[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In-person Drafting and Wi-Fi

The 13ers

I was wondering if anyone holds online drafts in person.

I've been a commissioner of my league for 16 years. It's always been an in person draft, with the draft board and stickers.

We've had people draft remotely every year.

One year one person was on the golf course. One year, we couldn't get good phone reception from one guy. Most years, it's "ok, now it's Gary's turn. Let's call him for his pick:. Then you tell him who got picked. Etc. Then you wait for him to make his picks. It's really a bad deal for most of the league to have to wait. But, we're all friends and I've always encouraged us to be friendly league. So, there's always grumbling, but we get by.

In any case, I've decided to go to an in-person, online draft to make it easier for everyone. So if you want to stay home and draft, you can. If you're on a golf course, you can still make your picks. It's also easier to input the players, since Yahoo will do that for me.

I believe I'll get 9-10(out of 12) people to show up for the draft.

My question is does anyone know if my wi-fi will be able to handle 9 people drafting via wi-fi all at once?

It's a standard router from Time Warner. Arris DG860. I have the fastest connection TW allows here. 50Mbps top.

I'm concerned someone will get kicked out or dropped unexpectedly. That would be very, very bad, especially if they're on the clock.

Thanks for any help!

I was in a league where we tried this and the answer is no. It will most likely not work. The problem with doing that is guys will lose their connection and then not be able to make their pick in the time they are given so the computer will give them whoever the next ranked player is. It will turn into a bigger headache than doing what you have been doing.

I was wondering if anyone holds online drafts in person.

I've been a commissioner of my league for 16 years. It's always been an in person draft, with the draft board and stickers.

We've had people draft remotely every year.

One year one person was on the golf course. One year, we couldn't get good phone reception from one guy. Most years, it's "ok, now it's Gary's turn. Let's call him for his pick:. Then you tell him who got picked. Etc. Then you wait for him to make his picks. It's really a bad deal for most of the league to have to wait. But, we're all friends and I've always encouraged us to be friendly league. So, there's always grumbling, but we get by.

In any case, I've decided to go to an in-person, online draft to make it easier for everyone. So if you want to stay home and draft, you can. If you're on a golf course, you can still make your picks. It's also easier to input the players, since Yahoo will do that for me.

I believe I'll get 9-10(out of 12) people to show up for the draft.

My question is does anyone know if my wi-fi will be able to handle 9 people drafting via wi-fi all at once?

It's a standard router from Time Warner. Arris DG860. I have the fastest connection TW allows here. 50Mbps top.

I'm concerned someone will get kicked out or dropped unexpectedly. That would be very, very bad, especially if they're on the clock.

Thanks for any help!

Reviews are not very favorable on the WiFi capabilities of the Arris modem/router device. Your internet can handle it for sure, so you may want to consider picking up a stand alone WiFi router and setting up a new network. The newer routers can handle that many people easily and depending on the webhost for the league it doesn't use a lot of bandwith. Don't forget to disable the WiFi on the Arris modem if you do go that route (and if possible).

Reviews are not very favorable on the WiFi capabilities of the Arris modem/router device. Your internet can handle it for sure, so you may want to consider picking up a stand alone WiFi router and setting up a new network. The newer routers can handle that many people easily and depending on the webhost for the league it doesn't use a lot of bandwith. Don't forget to disable the WiFi on the Arris modem if you do go that route (and if possible).

This. Don't get the modem/router combo. It's ok for moms house (literally - I got one for my mom) as she only has a phone and a laptop. There's not a lot of connections to it. But when you introduce 6,8,10+ connections to it, good luck! If wifi drafting is the way you go, I certainly recommend a stand alone router just as Def did.

Log on as the commissioner and enter the picks for everybody that is there in person ... so only you will need to be on wifi

This.

If everbody there has a smart phone or other device and is on your WiFi connection you can bet they'll be doing draft research and other stuff that will suck up the band with (whether your router is the bottleneck or the throughput to your ISP.

How many people in your home use that WiFi now, does it get slower if there are more. You could try a simulated test with family and friends before the draft.

We hold our draft in person, we had one owner for years who was on the west coast (we're in Cleveland area) and he'd draft over the phone (speaker phone in a conference room at my office were about half the owners work). Last year I took my tablet to the draft to do some last minute checking of stuff as we draft and kept losing the connection. We've discussed doing it online instead, and the plan would probably have the commish (2 co-commish) enter the picks for those present, so they all don't need the connection.

I've had two smartphones, a desktop, a lap top and an ipad all online at once and no issues.

I can add one more smartphone to this and see if it is still ok.

I'd like to test with the yahoo draft room going.

But I'll have to create a bunch of dummy accounts to accomplish this.

I'm hoping everyone arrives early enough to make sure we can all get on.

We can always have people use their phone service to draft as well. But that sucks up their data plan. But if they're like me, they hardly use it since we can use wi-fi so much.

We've had our draft on the Tuesday after Labor Day at 6:30PM for going on 15 years. And we still have owners who are suddenly busy that night and cannot break their plans. I can see if it is work (like one of my co-workers who is a salesman and travels a lot). They always say "well can we do it another time" no, this has been the same day with the same group of owners for years. If you cannot be available find a replacement.