[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Strategy Based on Draft Order?

GoldenEagle81

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see any member information on draft strategy based on your draft order. I am #3 in a 12 team league, and I'm not really liking my options in round two on the mock drafts I've done so far.

I pay for the huddle bc I'm admittedly not great at FF without expert help. Anybody?

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see any member information on draft strategy based on your draft order. I am #3 in a 12 team league, and I'm not really liking my options in round two on the mock drafts I've done so far.

I pay for the huddle bc I'm admittedly not great at FF without expert help. Anybody?

Yeah I'm the same in my re-draft league. Not a great spot as I'd be probably be happier at #5 to get the RB I want then have a better shot at an elite WR in R2 from the #20 pick rather than #22.

It is hard to develop any specific draft strategy unless you can predict the draft behavior of your opponents with a high degree of accuracy. You can obviously have a general draft strategy, something like best available player. Or you can have a general desire to end up with a certain number of positions by x round. But getting more specific than that is going to be difficult because you don't know when the runs will happen and how long they will last.

You can win from any draft spot. The key is to let the draft come to you and don't get locked in to a strategy that limits your options. I have had success in all draft spots. In fact, I have had just as much success from early drafts slots as late. I was tempted to move from 2 to 12 this year. I stuck with 2 but the drafts seem to be getting deeper and deeper. The draft doesn't really start until rounds 3 through 10 so if you don't make a fatal mistake in the first 2 rounds you have plenty of opportunity to build a solid team. Draft position was far more important a decade ago when RB's and the running game was king. Now the game is more about down the field passing which gives way more depth in the league with regards to receivers and TE's getting you points.

• Like 2

But getting more specific than that is going to be difficult because you don't know when the runs will happen and how long they will last.

It's kind of like trying to plan out a vacation in Mexico. You don't know when the runs will come or how long they will last, you just know that they will come.

• Like 2

It's kind of like trying to plan out a vacation in Mexico. You don't know when the runs will come or how long they will last, you just know that they will come.

LMAO! Great advice.

In all honesty the guys who win in the 12 team league I run have picked 5 or later. In 5 years we haven't had a guy win that drafted 1st through 4th. The guy who won last year picked last.

IMO winning is more a function of free agent/trading activity during the season and less about where a person drafts/what team he has after draft day. As well as how well you dodge the injury bug ... it can be very difficult to recover from losing your first overall draft pick to injury.

• Like 1

Not sure why everyone is dancing around the question. With the 3rd pick in the draft, in general... draft the best available of these positions in order... unless some great value falls into your lap.

RB

WR

WR

RB

WR

RB

TE

QB

There ya go, all laid out for you... CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Edited by DiehardSteeler

IMO winning is more a function of free agent/trading activity during the season and less about where a person drafts/what team he has after draft day. As well as how well you dodge the injury bug ... it can be very difficult to recover from losing your first overall draft pick to injury.

This. The guys who win championships in my leagues are the ones who A. draft extreme talent late such as a Julius Thomas or B. make fortuitous and savy free agent picks such as the running back Asiata that took over for the Vikings last year after AP. Trades are probably a big part in most leagues, but in mine people are a-holes and don't wanna cooperate with trades.

The draft is only one part. Keep in mind that someone you draft with high hopes is gonna let you down. For me in 2013 it was Trent Richardson and last year it was Keneen Allen.

Edited by AX2RUN

+100. This should almost be the end of the thread because it makes too much sense. Get what the draft gives you in your specific spot, but know that anyone you draft is liable to get injured or miss games. That's why fantasy football is so frustrating yet rewarding at the same time. I find I spend more time looking at people who I can pick up during the regular season from free agency than on the initial draft picks themselves.

Oh, and don't fall in love with a strategy. Have a general idea of who you want based on your league settings and draft position, but look at drop offs in projections by position too. Let the numbers do the talking sometimes. None of us have the trick to win. It's a game of luck. It's gambling. However, you can increase your chances of winning by drafting logically and paying close attention to the wire throughout the season.