[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Going up to 14 teams.. Help!

HP43

Ive been running a league for a few years now and have decided for this year to increase to 14 teams instead of 12. What is the best # of roster positions for a 14 man league? How many flex and or bench spots? Thanks!

Just keep it the same as you did with 10 or 12 teams.

My personal preference -

1 QB

1 RB

2 WR

1 TE

2 Flex RB/WR/TE

1 K

1 D

9 starters

7 bench spots

16 total roster spots

With the increased number of teams, I prefer to increase the flex spots and cut RBs to only 1 required. This allows the owners a bit more flexibility in creating their rosters/lineups and a bit more flexibility in having options to cover byes/injuries.

Just keep it the same as you did with 10 or 12 teams.

My personal preference -

1 QB

1 RB

2 WR

1 TE

2 Flex RB/WR/TE

1 K

1 D

9 starters

7 bench spots

16 total roster spots

With the increased number of teams, I prefer to increase the flex spots and cut RBs to only 1 required. This allows the owners a bit more flexibility in creating their rosters/lineups and a bit more flexibility in having options to cover byes/injuries.

This is actually a pretty interesting thing, dropping 1 RB and increasing a flex spot. It really allows for those people deadset on drafting strategies to ...well be deadset on their strategies. I may look into that.

Anyway, as far as the main post goes, this year my primary league went from a 10 to a 12 man, and my LM decreased the bench spot by 1.

QB RB RB WR WR TE FLEX D K and 6 bench (15 total spots). It left a little more wiggle room on the waiver wire if you like a lot of action. It just comes down to how much action on the wire you like.

I like both roster options with the two RB's and the latter with two flex, I think if you only need one RB you'll see the flood gates really open on WR's late in the first round and on especially if it is a PPR, if this is standard scoring there is good value at RB and RB's will still be equally viable flex players..

one RB means the 14th team is probably with D.Murray, Morris, Ellington or Miller

Two RB requirement is 24th being someone like Gore, Ingram, Martin, L. Murray (which are all starters)

I think two RB's is a slightly better format in my opinion..

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, Flex, TE, D, K

personally I don't like the 1 RB roster. You may end up with guys playing 4 WR and 1 RB?? I know it gets thin but there are 32 teams in the league which means there are RB's to be had to fill out a 2 RB roster. To each their own but I think you need to require 2 RB's in the starting line up and have only 1 flex spot. It just means guys need to do their homework for the draft.

personally I don't like the 1 RB roster. You may end up with guys playing 4 WR and 1 RB?? I know it gets thin but there are 32 teams in the league which means there are RB's to be had to fill out a 2 RB roster. To each their own but I think you need to require 2 RB's in the starting line up and have only 1 flex spot. It just means guys need to do their homework for the draft.

Allowing for flexibility leads to the need to do more preparation, not less. You have to do a lot more comparison of player values across positions, not just within the position. Limiting the flexibility of a lineup severely limits the need to do this. Also, with 14 teams, you go much deeper into the draft pool meaning you have to do that much more research as now players that would be buried on the bench in a smaller league are being looked at as an every week starter. Who cares if a guy starts 1 RB and 4 WRs, he could also start 3 RBs and 3 WRs if he felt that was the lineup that would score the most for him. The added flexibility adds added complexity to the draft strategy and to the lineup decision process.

just a thought, with that many teams I would say you would have to drop whatever position you picked up to maybe help the available player pool.

Why help it? This is a game of strategy - if an owner wants to hoard RBs at the detriment of his depth at the other positions, let him. If it pays off and he can trade one for an upgrade, good for him. if it backfires and he can't find a trade partner and his lack of depth elsewhere hurts him, that's on him, but at the end of the day it is essential that you allow managers to run their teams the way they feel best allows them to win.

Allowing for flexibility leads to the need to do more preparation, not less. You have to do a lot more comparison of player values across positions, not just within the position. Limiting the flexibility of a lineup severely limits the need to do this. Also, with 14 teams, you go much deeper into the draft pool meaning you have to do that much more research as now players that would be buried on the bench in a smaller league are being looked at as an every week starter. Who cares if a guy starts 1 RB and 4 WRs, he could also start 3 RBs and 3 WRs if he felt that was the lineup that would score the most for him. The added flexibility adds added complexity to the draft strategy and to the lineup decision process.

Why help it? This is a game of strategy - if an owner wants to hoard RBs at the detriment of his depth at the other positions, let him. If it pays off and he can trade one for an upgrade, good for him. if it backfires and he can't find a trade partner and his lack of depth elsewhere hurts him, that's on him, but at the end of the day it is essential that you allow managers to run their teams the way they feel best allows them to win.

I think it makes it more challenging if you have to start 2 RB's. It's more fun that way

Edited by Finn5033