 12 months, if you didn't get it free last year, you get it comped thus year. If you got it half off last year you'll get it half off this year. There are other loyalty bonuses people earn - for those who aren't football fans such as bill credits, free movie channels, free on demand movies,etc. Usually a rep will only offer 1 or 2 to keep someone from leaving. They will offer the rest if the customer still wants to leave. If there are no other offers they will tell you that.

Just FYI for anyone who hasnt called yet..

• Like 1

I gave them a two week notice to cancel services on Sept 1 with the full intention of doing so. They offered ST MAX for free, I said would have to think about it. A week later I got an offer to discount service, free ST MAX and free movie channels. I took em up on their offer.

I gave them a two week notice to cancel services on Sept 1 with the full intention of doing so. They offered ST MAX for free, I said would have to think about it. A week later I got an offer to discount service, free ST MAX and free movie channels. I took em up on their offer.

nice - how did they contact you regarding the extras??

Finally got it done last night.. it took about 5 calls from June until last night and they had record of all them calls. The reason for calling last night was they never removed the auto renew and my bill spiked. The lady i talked with could see that that was my reason for calling every time since June and that should've been removed. Anyway.. i was just honest with her and asked "how come i cant get the Sunday ticket for free like others, im a loyal customer" and she hit me with these lil nuggets. "The only reason you haven't been successful with this is because the auto renew was still showing on your bill".. so the first thing you have to do is remove that.. Then she said "For our "loyal" customers we give it to them free one year and then charge half price the next then free next year then half price the next"... make since as i had to pay half price last year with multiple "credits" tho so it was basically free last year. just thought i would share my experience, this was definitely my toughest year but that was because they didn't remove the auto renew like i requested. So i got FREE Sunday ticket(not MAX) and 2 new remotes for free this year. Good luck to everyone else.. The lady did say shes not sure what the merger with ATT will do to this deal but i was surprised she admitted the buy 1 year get 1 year scenario

They should not give it free to new subscribers. They should just lower the price and make everyone pay the same amount. Also AT&T is going to try to push the envelope with this. I got sunday ticket University and I am not a college student. You put in a school (any school and your name and it says checking credentials. And then it says approved. I doubt that Schools are giving DTV access to student records. So I got it for $100. Def not the same at having it on DTV but I can stream it through the Roku or watch on my computer or tablet. I used to have DTV but moved and we have tons of trees. DTV came out and told me I had to romove certain trees. Had a guy come out and it was around $3K in tree work.

My battle hasn't gone well, offered 15% off, so I canceled it, along with all movie channels. Hoping for something to happen.

I'd keep trying. The worst you can do is get it at 50% off (ST Max). It's what I was told, and looks like 'TruSoldja 22' got the same story. At least they're semi-transparent now. I would call in - tell the automated system you want to cancel your service, tell it you're not moving, and you will be routed to the correct department. I would ask why everyone around you is getting this package if not for free - but 50% off the standard price. The only deal breaker (what I was told) is if you don't pay your bill on time. At worst you should be able to get the Redzone channel for free. I'd try again. If they don't do anything for you - call their bluff and tell them you're done and just want to cancel - local cable is free - Netflix/Hulu is cheaper than DTV even with paying local cable. If they offer you stuff then - you got it. If not and they proceed with starting the cancellation of service, just hang up - they can't cancel your service without reading some legal script and recording your conformation of wishing to cancel your service.

DTV customer since 1996. We get all the movie channels, sports pack, MLB, etc. Called and spoke with 1st level CSR, all he could do for ST Max was $15.00 off per month. I said no, please connect me with customer retention.

I used to threaten to leave, but since last year, I now am very polite and, since I'm a 19 year customer paying around $200/month, I simply ask what can you do for me, a long-term loyal customer. So, here's the deal I got: $167.96 for ST Max, less a $100.00 credit (total $67.96), plus $43.00 off my bill for the next 6 months (at which time I'll hit them up for a discount on MLB). I might have gotten more, but I'm satisfied with this, and it leaves me some wiggle room in 6 months. YMMV