[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ray Rice ..... Is the wait nearing an end?

tazinib1

For me, I believe Rice has plenty of gas left. His 2013 season was an inomily IMO. If you look at his stats prior to that, his 4yr stretch (rookie yr excluded) is phenomenal.

The Browns owner just came out today expressing he believed Rice deserves another shot. A public opinion feeler perhaps? Whatever the case, I 100% believe he will play this year and produce.

Edited by tazinib1
  • Like 1

There are plenty of RB free agents out there of similar quality. I don't think Rice will ever be a starter again if he even lands on a team. Teams have moved on. He has not had any football activity in over a year and he's 28. It does not help his case that he only had a 3.1 YPC in 2013. He looks like a RB that had four good heavy use years and is done. He averaged nearly 2000 yards per season from 2009 to 2011. Add in the whole "sock your spouse" thing and there is no upside to an NFL team.

• Like 1

Whether he has gas left or not is largely irrelevant IMO - the perception the NFL has of him is that he was already on the downhill slide of his career with declining stats PLUS he is hitting an age considered "old" for running backs. I just don't see any team willing to take on the luggage to see if he might have something left.

I do believe he is remorseful ... but no so much because he hit his girl but more because he got caught and their were huge consequences. I believe he is saying whatever he thinks he needs to say to get another shot.

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 1

Declining stats???? Please explain.

And just for the record, I'm not suggesting Rice would come back and light the world on fire. But to say he has nothing left to contribute to a team is ludicrous. Some NFL team will bite. He played 2013 with a significant injury behind a mediocre OL. He's defiantly worth a gamble on a vet minimum 1yr deal.

Edited by tazinib1
  • Like 1

2011 4.7 YPC

2012 4.4 YPC

2013 3.1 YPC

Hasn't played football in over a year, is hitting the age considered old for RBs, carries negative baggage with him wherever he goes.

As Cleveland discovered there will be a public backlash for any team that signs him ... I don't think teams are going to face the public backlash on the outside chance that Rice might have a couple good games left in him.

There are plenty of other players that can be had for league minimum that can contribute as much as Rice without the baggage.

• Like 1

He's not coming here.

Hope you're right and agree basically. This is a lot of media smoke and inaccurate reporting as far as I've read. The Browns are discussing options but have no immediate plans to sign any veteran RB. Rice may be part of the discussion but claims that Pettine said they've discussed signing Rice are at best stretching the truth. With the ties that Pettine and RB coach Montgomery have to the Ravens and Rice of course they'll be asked "could that guy be Rice".

2011 4.7 YPC

2012 4.4 YPC

2013 3.1 YPC

Hasn't played football in over a year, is hitting the age considered old for RBs, carries negative baggage with him wherever he goes.

As Cleveland discovered there will be a public backlash for any team that signs him ... I don't think teams are going to face the public backlash on the outside chance that Rice might have a couple good games left in him.

There are plenty of other players that can be had for league minimum that can contribute as much as Rice without the baggage.

Tried to point out those stats in an early Rice discussion and was given a bunch of excuses for his decline. I think DMD's post in the thread is spot on, his talent and ability does not outweigh his PR issues when compared with other options. (Surprised Taz and others on the "Rice will be signed" side didn't ask him for a list of those other FA RBs.

Hope you're right and agree basically. This is a lot of media smoke and inaccurate reporting as far as I've read. The Browns are discussing options but have no immediate plans to sign any veteran RB. Rice may be part of the discussion but claims that Pettine said they've discussed signing Rice are at best stretching the truth. With the ties that Pettine and RB coach Montgomery have to the Ravens and Rice of course they'll be asked "could that guy be Rice".

Tried to point out those stats in an early Rice discussion and was given a bunch of excuses for his decline. I think DMD's post in the thread is spot on, his talent and ability does not outweigh his PR issues when compared with other options. (Surprised Taz and others on the "Rice will be signed" side didn't ask him for a list of those other FA RBs.

I don't need a list of other potential FA RB's lol. I know who they are.

I think there are positives for being away from the game for a year too. His body has had a chance to heal. I think you are underestimating his understanding of the game when saying that you can grab a bunch of other guys that can give just as much to a team. Even if I was just looking for a third down back, I would take a chance on him because of his pass protection and receiving skills.

And as far as the backlash, there wasn't a ton of it for the Cowboys signing Hardy. I know those that "need video evidence" instead of court convictions and police reports will say that there is a difference. There isn't.

I've been rough on the Cowboys for taking a shot on Hardy. If there was a way to just ban these guys I would be good with it. There isn't. If you are going to forgive one, why not both?

I think there are positives for being away from the game for a year too. His body has had a chance to heal. I think you are underestimating his understanding of the game when saying that you can grab a bunch of other guys that can give just as much to a team. Even if I was just looking for a third down back, I would take a chance on him because of his pass protection and receiving skills.

And as far as the backlash, there wasn't a ton of it for the Cowboys signing Hardy. I know those that "need video evidence" instead of court convictions and police reports will say that there is a difference. There isn't.

I've been rough on the Cowboys for taking a shot on Hardy. If there was a way to just ban these guys I would be good with it. There isn't. If you are going to forgive one, why not both?

The full season bans do include a requirement to apply to be reinstated which the commissioner must approve. So in a way that can become a lifetime ban. I thought that applied to Rice, and AP the latter did apply and was reinstated, hadn't heard if Rice did.

As for the backlash, an article in the Cleveland paper talking about him being considerd "Haslam said 'I'd be ok with it'" had a lot of negative comment say no to the wife beater. Granted an online article always garners negative comments, but I think dismissing the PR issue is shortsighted.

The full season bans do include a requirement to apply to be reinstated which the commissioner must approve. So in a way that can become a lifetime ban. I thought that applied to Rice, and AP the latter did apply and was reinstated, hadn't heard if Rice did.

As for the backlash, an article in the Cleveland paper talking about him being considerd "Haslam said 'I'd be ok with it'" had a lot of negative comment say no to the wife beater. Granted an online article always garners negative comments, but I think dismissing the PR issue is shortsighted.

I'm pretty sure Rice is free to sign with any team at this point.

Should Cleveland really be turning down anyone who is willing to go play for that offense? I get standards, but come on. Be realistic. Take help where you can get it!

Simply put, if he has not signed with any team so far, despite the glaring needs on a few teams, then the NFL talent evalorators do not believe he brings anything more to the team then they already have. 32 teams have passed on him over and over. Which means it is over. The best he can hope for is injuries to ravage a team and he comes on as depth (which has already happened in HOU and sort of DAL and no one wanted him).

Say goodnight, Ray. You were spectacular for a four year stretch. Hope you saved your money.

In today's world of multi-media the video of Ray Rice knocking out his girl went viral. It breached the boundary of NFL and NFL fans and spilled into the mainstream. The video showed a brutal act of violence with Ray Rice displaying zero remorse.

I doubt many outside of the world of NFL really know anything about Hardy and certainly didn't get to see a video of him brutalizing his girl. It is easier for the world to down play what Hardy did because they don't have a video running through their head. Is it right, certainly not, but it is what it is.

But in the end ... there was a team that felt like Hardy could still contribute and there is no team that feels like Rice can still contribute. I promise you if there was a team that thought Rice could still contribute like he did in 2011 he would be on a team, hell he'd be a Cowboy.

• Like 2